SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : theophostics and deliverance ministry advice

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
catgee

theophostics and deliverance ministry advice

I have recently been asked to join a deliverance ministry at our new church and with all honesty, have been quiet in my response.

The team is very involved in a method called Theophostics, and further investigation has left me perturbed and aware of something amiss.

Apart from the root of this method being a foundational tool in their deliverance/ intercessory prayer meetings, I have also been confused at the method of 'casting out spirits'

eg; ' the spirit of Jezebel, I remove the tenticles from this ladies back and send you to the place ordained for you' ( paraphrased)

My spirit is troubled by the above and I have sought God on this matter as well as His Word. To me, it is not biblical and I discern a greater deviance at work here.

Any thoughts or experience with this type of ministry?

thanks

2009/1/9 12:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: theophostics and deliverance ministry advice

If somebody is unsaved and has a demonic spirit, you simply have to cast it out. If somebody has simply made room for the devil in their "christian" life, and is being used as a tool for him to cause destruction in the church, it is entirely unbiblical to "rebuke" the demon in their life in the form of prayer. Brethren who have sin in their life simply need to repent of their sin and move on.

Stay far away from deliverance ministries. They are simply playing games with God, the devil, and themselves. There is no Scriptural basis to "deliverance" ministry, let alone "teams," which is why you have to buy their books and go to their seminars/classes to learn what they've learned from "experience."

He whom the Son has set free is free indeed. Suggest to your friends at church that they should stop playing charismatic charades, and that you'll have nothing to do with the magical land of make believe that they've entered into (I say this in love).

2009/1/9 12:27Profile
graceamazed

Tennessee

Re:

Having spent a season of my Christian walk intrigued by the "deliverance" ministries, I have come now to realize that many of these "Christians" that needed to have demons expelled from them, quite possibly had never been regenerated to begin with. I do believe in the reality of demonic possession or oppression and that God has given authority to His people to rebuke and cast them out, BUT...there have definately been gross abuses and extrapulations of this biblical truth. These deliverance ministers will have you looking for demons behind every hiccup and sneeze.

Once I stopped fighting demons and just set my eyes on the glory of God, it was amazing how there were fewer and fewer "demons" to have to battle. I would say, stay away from ministries that major on the aspect of deliverance, instead gravitate towards brother and sisters who are passionate about seeking to know God.

2009/1/9 13:09Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Do you believe that our bodies are just "hosts"
to whatever spirits happen to occupy and use
them?? This silly belief is at the heart of
this so-called deliverance ministry. Our bodies
are meant to Have One and Only One Spirit dwell
within; the HOLY SPIRIT of truth!!

2009/1/9 14:28Profile
MisterCheez

Colorado

I would like to mention a few thoughts:

#1 Demonic activity is real. For those who have either experienced deliverence from demonic oppression and/or have seen someone else manifesting the demonic, there is little doubt.

#2 Jesus cast out demons but he didn't make a big production out of it and didn't seem to be teaching disciples to major on demonology. Many of these ministries which start to gain extra-Biblical knowledge (often directly from lying demons themselves) seem to have gone awry. Something seems amiss when deliverance ministers feel the need to douse every square inch of their property in anointing oil, memorize complex demands (ie: remove your tentacles from this lady's back) and study evil beings most of the time.

#3 Jesus gives believers power over the demonic. Dave Wilkerson has mentioned how he became very depressed and scared when he started to study a long book about demon powers. When he prayed about it, his impression was that God didn't want Dave concentrating on evil but, rather, on God's glory, goodness and overwhelming power - all much greater than any demon power.

#4 I have found that seeking God wholeheartedly and with obedience produces automatic deliverance. Not to say that the Holy Spirit won't have you pray specifically against some evil spirit but, ultimately, if anyone seeks God and the truth - he/she will be set free.

So I would caution you not to completely disregard the value of prayer for deliverance but be very careful around ministries which get you to concentrate deeply on the details of evil - especially the extra-Biblical ones.

May God lead you and us all in the truth.

2009/1/9 22:14Profile
catgee

Re:

Thank you all for confirming my understanding of this. It is difficult when one is in a new church and I have not wanted to throw stones or cause division.

I know what God has called me to, I believe that only the holy Spirit inhabits a true, soul regenerated believer and I do believe, once free, then free indeed!

I wait on the Lord for more guidance and continue to love my brothers and sisters, yet not partake of this line.

It is however, troubling that such things are let rampant in God's house and many people are hurt and this concerns me greatly.

Do we stay in this church or not, well, may God show me His will!

Thanks

2009/1/10 4:07Profile
BevF

Hello,

What you are describing does not sound at all like Theophostic Prayer Ministry. Please refer to www.theophostic.com :-D

2009/7/20 17:40Profile

I paroused the theophistic site TPM, and it seems to be a rerun of the old "Inner healing" movement of the 80s and 90s. You know, guided imagery, visualization of the "hurt" moment, and then visualization of Jesus, strolling in to heal everyone involved. It new age nonsense, the "anointed healers of the psyche'", and overall has done a great deal of harm in the church, and is , I might add, totally unbiblical as you noted. They make it up as they go along.

Your church may have picked up a variation or a mix of that. It doesn't seem that the TPM are high on actual demon possession, but more "wounds to the soul" causing sick people, and TPM is the formula to make them well.

One thing it does, and that is establish a venue for the superspiritual, that may satisfy their need of acknowledged ministry. How does the ministry team , in the situation you described, with Jezebel and all, know that her tentacles were on this gal's back?; A vivid imagination, I would suggest. Then, when this woman gets depressed, or angry, which certainly will happen, [ because it happens to us all...], then it is surely because Jezebel is back.

This was very big in Charismania in the last decade, until enough people got disillusioned with the witch hunt, and realized there was nothing to it anyway, except a trail of confusion. I would advise you to consider why your shepherds would allow something like this, if they were not in agreement with it? How can two walk together unless they are in agreement?

This is not a ministry of the Holy Spirit, I promise you, so in the end, the ball is in your court. What will you do here? Will you also be reluctant to speak up?..."quiet in your response".

When a church slides into apostasy, it often creates it own excitement and ministry as a substitute for the presence of God via entertainment, or the bizzare manifestations of bent power like Todd Bentley This justifies everyone as being in the thick of discipleship; the heart of ministry. This seems like that to me, a cheap imitation of true apostolic Power.

My advice to you is to find a small home group that cares about one another, and loves Jesus, and is willing to obey Him. There you may find some reality in a more down to earth setting, and actually develop some friendships as you pursue maturity in Christ. I think this church has become compromised, and remember, a LITTLE leaven leavens the whole lump. I have hope for you with my prayer.

catgee wrote:
I have recently been asked to join a deliverance ministry at our new church and with all honesty, have been quiet in my response.

The team is very involved in a method called Theophostics, and further investigation has left me perturbed and aware of something amiss.

Apart from the root of this method being a foundational tool in their deliverance/ intercessory prayer meetings, I have also been confused at the method of 'casting out spirits'

eg; ' the spirit of Jezebel, I remove the tenticles from this ladies back and send you to the place ordained for you' ( paraphrased)

My spirit is troubled by the above and I have sought God on this matter as well as His Word. To me, it is not biblical and I discern a greater deviance at work here.

Any thoughts or experience with this type of ministry?

thanks

2009/7/20 19:16

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy