SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : The difference between grace and mercy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Theophilos77

Daphne, Al.

The difference between grace and mercy

I was introduced to this site while searching for more reflections on the topic the "difference between grace and mercy" After reading and meditating on the comments written on the subject on this site and others, the thought surfaced into my mind, a thought of emphasis that I would like to share i.e.that,
The difference between grace and mercy is simply this:
Mercy is us humans reaching out to God asking Him not to give us what we know we deserve(i.e. according to the Law, justice, judgment,wraft and punishment) and
Grace is God reaching out to us humans to give us freely something that we need,that we could never earn,merit or deserve. {i.e. acceptance; adoption;access into His presence;eternal life; shareholders of His eternal inheritance; salvation etc.)

2009/1/9 8:19Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: The difference between grace and mercy

There is a subtle difference between grace and mercy. In reality, they are two sides of the same coin. However, I think the subtle difference between the two is this: Grace is attitude of God by which He is disposed to favor one. Mercy is the action, or working out of that favor, whereby we are treated better than we deserve.

2009/1/9 9:17Profile
dab

Kentucky

I've often heard it said that mercy IS NOT receiving from God what we DO deserve (i.e. His wrath), and grace IS receiving from God what we DO NOT deserve (i.e. salvation, forgiveness - well how long could this list be!)

2009/1/9 9:29Profile
A-Run

India

[url=http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/video_message.php?issue=95&date=07_04&title=The+Missing+Messages+In+Today%26rsquo%3Bs+Christianity+%26nbsp%3B+-+%26nbsp%3B%26nbsp%3B%26nbsp%3B+4.+The+True+Grace+Of+God]http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/video_message.php?issue=95&date=07_04&title=The+Missing+Messages+In+Today%26rsquo%3Bs+Christianity+%26nbsp%3B+-+%26nbsp%3B%26nbsp%3B%26nbsp%3B+4.+The+True+Grace+Of+God[/url]

It's a great sermon by Zac Poonen on the True Grace of God. I think you'll get a great insight by listening to it.

2009/1/9 9:41Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

The best definition I have heard from more than one source goes someting like this:

Grace is God's presence and power to enable you to be and do all that He wants you to be and do.

I'm sure I have not got the quote exactly correct, but this is the essence, that grace is much more than mercy or'God's unmerited favor. It is these but much more. It is the ENABLING power and presence of God to make us what we can't be ourselves and empower us to do what we cannot do without Him.

A study on grace will show why this definition is used.

I have not heard Zac Poonen on this subject, but I'm sure He will be worth a listen.

2009/1/9 11:01Profile
graceamazed

Tennessee

Re:

Quote:
I've often heard it said that mercy IS NOT receiving from God what we DO deserve (i.e. His wrath), and grace IS receiving from God what we DO NOT deserve (i.e. salvation, forgiveness - well how long could this list be!)

That's a good thought. It would be like saying, "He has had mercy on us by pardoning our sins", but He doesn't stop there does He? We can go further and say, "By His grace we are not simply pardoned, but have been shown favor in being called 'sons and daughters of God' and 'joint-heirs with Christ'!" He's not just released us adulterers and murderers from the prison and pardoned our guilt, but He is taking us and conforming us to the image of His Son and seating us in heavenly places with Christ! This is more than Him just having mercy on our pitiful estate, but He has shown us unmerited favor in calling us to be glorified with His Son!

2009/1/9 11:21Profile
maze

Santa Fe , New Mexico

Re:

I heard a simple comparison of the law, mercy and grace:

the law gives us what we deserve
mercy is not getting what we deserve
and grace is getting what we don't deserve

which than allows us to be and do all that He wants us to be and do.

2009/1/10 8:58Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy