SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Grace-What is true definition?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
LarryD

Riggins, Idaho USA

Grace-What is true definition?

Does anyone have an idea where I could find a teaching or sermon that defines grace? Everything that I have found talks alot about grace but I have not found a true definition.
Blessings,
Larry D

2008/12/23 22:39Profile
HeartSong

Re: Grace-What is true definition?

Hi Larry,

Have you listened to The True Grace Of God by Alan Martin?

2008/12/23 23:22Profile
LarryD

Riggins, Idaho USA

Re:

No I have not, but I will find it and listen.. Thank you...
Blessings

2008/12/24 0:23Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Just click on the title in my previous post.

2008/12/24 0:24Profile
myexodus

Hi Larry. I just recently listened to Zac Poonen teaching on this very thing. I really enjoyed it and learnt a lot from it. It is called [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=6914&commentView=itemComments]All Sufficient Grace[/url] Grace and peace to you!

2008/12/24 0:34Profile
LarryD

Riggins, Idaho USA

HeartSong- I did click on that and have it downloaded.. Thanks..

myexodus- I am downloading right now.. Blessings to you also.

In just a min. they will be on my IPOD and I will be diving into them..

2008/12/24 0:45Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Well its all of grace :-) so it is a wide word so to say, but not only wide, but very deep, and if you want to go deep then this is the sermon you should go with, personally this one single sermon has been probably the most comforting sermon in times when I have been in need of grace upon grace so to say. It is the best definition i have ever heard of ever of all the speakers and preachers i listened to over the years. May it bless you,

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=1373&commentView=itemComments]The grace of God by T.Austin Sparks[/url]

2008/12/24 5:00Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

here is a quote from philologos, I asked him the difference between mercy and grace, since we have no word for grace in swedish, and sometimes as in Pauls letters either the word grace is translated mercy instead or they have just skipped it, so i had some interest in studying this word since we dont have grace in sweden ! :-) so here is a short simple defenition:

[i]There are several different ways of distinguishing the sense of the words. Mercy has the sense of sympathy, of stooping down from a higher place to help someone in a lower place. Grace emphasizes the free gift and it many ways can be likened to someone lifting one who is lower to a higher place. Grace means enabling power, mercy means gentle condescension.[/i]

2008/12/24 5:10Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Q: Please explain Grace. What is grace? What does grace do for me?

A: Grace in mentioned 170 times in the Bible. Consider some of the ways it can be defined:

1. Grace is God's unmerited favor. That is, grace is God doing good for us that we do not deserve. In the Bible, grace and mercy are like two heads of the same coin. Mercy is God withholding judgment or evil that I deserve; grace is God giving me blessing or good that I do not deserve. Because of God's mercy, I do not receive the judgment of God against my sins; because of God's grace, I receive eternal life and a promise of heaven though I do not deserve them. Both mercy and grace come to me though the Lord Jesus Christ.

2. Grace can also be defined as God's sufficiency or God's fullness in the life of the believer. God told Paul, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness" (2Corinthians 12:9). That is, the grace of God in Paul enabled him and empowered him in his weakness. Another verse states, "And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work" (2Corinthians 9:8). God's grace working in us supplies the sufficiency whereby we may abound to every good work. I like to call grace "God's enoughness." By this I mean that God is enough for us no matter what the situation we face.

This being the case, you can see that grace is first of all necessary for salvation. Ephesians 2:8 states, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God." One aspect of salvation is called justification. That is the act by which we are declared just (righteous) before God on the basis of the payment Jesus Christ made for our sin. The Bible clearly teaches that we are justified by the grace of God (Romans 3:24; Titus 3:7).

But not only are we saved by the grace of God--we also serve the Lord and live the Christian life by the grace of God. The letters of Paul always speak of a blessing of grace for the believers (along with peace). Just for an example, Romans 1:7 states, "Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ." Paul is speaking to believers who are already saved and on their way to heaven, but he also recognizes that they need grace for living the Christian life. They need God's strength and sufficiency.

A good verse to help explain this grace by which we live is 1Corinthians 15:10 where Paul testified, "But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." It was God's grace that made him what he was. It was God's goodness working in him that made him the great servant of God he was.

So, obviously, we also need the grace of God. We need it first of all for salvation. Without the grace of God, we cannot have eternal life. However, we also need the grace of God for our daily walk with God. We are weak and prone to stray. Jesus told us that we can do nothing without Him (John 15:5). But God provides daily strength through His grace working in us. We should seek this grace for living from him. Then, we should believe that He will provide what He has promised and walk with assurance that His grace is working in us.

I thank you for sending in this question and I hope and pray that my answer has been helpful to you.

Till He comes,

Pastor David Reagan

Source [url=http://www.learnthebible.org/q_a_what_is_grace.htm]here[/url]

2008/12/24 9:35Profile

Re:

Here is the strongs concordance def. as well as a scripture from Titus.

from 5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):--acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace(- ious), joy, liberality, pleasure, thank(-s, -worthy).

In addition to all we hear in teachings about grace a good "functional" definition is,"the divine influence upon the heart, and it's reflection in the life," aspect of this definition. Now we couple this with the titus scripture,

Titus 2:11 ¶ For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
15 ¶ These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

I think that the combo of the functional definition as well as the Titus scripture completes our general understanding of grace.We often hear only that grace is mercy or unmerited favor, which is true, however it is more than that in order to be true living grace.

2008/12/24 11:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy