SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Crucified with Him

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HizGurl

Crucified with Him

Hello, I have a quick questian..., I'm a bit confused on topic of us being crucified with Christ. What does it mean exactly? I know it means we are dead to the world and to sin, but does it also mean that I am dead to my desires, interests, hobbies etc.?

2008/12/28 0:07Profile

Re: Crucified with Him

The Book, "Born Crucified" by L. E. Maxwell was written many years ago, to answer your question.

The Book can be found at:

[url=http://maranathamedia.com/start/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=137] Born Crucified by L. E. Maxwell[/url]

BORN CRUCIFIED
L. E MAXWELL
FOREWORD

[b]As the facets of a cut diamond flash with exquisite colors in the sunlight, so the Scriptures,illuminated by the Spirit of God, glow with many glorious truths. The kind of Christian life set forth in the New Testament is so far above the experience of many professing Christians that they think it abnormal. Yet it is there, and many through God's grace have found it, and lived it, and described it in such terms as "the Life of Faith," "the Spirit-filled Life," "the Deeper Life," and "the Victorious Life."

God has mightily blessed the messages of many servants of His, as for example Brother Lawrence, William Law, Hudson Taylor, Hannah Whitall Smith, the late Charles G. Trumbull, and others.

Emphasizing various aspects of scriptural truth, they have led multitudes into a life of peace and joy and power.

Every sincere Christian wants to know how he can overcome temptation and be used of God in His service. How can we find freedom from anxiety, and really know that peace which passeth
understanding? How can we live at home the kind of consistent Christian life that we teach in our
Sunday school classes and preach from our pulpits? How can we have real power in personal
conversation as we seek to show men their need of a Savior?

One of the most important keys to a life that knows such victory is the truth of the believer's
identification with Christ in His death and resurrection. The principal and founder of the Prairie Bible Institute at Three Hills, Alberta, Canada, which now has a remarkable history of over 25 years, seems to have a gift for imparting this vital truth to others. At the request of the Editor of the Sunday School Times he wrote a series of seven editorials which were published in the Times during the first seven weeks of 1944. These articles, with added material, have now been brought together in this volume.

These studies touch upon the most vital parts of the Christian's daily life. Mr. Maxwell holds
closely to the Scriptures, illuminates the truth with telling illustrations, and, as far as words can do it, shows Christians how to have victory over sin, and power in God's service. It is the kind of message so sorely needed in these days of coldness in the church, lawlessness in our own land, and chaos in the world.[/b]

Philip E. Howard, Jr

Sincerely,

Walter

2008/12/28 0:27

This Scripture comes to mind....

"Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ, and I live; yet no longer I, but Christ lives in me. And that life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith toward the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself on my behalf."

There is nothing wrong with desires , interests and hobbies. Yet, I think that you will find, the deeper you move into your walk with the Lord, the less these things will mean to you. Your desires? The Lord said that He would "give you the desires of your heart.' That does not mean that whatever desires that arose from your own mind, it means He will give you His desires, there will come a day when His desires and yours correspond, and when they do, they will come to pass. Interests, will all pale as you experience the presence of God. The question is for many of us, do we only want our interest to be Him? Do we only want the desires of our heart to be His?
Hobbies? Nothing wrong with them, they may seem like a waste of time to you at some point.

We are called to be like Jesus. In the process of our sanctification, we will become more like Him, if we surrender, if we give up, if we step back and allow Him to step forward in our lives. Now, the flesh always screams out to be justified, yet we crucify this. Flesh dies on the cross. In the midst of our trials and tribulations, when we are squeezed, what will come out? When Jesus says "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do," can we follow in His path? Will we say that when we are wronged or despitefully treated or persecuted? This post may also be of some use to you....Frank

http://scottishwarriors.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/calvary-the-lost-message/

2008/12/28 1:31
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I always liked the picture that our old man is crucified with Christ, but we sojourn here clothed in corrupt flesh while we are here. So the old man is dead with Christ, but we kill the flesh and its lusts daily as we pick our cross and follow Him.

The book waltern recommend is a classic and a must read, it was very instrumental to me in my first steps as a christian.

2008/12/28 5:17Profile

Re: Crucified to the World and the world to me.

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
I always liked the picture that our old man is crucified with Christ, but we sojourn here clothed in corrupt flesh while we are here. So the old man is dead with Christ, but we kill the flesh and its lusts daily as we pick our cross and follow Him.

The book waltern recommend is a classic and a must read, it was very instrumental to me in my first steps as a christian.

Amen hmmhmm! The old hymn that states "The things of Earth grow strangely Dim, in the light of His Glory and grace."

As we behold Him, all Earthly affections are weakened, and if we allow the fire to burn, will be consumed. I no longer want the things I used to...not just sin or lust, but activities, interests and even friendships. They have dimmed, as I go on with the Lord.

"If any man HATE not his mother, father, brother, sister, children, and his own LIFE!...he cannot be my disciple!"

I think He means that you will not be able to follow Him, for these things were not brought before His cross, and crucified...put to death, under His absolute Lordship. He must be Lord, and He will accept nothing less than our complete worship.

We are all like the rich young ruler. We may walk away sadly but until we die to our desires and the riches of our own way, we cannot return to the Master.

As you say, hmmhmm, it is a daily cross and crucifiction, for our old satanic selfish natures..[the flesh...] do not vanish on the day we are born again. They fight us until the bitter end, and they must be killed every day, and sometimes every minute![...anyone ever caught up in lust knows what I mean..]

The real Christian will desire to die to himself, and will beg the Father to put him to death, to gain Christ.

2008/12/28 6:37
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Zac poonen uses an illustration i like, the old man was sitting in our heart and ruled, and whenever the world ,our flesh or satan came knocking with a temptation we swiftly opened the door and welcomed any temptation ,lust and sin to enter. This man God killed. Now a new man is there in the heart, but these three still come knocking, and a genuine christian will do everything to keep the door closed. But sometimes for some reason, may be different reasons then i say here, the new man may be to weak to resist the tempters, maybe he is weak because he havent eaten solid food with the right nourishment. So he becomes weak and can not resist them and they force their way through. Maybe the new man has not been watching and praying as he should and is taken by surprise when they come, so he can not defend himself so to speak.

And as brothertom says, its a highly unpopular subject in these days the one on daily crossbearing, my self sought for one time experience where i would die and all things would vanish from me, but realizing it is a daily cross, a daily denial of self i can now see more clearly. What is good is that the yoke of Christ is easy for us, when we feel its hard either we carry it wrong or we are carrying someone elses cross.

Just as any that has maybe worked in a place where you need to lift things much, know its very important you lift it rightly, otherwise you may injure yourself or drop it. In the same way we must learn how to lift our cross. The best way is to study the life of Jesus, a great deal of people study only the death of Christ and what that accomplished, that is a very worthy study in deed and a must. But Jesus life holds the key to a cross bearing selfdenying life, se how he lived talked, when he got angry, how he used money, how he spent his time, how he preached and how he went about doing good.

And sometimes the cross feels very hard because its not your cross, you picked up someone elses cross, thats why it feels so hard. The real yoke of Christ is not hard for a beliver to carry.

Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

2008/12/28 6:52Profile
MJones

Missouri

Hi HizGurl,

To digress just a minute, one of my favorite parts of SI is seeing people come to the forum a little bogged down, and in a matter of a day or two, being lifted above by the encouragement and advice of the SI members. Yours, from just a few days ago, is one that sticks out in my mind.
Glad that you seem to be doing much better.

As to the question you bring here, I have a C.S. Lewis quote frome John Piper's book, [i]What Jesus Demands from the World[/i] that speaks to your question. First, a speck of background to give his quote the perspective that ties it to the question you have raised.

It might have been in another book by Lewis that I read where our desires are God given but often misdirected. We seek to fulfill these desires in the wrong places, but when we find God as He is able to be found, the same desires are expressed in ways that God not only approves of, but is a joy for Him to give.

I have found that as I seek God, not the fulfillment of my desires or anything else, that He gives me things that fulfull those desires and are more fulfilling than any of my attempts at fulfilling them myself.

One brief example: my wife and I had not had time away for awhile due to a financial hardship we had been in for over a year at that time. There were times we wanted to get away but did not feel real good about it. But this particular time, things just kept falling into place that made me feel we were supposed to take this little trip. It got to the point that I felt if we didn't, I would be missing a gift from God. We took the trip (a few days to the beach, just before the summer season began). It was the least expensive and most enjoyable trip to the beach we had ever had.

Now the Lewis quote; 'If we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he can't imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased'.

Substitue drink, sex and ambition for anything other than God. If we seek fulfillment in any of these things, we will come up short. Seek fulfillment in God and He will give us these things.

2008/12/28 9:38Profile

Hello, HizGurl:

This is helpful in answering the specifics of your question:

Born Crucified, yet Alive in Christ
The Christian life is a daily putting off all that belonged to the unregenerate old self and constantly putting on all that belongs to the new life in Christ. The cross and the resurrection extend their power and influence over the believer’s entire life.

The Christian life is constantly producing new life. This new life in Christ through His Spirit must be daily replacing within the soul what our daily crucifixion of the flesh is taking away. This new life in Christ fills the emptiness created by self-denial with some new likeness of Christ. In place of the natural affection, there comes some new divine affection (Eph. 4:17-32).

“You are dead . . . . you are risen with Christ” (Col. 3:1, 6).

The flesh will never produce a strong spiritual life that pleases God and looks and smells like authentic Christianity. The flesh will always disgrace the Lord Jesus Christ no matter how you try to dress it up in legalism.

The Holy Spirit is busy making real in the believer’s life what is already true of him doctrinally.

The believer has not only died, but is to “die daily” with Christ as long as we live in this present life because we are in “an irreconcilable enmity” between the flesh and the spirit (Gal. 5:17). We have no option but to take up the cross daily in following Christ. The flesh can only reproduce itself. It holds no possibility of a divine life. This dying to self and sin is something we do daily.

Our life-long growth in Christ-likeness is a determination to deliver us to death for Christ’s sake all that is kin to our old life before we gave our lives to Christ. It is also a commitment to put on Christ daily.

It is each believer’s responsibility to submit to the work of the Holy Spirit in mortifying the flesh and therefore bring our body under the dominion of the cross of Christ.

Moreover, the Christian life is not just a life of crucifixion; it is also a new life in Christ Jesus.

“You are risen with Christ.” This is the second part of this essential doctrine of Christian living. Our progressive sanctification includes both “taking off” the old self and “putting on” the new. Since “you are risen with Christ” keep on “seeking those things which are above.”

Yes, we “die daily,” but we were also made a “new creation” in Christ and our inward person is being “renewed day by day.”

The apostle Paul wrote, “I live, yet not I, but Christ lives in me” (Gal. 2:20).

The daily spiritual growth of the Christian towards perfection lies always in these two opposite directions. The believer is always subjecting, repressing, and mortifying the natural man on the one hand, and nourishing, developing, and renewing the spiritual man on the other. It is not one or the other; it is both principles and activities working in conjunction with one another.

It is our responsibility to daily judge and mortify all that we find in our attitudes, behaviors and values that are in the flesh and contrary to authentic Christian living. Yes, there must be a daily denial to anything that is not Christ-like.

A negative process is never adequate to accomplish a positive goal. And no amount or kind of self-denial can make a person holier, or sinless. What is needed is the means of bringing him into more intimate fellowship with Christ. Every retreat from the life of the flesh must be followed by a deeper entering into the life of the Spirit. We take off the old man, and we put on the new man in Christ.

As we abide in Christ, we walk as our Lord walked

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

HizGurl wrote:
Hello, I have a quick questian..., I'm a bit confused on topic of us being crucified with Christ. What does it mean exactly? I know it means we are dead to the world and to sin, but does it also mean that I am dead to my desires, interests, hobbies etc.?

2008/12/29 22:52

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy