SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 1 john 3:8

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

1 john 3:8

The person who lives a sinful life belongs to the devil, because the devil has been committing sin since the beginning. The reason that the Son of God appeared was to destroy what the devil does.

1 John 3:8 God's Word Translation

I am absolutely terrified of this verse... lets talk about this.

Joe

2009/1/17 2:27Profile
HeartSong

Re: 1 john 3:8

Hello Joe,

Why does this terrify you?

2009/1/17 2:42Profile
Logic

You use a very bad translaton/interpretation of the Bible.

Quote:
joeSOC wrote:
The person who lives a sinful life [b]belongs[/b] to the devil, because the devil has been committing sin since the beginning. The reason that the Son of God appeared was to destroy what the devil does.

[b]1John 3:8[/b] [color=990000]He that is committing sin is of the devil;[/color]
It does not say that sinners "belong" to the devil, but are "[b]OF[/b]" or even "from" the devil.
The word "of" denots origin.
These two verses have the same word for "OF" as "from" & "out"
[b]Mat 13:49[/b] [color=990000]So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked [b]from[/b][/color] (or of) [color=990000]among the just,[/color]
[b]Mat 13:52[/b] [color=990000]Mat 13:52 Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe who is instructed concerning the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is a householder, who brings forth [b]out[/b][/color] (or of) [color=990000] of his treasure things new and old. [/color]

So, IOW, [b]1John 3:8[/b] He that is committing sin, his intentions are from the same as where the devil's intention is from; that is ones own selfish desires.

Quote:
I am absolutely terrified of this verse... lets talk about this.

The thing to be terrified of is yourself, not of belonging to the devil.
What are your intentions for everything that you do?

2009/1/17 22:45Profile
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Re:

It terrifies me when I sin, which i do quite frequently. I wish i was not this way. I try my best, sometimes i win but most times i fail.

2009/1/19 6:23Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Dear Joe, no need to be terrified. Make the
Son of God your reason and purpose for living;
and you will receive His Nature, which is holy
and perfect, and His power, which will destroy
the works of the enemy in your life!!

2009/1/19 9:37Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
joeSOC wrote:
It terrifies me when I sin, which i do quite frequently. I wish i was not this way. I try my best, sometimes i win but most times i fail.

Reproofs of instruction are the way of life: Prob 6:23b

IOW, thats the way it goes.
Sinless perfection is posible, but improbable.

John expected that people will sin [b]1John 2:1[/b] [color=990000]...if any man sin, we have an advocate...James knew that he, himself sins, along with the reast of mankind[/color]

[b]James 3:2a[/b] [color=990000]For in many things we all offend.[/color]

[b]Proverbs 24:16[/b] [color=990000]For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again, But the wicked stumble in time of calamity.[/color]

[b]Psalm 37:23[/b] [color=990000]The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and HE delights in his way.
[b]:24[/b] Though he falls, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholds him with his hand.[/color]
Notice that God delights in the man “THOUGH HE FALLS” He is even called a good man.

It’s not being based on sin, but what he does WHEN he sins; which is getting right back up.

2009/1/19 13:48Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy