SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do you seek the Lord

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dohzman

How do you seek the Lord

I thought as an off shoot from the thread who is responsible for this state of affairs thread, I would ask a serious question, one which I can honestly say I can't answer for myself, and that's why I ask.

Here's the question: What are some of the ways you folks seek the Lord in major life changing decissions for direction in your life.

Now I know that we are all to seek the Lord but I'm talking major changes not your everyday type of walk. In my life I've been on auto pilot for so long....well several months ago everything turned upside down and every support I have known for at least the last 15 or so years was knocked out from under me. Now I'm not the brightest light on the ttree but even I know that "hey maybe the Lord is saying something specific here". So I ask in all sincerity, what scripture, methods regimen etc... you folks use in seeking God for those major life changing moves?

2009/1/14 8:46Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: How do you seek the Lord

Read the Bible and ask for counsel from other Christians. Pray for wisdom and discernment. I do not expect, nor do I think the Bible ever directs us to seek for some kind of extra Biblical revelation regarding our decisions. The Bible commands us to seek to obey the revealed will of God - it never tells to seek out the hidden will of God (his predestined plan for the future), etc.

Here is a great article on this view of decision making: http://www.gfriesen.net/sections/willofgod_principles.php

2009/1/14 8:56Profile
Onesimus4God

Tickfaw, Louisiana USA

Re:

The Bible proclaims that it is the Holy Spirit "who leads and guides into all truth". If we are not following after the Spirit, we follow after the flesh. Paul said follow after the Spirit and you will not fulfill the desires of the flesh.
So, to extend the topic, how does one follow after the Spirit?

2009/1/14 11:09Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

There is a prayer I often use: LORD GOD, let
Your priorities be my priorities. Let Your
purposes be my purposes. Let Your Word be my
guide and my wisdom. Let Your Will be my will.
And let me grow in the knowledge of Your saving
grace and in the truth of your salvation.

2009/1/14 17:32Profile
TracyInMD

Maryland, USA

Hi dohzman.
Interesting timing, because I just saw this sermon by John Piper titled, [url=http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Sermons/ByDate/2004/179_What_Is_the_Will_of_God_and_How_Do_We_Know_It/]"What Is the Will of God and How Do We Know It?" [/url]

I've come to seek first His kingdom and righteousness and then see what happens. At every given moment, no matter what situation comes up before me, I try to "do God's word" (obey the Bible) in character, behavior. This has been so powerful, yielding much fruit. Not fruit to build my life, but fruit for His glory.

Daily in prayer I tell Him that my life is not my own and that He can do with it as He wishes. It IS already His, but I guess maybe I'm reminding myself.

2009/1/14 20:41Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

dohzman,
It is tragic when you feel like the props have been knocked out from under you. This will generate more questions then answers and what you want right now are the answers. Sounds like other people, including me.

The hard questions that come from major events cannot be answered very quickly and I am not sure there is a 'one size fits all' answer. The main thing is to not react in any way that is unScriptural.

In my life as I read the Word, study Biblical history as recorded in the Bible I see a stark contrast in those saints' walk with the LORD in comparison to my own. I became aware they are not special people except in their walk with the LORD. And how did they do that? Is it also available for me? If not, why bother to write about them? Since I was so perplexed I decided to talk to the LORD about it and did. I ask Him to teach me to recognize his voice when he speaks to me so I can do as he pleases. I know pleasing Him will open the way to heart to heart communications with Him and this I desire. So I have been working on this and I am still on kindergarten level, learning the 'sounds'. I also learned it must be asked for each and every day; it is not a one time request and hope that will serve for all time.

Don't know if this helps but trust it will. God wants our trust and many times he will allow our props to be knocked out from us to facilitate it.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/1/14 20:41Profile
Onesimus4God

Tickfaw, Louisiana USA

Hi Dozy,
I just made a radical change in my life. I was living in Phoenix. My oldest son lives in Winslow, Arizona. As I visited him, I began to get this burden for the town. Just this mix between a heavy spirit and a grieved spirit. So I gave in and moved up here. At the same moment in time, I took stock of all interests toxic to my walk with God in holiness. I through it all out. If the Holy Spirit showed it to me, it was and is gone, regardless. I finally gave up TV all together. I spend my entire day with God, reading, writing, studying. I go out into the streets and pray, talk to people. I have started taking a place in an open field and reading the Word outloud and praying over the town.
It's a poor town. Satan has had his way for a long time. But every day since I have been here, God has confirmed that the choice I made was His choice for me. I know I am exactly where I should be. Living each day in Him produces incredible love and devotion, passion for souls, and for God's glory to abound. It's awesome.
If you or anyone has been compromising, even just a little, throw it down. Repent like I did and cast it out! You'll be so glad you did. Live only for God, and He will just burst onto the scene.

to be continued....

"O"

2009/3/17 20:34Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Hello dohzman,

Reading the Bible, especially Psalms is where I turn when I am experiencing distress. Also, I read through the journals I have kept for a good part of my married life. When I am in danger it is a comfort to read of past dangers God has safely brought me through. He saved my soul and my life countless times. God is the same, yesterday, today and tomorrow. I know He will always be with me. (and you).

When you read the Psalms it is illuminating to read David's life so you will know what was going on when he wrote them.

This scripture has brought me through many a trial:

Quote:
Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

and this one (I have a melody I use to sing it to myself, it is great to realize there is nothing we go thorough that is new)
Quote:
1 Peter 4:12: Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: 13: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

Kind regards,
white stone

2009/3/17 22:50Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy