PosterThread

The Shack

Anyone know anything about this book?

Krispy

2009/1/7 8:42
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: The Cabin

Never heard of it. Perhaps you meant [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0964729237/ref=cm_rdp_product]The Shack?[/url]

2009/1/7 8:52Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: The Cabin

Hi Krispy,

[u]If[/u] it is the Shack book you can do a search here on SI as we have discussed some concerns about it. I have it and have read it. It takes place in a cabin in the mountains. My concerns are in the posts.

2009/1/7 9:14Profile

Re:

Sorry... the Shack. Thats it.

Krispy

2009/1/7 10:02
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Run

2009/1/7 11:10Profile
kathleen1

Re:

Anyone who loves God and wants a pure mind should not read this book. It's full of error. Remember what happened to Adam and Eve when they thought they needed to know something rather than feed on life....

2009/1/7 11:24Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

this brings up a good point, that I want to see what everyone thinks about. Obviously, the use of scripture is appreciated.

What do you think about reading non-Christian writing or writing that is not sound. Should we read stuff like The Shack or The Purpose Driven Life or even a little more extreme like The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Should we educate ourselves on what is out there so we know how to defend against it, or should we not fill our mind with such perversions?

I believe we should read on a variety of subjects and be well-rounded and well educated, but are there things that we should just stay away from?

Again, scripture is appreciated. (Sorry Krispy, I don't want to change the topic of your thread. I was just thinking about this when I saw some of the comments regarding The Shack)

2009/1/7 11:32Profile

Re:

Quote:
(Sorry Krispy, I don't want to change the topic of your thread. I was just thinking about this when I saw some of the comments regarding The Shack)

No, thats kool... thats a good question. I dont read much fiction, but when I do it's usually something like John Grisham. I've heard some Christians argue that we should never read any fiction, Christian or otherwise, because by it's very definition fiction is not true... therefore it's a lie. (they forget that Jesus is the master story teller!)

Krispy

2009/1/7 11:42
PassingThru

Re:

Quote:
What do you think about reading non-Christian writing or writing that is not sound. Should we read stuff like The Shack or The Purpose Driven Life or even a little more extreme like The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

I don't think we should study satan's lies unless it is directly necessary to help someone else overcome them:

[color=000099]1Ti 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

1Ti 4:7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables[/color]

The reading time is better spent on something edifying.

PassingThru

2009/1/7 13:19Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

PassingThru wrote:
Quote:
What do you think about reading non-Christian writing or writing that is not sound. Should we read stuff like The Shack or The Purpose Driven Life or even a little more extreme like The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

I don't think we should study satan's lies unless it is directly necessary to help someone else overcome them:

[color=000099]1Ti 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

1Ti 4:7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables[/color]

The reading time is better spent on something edifying.

PassingThru

I started writing a long post, but then canceled it to make it short and simple.

Those Scriptures are refering to false TEACHERS, not a generalization of all fictional authors, whether Christian or not.

Also, just because someone is reading a book for enjoyment's sake, doesn't mean that they are studying satan's lies, or studying the false teacher's teachings as your quoted Scriptures imply.

2009/1/7 18:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy