Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 The Head Covering by Watchman Nee

[b]The Head Covering [/b]
[i]by Watchman Nee[/i]

When the Lord Jesus was on earth, on the one hand He came to be Savior of the world, to deliver men from sin. This is according to the system of grace. On the other hand, God sent Him to the world that through the work of the cross He might establish His own authority and set up His kingdom so that the heavens might rule on the earth. This Is the system of government. Its work will continue until the power of the devil is destroyed and the kingdom and the new heaven and the new earth are brought in.

Many hold to a fundamental error: they foolishly maintain that grace can set government aside. The truth is that what God does in grace never alters God’s government.... Grace only complements government.... Grace is for the purpose of redeeming and restoring those who are insubordinate and rebellious so that they may be subject to God’s governmental system.... Grace can never nullify government; rather, grace enables people to obey government. May I say with all Seriousness that grace gives us strength to be subject to government.
Head Covering and God’s Government
The matter of head covering belongs to God’s government. For those who do not know God’s government, it is impossible to exhort them to have their heads covered. They will not be able to understand how much is involved in this matter. But those who have seen God’s government in God’s revealed Word are able to appreciate the tremendous connection between head covering and government.
The meaning of head covering is: I submit myself to God’s government: I accept God’s appointed position: I dare not nullify His government by the grace I have received; I do not even dare to think about it; on the contrary, I accept God’s government. As Christ accepts God as His head, so should every man accept Christ as his head. Likewise, woman should representatively accept man as her head. In covering the head, the woman signifies that she is not head, that she is as if she has no head—for it is covered.
God calls upon the sisters to show this arrangement. It is through the sisters that God’s governmental system is to be displayed. It is the sisters who are responsible to have the sign of obedience on their heads. God specifically requires women to have their head covered when praying or prophesying. Why? Because they ought to know God’s government when they come before Him. In going before God to pray for people or in going before people to prophesy for God, whether In praying or in prophesying, whether in that which goes to God or in that which comes from God, in whatever is related to God, head covering is demanded. The purpose Is to manifest the government of God.

Today woman has a sign of authority on her head because of the angels, that is, as a testimony to the angels. Only the sisters in the church can testify to this, for the women of the world know nothing of it. Today when the sisters have the sign of authority on their heads, they bear the testimony that, “I have covered my head so that I do not have my own head, for I do not seek to be head. My ‘head is veiled, and I have accepted man as head, and to accept man as head means that I have accepted Christ as head and God as head. But some of you angels have rebelled against God.” This is what it meant “because of the angels.”

I have on my head a sign of authority. I am a woman with my head covered. This is a most excellent testimony to the angels, to the fallen and to the unfallen ones. No wonder Satan persistently opposes the matter of the head covering. It really puts him to shame. We are doing what he has failed to do. What God did not receive from the angels, He now has from the church.
When many of the sisters in the church take the place given to women and learn to cover their heads, they send out an unspoken word of testimony to the angels in the air, to the effect that God has obtained in the church what He desires. Because of this, woman must have on her head a sign of authority, a testimony to the angels.

Let us remember that although in practice it is only the woman who has her head covered, yet, in reality, Christ has His head covered before God and every man has his head covered before Christ. Why is it that God only requires woman to have the practice of having her head covered? This indeed is marvelous, for it involves a very deep principle.

When a sister covers her head, she is standing before God on the basis of Christ’s position before God and man’s position before Christ. God wants the woman to cover her head in order to manifest His government on earth. This privilege falls only to the woman. She does not cover her head merely for her own self; she does it representatively. It is because she represents man before Christ and Christ before God. So when a woman covers her head before God, it is just the same as if Christ covered His head before God.... Man and woman should have no head since Christ is the head. If one’s head is not covered, there will be two heads. Between God and Christ, one head must be covered; so too must it be between man and woman and so between Christ and every man. If one head is not covered, the result will be that there are two heads, and God’s government does not allow two heads. If God is head, then Christ is not; if Christ is head, then man is not; if man is head, then woman is not.

Regarding the Contentious
So, for man to be uncovered and woman covered is a charge that only Christian apostles have given. It is a practice the churches of God alone hold, for it is different from both the Jewish and the Gentile custom. It is something few observe and understand, and it is from God.

All the apostles believed that woman should have her head covered. If anyone today professes to be an apostle and yet does not believe in the head covering of woman, he cannot be counted as one of the apostles. He must be taken as an outsider. There is no such practice among the apostles of not believing this. If any church does not believe, Paul’s answer is, “We have no such custom, neither the churches of God.” None of the local churches which the apostles had visited had any such custom as arguing about woman’s head covering. So the answer to any who argue is that there is no such practice as arguing about It. Paul is willing to reason in a few earlier verses, but after that he reasons no more. If any seems to be contentious, Paul says no apostle will approve of that one’s opinion. If anyone wants to argue, no church will agree with his view. You are outside the fellowship of the churches as well as of the apostles.
Therefore, let our sisters cover their heads in the church when praying or prophesying. Why? To manifest that in the church God has obtained that which He has failed to get in the world, in the universe, and among the angels.

2008/12/29 12:06Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: The Head Covering by Watchman Nee

Hello...

Quote:
All the apostles believed that woman should have her head covered. If anyone today professes to be an apostle and yet does not believe in the head covering of woman, he cannot be counted as one of the apostles. He must be taken as an outsider. There is no such practice among the apostles of not believing this.

Brother Nee offers an interesting perspective...but one that I sincerely disagree with. It is one thing to believe that a man-made covering of cotton (or another fabric) is the "covering" written about in this single passage (I Corinthians 10). It is another thing to insist than anyone who doesn't embrace such an interpretation of this single passage "must be taken as an outsider."

At what point do we allow the Lord to work within the heart of believers? There is little written in Scripture regarding such "head coverings." Every time I prayerfully read this passage (in honesty, seeking only the truth), I find myself under the impression that the "covering" is simply the natural covering of a woman's hair. As far as the notion that a man-made fabric covering being an "apostolic doctrine," I just can't find it as such. It is this same sort of reasoning (in regard to limited or less-than-exactly-clear portions of Scripture) that causes other practices in other sects or even cults (such as the practice of baptism for the dead by Mormons...or the "you-must-speak-in-tongues-if-you-are-really-saved doctrine by some "apostolics" or "pentecostals"...or the you-must-honor-the-Sabbath by Seventh Day Adventists). However, worse: Even if we are persuaded about such things (one way or another), should we teach them in such a way that dismisses the faith of or fellowship from those who don't agree? This seems to be the gist of what Brother Nee is saying.

I have asked a few wonderfully sincere "apostolic" brethren what they truly felt the end will be for those women who do not physically cover their head with a piece of fabric. It was difficult to get a common, straight answer regarding those women who do not practice something that they see as a requirement. One man, however, told me that God would judge those women as "reprobates" because they are "just as guilty as the homosexuals in Sodom who didn't have a Bible." Does anyone truly believe that God will reject those women who do not see this passage as mandating a man-made fabric covering to be worn by women when they pray or worship? What is to become of women who sincerely submit to the authority of God and men yet do not place a piece of fabric on their heads? Nee is not clear about this, yet he seems to indicate that they are truly "outsiders." I just wonder what he thinks that they are "outside" of?

:-(

2008/12/29 15:06Profile

Re:

just guessing.....maybe he thinks they are outside of the apostolic tradition.

Annnnyyyyyyyhhhhhoooowwwwww.......yeeaaa

2008/12/29 16:44
narrowpath

Germany NRW

We had a long and heated thread about this topic before, see:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=22197&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go

Here is a good resource from Zac Poonen as he explains 1. Cor 11.
http://www.cfcindia.net/vbvaudio/1%20Corinthians/12_1Cor_Ch11-1_Ch11-34.mp3

Another one is written by G.W. North on Ron Bailey's website biblebase.com titled "A Sign of Authority"

http://mp3.biblebase.com/download_44.html

I would suggest anyone to really read these resources whith an enquiring mind before you come with these standard counter-arguments:
* legalism
* Chauvinism
* that was then and there and not for today
* The natural hair is the women's covering, so what the fuzz
* There are more important doctrines than this
* Soundso doesn't teach it so why should I
* Soandso doesn't cover her head, so why should I

Headcovering is mentioned in the bible for a reason, and I do not hold the view that everything has to be repeated to be binding.
My wife and daugther practise it, and no one has troubled us so far.

narrowpath

2008/12/29 17:46Profile

Re:

Narrowpath, God bless you and yours in your faithfulness to this teaching.

I will add my opinion for what it's worth.

To those who observe it do not judge those who don't. To those who do not observe this do not judge them as legalist.

Let both "sides" remain humble and full of love that the HolyGhost may have His will done in this teaching.

2008/12/29 18:32
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Brother narrowpath...

Quote:
I would suggest anyone to really read these resources whith an enquiring mind before you come with these standard counter-arguments:
* legalism
* Chauvinism
* that was then and there and not for today
* The natural hair is the women's covering, so what the fuzz
* There are more important doctrines than this
* Soundso doesn't teach it so why should I
* Soandso doesn't cover her head, so why should I

Yes, I've been on the website for quite a while and read several threads on the subject of hair coverings and the various interpretations of that single passage. Interestingly, I don't hold to any of the aforementioned "counterarguments" (with the exception of a belief that the "covering" is natural hair). Rather, I don't feel the need for a counterargument when I feel that the initial argument (the idea that a manmade piece of fabric is the fulfillment of this passage) is simply too weak to begin with. The Scripture tells us that a matter is established in the testimony of "two or three witnessees." I can't seem to find a single additional New Testament passage regarding "head coverings" that could clarify this as a doctrine.

However, please do not mistake the words of my post as conveying that it is wrong for a woman to wear a hat, scarf, veil or piece of fabric on their head when they pray. Rather, I simply and sincerely question Brother Watchmen Nee's words regarding those who do not adhere to such a practice as being "outside." I don't care if he is saying that this outside of the faith or outside of "apostolic doctrine" -- I think that it is a poor choice of words either way. It is purely a matter of interpretation to insist a standard regarding the practice of this Scripture one way or the other. Can we honestly say that we know with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY what Paul meant in this passage...especially since it doesn't seem exceptionally clear to so many people (some of whom are prayerful about it and highly educated regarding Hebrew customs)? Please understand: I do not have an issue with those who practice such a thing...just with public words that seemingly reject those who do not.

In addition, we could apply similar instructions (like those mentioned above) for those who hold to an differing opinion regarding a requirement to wear a physical, manmade head covering. My concern, again, is not with those who interpret this single passage as requiring a fabric cloth over their heads when they pray. Rather, my concern is about those who view those who don't see this passage as saying such a thing as being definitively "outside" of the faith or even "apostolic" tradition (as if we know for a certainty what that is to begin with).

My wife does not practice such a thing. She doesn't wear a "required" cloth on her head when she prays or is in the presence of men. Yet I know that she submits to God, her husband (me), her father and the male leadership of the Church. Cloth covering or no cloth covering -- the root, in my opinion, is with the inner submission of the heart.

:-)

2008/12/29 20:34Profile
pastorfrin

Quote:
Today woman has a sign of authority on her head because of the angels, that is, as a testimony to the angels. Only the sisters in the church can testify to this, for the women of the world know nothing of it. Today when the sisters have the sign of authority on their heads, they bear the testimony that, “I have covered my head so that I do not have my own head, for I do not seek to be head. My ‘head is veiled, and I have accepted man as head, and to accept man as head means that I have accepted Christ as head and God as head. But some of you angels have rebelled against God.” This is what it meant “because of the angels.”

Quote:
I have on my head a sign of authority. I am a woman with my head covered. This is a most excellent testimony to the angels, to the fallen and to the unfallen ones. No wonder Satan persistently opposes the matter of the head covering. It really puts him to shame. We are doing what he has failed to do. What God did not receive from the angels, He now has from the church.
Quote:
When many of the sisters in the church take the place given to women and learn to cover their heads, they send out an unspoken word of testimony to the angels in the air, to the effect that God has obtained in the church what He desires. Because of this, woman must have on her head a sign of authority, a testimony to the angels.

Makes sense to me!

2008/12/29 21:37Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
My wife and daugther practise it, and no one has troubled us so far.

Glad to hear your women wear it - I do too!

ginnyrose

2008/12/29 23:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy