SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : women/girls wearing makeup

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: women/girls wearing makeup

rbetty wrote:

Quote:
i am 16 year old girl that would like to know if wearing makeup is bad. i never know what to do and how to look at...opinions...and help?

rbetty, I have been doing a lot of thinking on this issue since I first read your post and wonder how I should answer your question in more detail then what I already have. What follows is my insight.

The purpose for wearing make-up is to beautify your physical body. Females love beauty and men love to look upon beauty - and females are not adverse to it, either. But what does the scripture say? Could we start there? How about 1 Peter 3:3-4:

Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

In these verses we see how women were depending on adorning themselves with 'things' but the Holy Spirit through Peter instructs us that it is the hidden man - the heart - that one should allow to adorn a person. How is this done? When you are at peace with yourself because of the peace of God that rules within, it will show on your face, in your eyes. It will also be demonstrated in how you dress your body, but that is another subject....you asked about make-up. So when peace rules your spirit, your face will be beautiful because it will be 'sweet'. People who harbor sin, practice sin will have have the marks of sin on their faces/eyes - the eyes will have a 'black look' that can easily be discerned by others. So, you may think you are physically ugly...well, to tell you the truth, not many folks are actually beautiful or handsome. But their character will either enhance their ugliness or erase it. I know people who are not pretty or handsome - leaning more towards being ugly - but are wonderful people because of their character and one barely notices what they look like!

Let me share one story: when I was a counselor at CPC I had a client one day who I was convinced was the most beautiful female I have ever seen. She was either a quadroon* or a mulatto, I am not sure. I sat there and just looked at her - her beauty was a feast for eyes. She had a beautiful figure and I wondered how on earth she escaped notice by the modeling industry. Anyhow, as her story unfolded, her beauty faded to ordinary. She was no longer beautiful but a pitiful wretched person who spurned the LORD. So tragic. Sin will do that.

Now, I suggest you let the Spirit of God rule your heart, mind, soul and body and in the process ask him how you should decorate you face..

Hope this helps..

ginnyrose

*quadroon - is a person who is 1/4 Negro and 3/4 White. A mulatto is half Negro and half White.

2009/1/2 21:46Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Chris,

rbetty asked a specific question. Don't specific questions deserve a specific answer?

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/1/2 21:47Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi ginnyrose...

Quote:
rbetty asked a specific question. Don't specific questions deserve a specific answer?

Yes, she asked for opinion...not opinions presented as indisputable fact. I don't think that there is anything wrong with sharing our belief...or the reasons that we base our beliefs upon. That is a good thing! Yet these sort of threads often have a way of people claiming that they somehow know the end of the matter (so that there is no further need for discussion). I am concerned that some people might introduce their opinion (and yes, there is a lot of opinion in this thread) about what God thinks regarding this topic and package it as if it is an ABSOLUTE (in regard to what God believes and expects).

We can certainly share our views with patience and longsuffering. Yet we need to hesitate before we go about saying that our opinion is God's opinion...when this is in and of itself just a personal opinion.

:-)

2009/1/2 23:31Profile

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
rbetty wrote:

Quote:
i am 16 year old girl that would like to know if wearing makeup is bad. i never know what to do and how to look at...opinions...and help?

rbetty, I have been doing a lot of thinking on this issue since I first read your post and wonder how I should answer your question in more detail then what I already have. What follows is my insight.

The purpose for wearing make-up is to beautify your physical body. Females love beauty and men love to look upon beauty - and females are not adverse to it, either. But what does the scripture say? Could we start there? How about 1 Peter 3:3-4:

Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

In these verses we see how women were depending on adorning themselves with 'things' but the Holy Spirit through Peter instructs us that it is the hidden man - the heart - that one should allow to adorn a person. How is this done? When you are at peace with yourself because of the peace of God that rules within, it will show on your face, in your eyes. It will also be demonstrated in how you dress your body, but that is another subject....you asked about make-up. So when peace rules your spirit, your face will be beautiful because it will be 'sweet'. People who harbor sin, practice sin will have have the marks of sin on their faces/eyes - the eyes will have a 'black look' that can easily be discerned by others. So, you may think you are physically ugly...well, to tell you the truth, not many folks are actually beautiful or handsome. But their character will either enhance their ugliness or erase it. I know people who are not pretty or handsome - leaning more towards being ugly - but are wonderful people because of their character and one barely notices what they look like!

Let me share one story: when I was a counselor at CPC I had a client one day who I was convinced was the most beautiful female I have ever seen. She was either a quadroon* or a mulatto, I am not sure. I sat there and just looked at her - her beauty was a feast for eyes. She had a beautiful figure and I wondered how on earth she escaped notice by the modeling industry. Anyhow, as her story unfolded, her beauty faded to ordinary. She was no longer beautiful but a pitiful wretched person who spurned the LORD. So tragic. Sin will do that.

Now, I suggest you let the Spirit of God rule your heart, mind, soul and body and in the process ask him how you should decorate you face..

Hope this helps..

ginnyrose

*quadroon - is a person who is 1/4 Negro and 3/4 White. A mulatto is half Negro and half White.

Ginnyrose

I have to say that is one GREAT post! Well done!

Old Joe

2009/1/2 23:37
MJones

Missouri

Re:

:oops:

2009/1/3 1:52Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Chris,

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong...but you seem to be thinking that ANY makeup is a "poison" apple that would kill the soul...and my post was somehow Satanic? I hope that you wouldn't insinuate something as ridiculous as this.

The question was:

What would the Lord have to do to convince you not to bite into that apple?

If you only rely upon what you know and what you see, you will eat the poison apple.

If you set aside that which you know and see, and listen for the voice of the Lord, He will keep you from eating the poison apple.

It is only in Him that one can be ABSOLUTELY sure that they will not bite into a poison apple. But we must lay aside our intellectualizing, justifying, and quantifying in order to hear His voice. We must humble ourselves and ask Him what He would have us to do. We must listen for His answer and be prepared to obey. We must quit trying to steer the boat onto our own shore for He is our only safe harbor. Only He knows the truth - because He alone is Truth.

Jesus Christ will set you free from all uncertainty - if you will but trust and obey.

2009/1/3 2:12Profile
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Re: women/girls wearing makeup

G'day rbetty,

Background
I am a guy. I use face crèame because my skin needs moisturizing. I also use the same creame my sister uses cause i feel i am closer to her in a sense. I do not think it’s a sin to use moisturizer.

I want to thank you for posting this question. Very few girls have the courage to post such things. It shows me that you are serious about keeping a clear conscience. Since you are seeking to be a disciple I will speak to you as one. I will write to you as if you are my own sister.
Now the brothers and sisters have done a fantastic job giving you the answers with scripture and I agree with the word.
How would you feel if the answer was a no? Would you be happy about not wearing makeup? That’s more important than the answer itself. Yes it’s easy to acknowledge that you are crucified but are you satisfied?
Do not bring an offering of worship tainted with a grudging attitude. It will be a dead work! The bible wants us to repent of dead works. Hebrews 6:1
So if you decide not to wear makeup but you’re not happy and you feel like you’re in a jail cell. Then please wear it. Is it the right thing? Probably not! What did you just give me wrong advice? No all I am saying is whatever you do, do it with a joyful heart. That’s very important. If you find it difficult to give it up then clearly there is a pull from the world there. Isolate the target and Attack it in prayer. Ask the Lord to help you with crucifying these desires. Do not be mastered by it. And this is the general principle.
2 Peter 2:19
They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.
The flip side!
Romans 14 is important in all these contexts. I would strongly recommend you read it. I was thinking about a similar issue. Alcohol! ( I do not drink Alochol)
Romans 14:13
Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this--not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way.
Is another Christian going to be stumbled in their walk because you wore makeup. I don’t know the answer to this question but you would know and perhaps the other Christian may or may not know. Seek the Lord in prayer.
When should you put makeup on?
Now I think most women I assume do put make when they get married. Even the most spiritual ones. Now sister you may wonder is this not sin! I personally do not think so! There is freedom to wear makeup as long as you do it to the glory of God. As a matter of fact I do not know of any person personally who has never worn makeup during their wedding day.
I personally like people without make up because it brings out that raw beauty captured in the face! There is innocence about this. Not that I have had hours to pontificate on this raw beauty concept but it’s true.
What if you were a news reader or professionally you require makeup? Don’t they put make up? Yes they do but the context is different. They are doing it because of technical reasons... I do not have time to elucidate. So what if you’re a Christian and your job requires you to wear makeup is it a sin to wear make up? NO ASBOLUTELY NOT. Again it’s the spirit that matters. Now I am not trying to even justify certain professions where make up is worn and the whole profession is a stumbling block to the human race.
So then again the question is why?
I think the Lord only will ask why? And trust me he already knows why.
You must be under a lot of pressure from your peer groups. My advice to you is You can never serve God effectively while being influenced by the world’s value system. You’re at a critical age now where you will have to make some very important choices. Rest assured that if you make the right choices now you will never regret when you grow older.
There is pressure at your age to appear in a certain way, this pressure is not from God. The Holy Spirit does not put this pressure, its like chains that come on a free person. So my dear sister your beauty does not lie in how you look but your spirit.
1 Peter 3:3-4 (New International Version)
3Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
Ask the Lord to make this real for you at this early age. May you find security ON THE ROCK!
A STRONG WOMAN DOES NOT FIND HER IDENTITY FROM WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE BUT FROM WHOM SHE IS IN CHRIST!
Even in Christian circles there are very few strong women like these.
Other people wear makeup. These folks do not posses light. There is a big danger in following the patterns of unbelievers. The danger is latter on in life you will be unable to discern the will of God for you concerning other matters.
Romans 12:2
2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
I hope I have not confused the living day lights out of you.

2009/1/3 6:01Profile
roadsign

Re: Time to move the spotlight?

rbetty, Did we overwhelm you? (I admit, we can get quite chatty around here and in our passion to express ourselves, even forget who we are talking to.) It would be great to hear from you, and learn more about you! I'm convinced that you have something valuable to offer us - from the perspective of a youth!

Diane

2009/1/3 8:37Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Good word Diane. This was the first post of a 16 year old girl. Has anyone noticed she hasn't been back. Taking a little time to breath might be good.

2009/1/3 9:26Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
We can certainly share our views with patience and longsuffering. Yet we need to hesitate before we go about saying that our opinion is God's opinion...when this is in and of itself just a personal opinion.

Does this include you? Have not seen any evidence that it does!

ginnyrose

2009/1/3 12:46Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy