Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Just curious

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Totality

Sulphur Springs, Texas

Just curious

I'm watching right now the History channel and it told me that there was a moment in history where France had replaced the Christian calendar with Sunday as the first day of the week with a calendar with 10 days, so that no one *at least they hoped* would remember if it were Sunday or not.

My question is simple: if this were to repeat, would we have to change to gather on the first day of the week *Day 1 of 10* or keep track of the 7 day week and gather on Sunday?

2008/12/28 17:46Profile
poet

Longview WA

Re: Just curious

It it gets that bad then do as the Chinese underground churches do, and meet daily.
The new testament church met daily, breaking bread together. Acts 2:46-47
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
:-)

2008/12/28 19:17Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Just curious

Hi Brother...

I don't think that we are confined to a day of the week for which we meet together. In fact, I don't think that we are confined to a day at all for which we fellowship, as the early Church met daily in one another's homes.

Those who adhere to a specific "7th day Sabbath" mostly, as far as I can tell, feel that they are still prohibited to work on that day and should remember the finished work of the Lord's creation...period. There is nothing in the Word that dictates WHEN we meet together with believers in Word or worship. In fact, the oft-quoted verse pertaining to "going to Church" -- Hebrews 10:25 -- actually speaks about meeting together even more frequently as we see "that day approaching." Interestingly, that passage even lays down a motive for meeting together: ENCOURAGEMENT.

There are many believers who don't adhere to a set of requirements regarding the Sabbath. Many of us see each day as a "Sabbath day" in which we recognize and remember the finished work of God (from both Creation and the Cross). For many of us, we feel that we are fulfilling the initial sanctity of the day by spiritually resting and remembering Christ every single day. Regardless, there simply are not any set of [i]requirements[/i] about when to meet in the New Testament. I suppose that Saturday and/or Sunday are/is just as good as any day simply because most people are off of work anyway.

When I was an undergraduate student, however, the most blessed days were on Mondays as I met in my dorm with other sincere believers. We broke bread (spiritually and physically), prayed and encouraged one another as we walked through the wilderness of this world in a university. I actually received more encouragement during those intimate prayer meetings/Bible studies than I did during most of the Church services that I have attended.

:-)

2008/12/28 20:44Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy