Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Knowing Beyond Knowing

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Knowing Beyond Knowing

[b]"...to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge..." (Eph 3:19)[/b]

Recently a difficult trial has come into my life. It has caused me great personal pain, and is perhaps one of the greatest upsets I have ever experienced. During this trial, I have cried like I have never cried before. I am experiencing a pain like I have never experienced before. While seeking the face of the Lord, the verse above came to mind.

I consider myself pretty well versed in the word of God. I have spent countless hours laboring in the study of God's word. For about 7 or 8 years, I have made it a point to read the Bible at least once or twice entirely every year. While doing such, I have taken time to study individual books many times over. One Bible I own I have handled so much that in the 3 years that I have owned it, the acids and oils on my hands has visibly worn the leather covers out in many places. Furthermore, I have a degree from Bible college, and spent a year in graduate school studying the Scriptures, translating many verses from the original Greek.

Yet for all my studying of the Scriptures, reading of commentaries and other theological and devotional literature, I am reminded here by Paul that there is a knowing beyond knowing. There are some things in our faith that simply cannot be known through reading the Scriptures. There is a knowledge of God so intimate that, while known, it has yet to be and never will be articulated. It is a knowledge of God that we simply cannot wrap our minds around. It is a knowledge that can only be experienced through our union and fellowship with Him. Paul says it's a knowledge that surpasses all knowledge.

There are some things we are simply blessed for not being able to know. There is a blessedness of not knowing! For in trying times we often look for answers and explanations as to why we are going through what we are going through. We all know Job's wonderful friends had no shortage of things to say to him while he went through the trial he went through. We all look for explanations, and try to form some sort of theology that explains our suffering. Indeed, there is an entire field of theology known as "theodicy" which tries to explain why God allows bad things to happen.

But, I think that instead of trying to paste together some fancy theological explanation behind why we are going through what we are going through, we would be better off to simply accept our situation for what it is, and simply seek to walk with God through it all. In doing that, we will enter into the blessedness of not knowing... yet knowing. In such times as this, God simply wants us to experience Him, and find comfort in the shadows of His wings. In that place there is a love and mercy which we cannot explain, yet for all who have fled there for refuge, it is a place that is cherished and well known.

2009/1/5 23:48Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Knowing Beyond Knowing

"Trials are medicines which our gracious and wise Physician prescribes because we need them; and he proportions the frequency and weight of them to what the case requires. Let us trust his skill and thank him for his prescription."

- Isaac Newton

Praying for you brother.

2009/1/5 23:55Profile
HeartSong

Quote:
It is a knowledge of God that we simply cannot wrap our minds around.

It is something that we wrap our hearts around.

2009/1/6 0:04Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Well said, brother Jimmy. Amen.

2009/1/6 9:05Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

KingJimmy,

With all his religious teachings and upbringing, Paul said, "I count it all dung that I might know Christ."

Didn't Tozer call it, "The Knowledge of the Holy"?

Amen to everything you wrote, Jimmy. Praise God.

God bless,

2009/1/6 11:38Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

With all his religious teachings and upbringing, Paul said, "I count it all dung that I might know Christ."

Indeed. Philippians 3 is very crucial in regard all this, and is worthy of much thought and meditation.

2009/1/6 11:42Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

Not only must we know GOD as our sufficiency;
HE must also know, prove, and try us. GOD
knew Job and knew he would prove a faithful
servant under the worst of trials!!

2009/1/6 15:45Profile

Quote:
We all look for explanations, and try to form some sort of theology that explains our suffering. Indeed, there is an entire field of theology known as "theodicy" which tries to explain why God allows bad things to happen.

I agree with this comment...we seek to wrap our theology around what we are going through in such a way that we hope it gives us an answer or understanding on why1 We think if I can identify my pain by some formula of theological term then I find some contentment.

"as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be [b]honored in my body, whether by life or by death[/b]."
Phil.1:20

I too can be to concerned with other theological concerns, reading and studying issues that help in my understanding of the gospel and being a disciple. But all is lost and in vain if we submit not to Christ with our whole heart to know Him and love Him completely before anything else.

Peace and Grace to you dear brother.

2009/1/6 21:33
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I agree with this comment...we seek to wrap our theology around what we are going through in such a way that we hope it gives us an answer or understanding on why1 We think if I can identify my pain by some formula of theological term then I find some contentment.

Sometimes I think that was the entire problem with Job's friends. They meant well. But they acted like Job's suffering was a problem for which a solution had to be provided. Job no doubt sought for an answer, as we all do. But sometimes we are reduced to such a low that I don't think God ever desires to give us an answer besides Himself. When you get to the point that you are scraping your own scabs with broken pottery, as Job did, then no philosophy or theology can ever provide you with a real answer.

Which ultimately, when push came to shove, God showed Job the "solution" was to merely be satisfied in Him. Job in his exchanges was reduced to: "...But now my eye sees You; Therefore I retract, and I repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:5-6) The "repentance" of Job here is merely the turning away from the need to ask questions and seek palatable answers. Job "retracts" all of those things, and ends his search by seeing the Lord with his own eye.

No doubt, there are plenty of theological explanations for suffering, pain, and misery. Very good ones in fact. However, when the pain is "your" pain, the answers only give rise to more questions-- questions which can never be satisfied. But God who has set eternity in our hearts that we might seek after Him, wants to use those "Why's?" as a fresh invitation to seek Him anew. He doesn't promise to answer everything, nor explain His purposes in our trials. But He promises to be there just the same.

All who seek Him with all their hearts, He said He will by no means turn away. He said if you seek Me, I will allow myself to be found by you. He didn't promise an answer would come when we seek after Him. Rather, He simply promised Himself. With that, let us be content.

2009/1/6 23:27Profile

Re:

Quote:
All who seek Him with all their hearts, He said He will by no means turn away. He said if you seek Me, I will allow myself to be found by you. He didn't promise an answer would come when we seek after Him. Rather, He simply promised Himself. With that, let us be content.

AMEN!!! :-)

2009/1/11 11:49

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy