SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : I'm selling my books.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
bible1985

Re:

the early church fathers book i might be interested if i get a visa gift card for christmas, how was it?

2008/12/21 16:44Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Guys, get out of debt with all your might and energy, all your will and all your zeal. A creditor is your master, you are not free to serve your master Jesus as you could to because there are 2 masters over you with conflicting interests. There may be various kinds of debts and reasons to be in debt, some more noble and others not so noble. Check if it is because you wanted something that you could not afford at that time and you were not in the will of God.

A mortage on a house is different as long as there is enough equity.

I would go so far as to say that it is even questionable to give money for God's work before you are out of debt.

I say that not to condemn you but because I love you and there is so much more liberty and freedom to be enjoyed for you. You sleep so much sweeter. If you are in debt, you cannot live by faith or go to the mission field because you are honourbound to both God and man to pay this one off first.

narrowpath

2008/12/21 17:43Profile
reformer

Re:

Quote:

narrowpath wrote:
Guys, get out of debt with all your might and energy, all your will and all your zeal. A creditor is your master, you are not free to serve your master Jesus as you could to because there are 2 masters over you with conflicting interests. There may be various kinds of debts and reasons to be in debt, some more noble and others not so noble. Check if it is because you wanted something that you could not afford at that time and you were not in the will of God.

I would go so far as to say that it is even questionable to give money for God's work before you are out of debt.

I say that not to condemn you but because I love you and there is so much more liberty and freedom to be enjoyed for you. You sleep so much sweeter. If you are in debt, you cannot live by faith or go to the mission field because you are honourbound to both God and man to pay this one off first.

narrowpath

Getting out of debt is so crucial to the Kingdom of God and to your family. We thankfully have our cars paid for and still have the mortgage, refinanced at a great rate just the other day...God is merciful. Because I did some stupid things 5 years ago financially. Allow credit card to creep back in and got out of control.

I say sell what you can, anything you don't need. If KingJimmy's books will help him start the process of getting out of debt...cut him some slack! Maybe those books might be a blessing to someone else, am I sure God can use those books to minister or be a blessing in someone's life if need be.

Its funny sometimes on SI, many of us on here value are own inflated opinions, we don't mind showcasing them. I can think of other books I would like to burn...

I encourage anyone who has the desire to destroy debt...do whatever it takes. I set a goal to pay off the house within 15 years. If I just make one total payment a year on a thirty year mortgage, I would knock five years off the life of the loan.

2008/12/21 18:11Profile
repentcanada

Re: I'm selling my books.

the warren book is good for enothing and potentially can bring someone down in faith. it aint worth the $10

2008/12/21 19:37Profile
bible1985

Re:

so what exactly is wrong with the purpose driven life, i have read and found hard to take in the sacrifice as a christian, like how he said that it is not about us but about God. I found that to be very good from what i remember, but i haven't read for almost 5 years now, but i thought it helped me.

2008/12/21 19:53Profile
JoanM

Re:

FYI - Census worker: FT/PT, paid weekly, $10 - $22/hr. apply now/ work begins in February. [url=www.census.gov/2010censusjobs , ]Link here.[/url], 1-866-861-2010

Consider educating yourself daily about the Word of God as it applies to stewardship of resources. Really. The archives on [url=http://www.crown.org/ ]crown.org [/url]are loaded with truth, testimony, and practical suggestions. This is the only Christian Broadcast that called for prayer, repentance, and biblical revival in August. Greed does not exist in some “wall street, bank, or pork-barreling legislature”. It is in our heart. Practical ideas: six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work. Before you loose your job, pick up a part-time job, reduce/eliminate your debt. As unemployment increases the jobs that are “beneath you” will be taken. Bagers at some grocery stores get reduced prices on food. If you ever spend a year without television and three cell phones, do it this year. If you can’t live without them, consider it a fast. They could be a lot cheaper in a year or two. The archive on hyperinflation verses recession was an eye-opener to me and explained why my Moldavian neighbor wanted to buy one of my 50-gallon drums.

About “A mortgage on a house is different as long as there is enough equity”: The major problem in the depression for individuals was that a man lost his job AND did not own his home. Who knows that the price paid for homes was recently ridiculously high? Who has seen the market correction in a reduction of their property tax? Loss of value effects equity. As the value of homes reduce many will find they owe more than their property is “worth.” People still employed, without credit card debt, keeping up with things, are affected by this. Check your fine print. Banks can choose to cut their losses, call notes due and foreclose. Move close enough to your job to walk if need be. Take in a boarder from your fellowship (a family member) for one year to help them get out of debt. And if all this comes to nothing (yea right), you will be out of debt, more intimately involved with your family and have a much smaller appetite for the things of this world.

Sorry. I got carried away. The only thing that matters here is the job link and the radio link to informed and biblical information. Radio is free and so are their counselors.

2008/12/21 20:01Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I was also motivated by idolatry, for I was proud, often, of my understanding and spirituality in possessing these books. It was good for me to dispossess them.

No doubt, at a time in my life much of the acquisition of the books I had was out of idolatry. I liked the mere idea of having books, even if all they did was collect dust. Over the past 2 years my purchasing of books has almost vanished. From time to time I buy one. And if I buy it, I surely read it. When it comes to theological books though, I have worked out a deal with the local seminary that allows me to borrow up to 4 books a month for free. Granted, lately I have not been able to do such due to my schedule... and reading stuff other than theology/devotional literature. I've come to see that in reality, there is little reason to keep most books longer than it takes to read once. Thus, if you have a good local library, there is little reason to buy a book. Though, sometimes I still keep some books because I can justify keeping them for future study purposes.

2008/12/21 22:36Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

the early church fathers book i might be interested if i get a visa gift card for christmas, how was it?

If you get such a card, you may be interested in the book. The church fathers book is pretty good. It is nothing more than a collection of the writings of the first and second century church fathers. Ccel.org has everything within that book online for free.

2008/12/21 22:38Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Guys, get out of debt with all your might and energy, all your will and all your zeal.

Indeed. Proverbs 6:1-11 has good counsel concerning this. It says if you have co-signed on something for somebody, and thus incur their debt due to their failure to repay, it says to "deliver yourself like a gazelle from the hunter's hand" (6:5). Dave Ramsey says we ought to have a "gazelle's intensity" about getting out of debt. Then the proverb goes on to talk about hard work, and how being a sluggard in such a time will surely lead to poverty.

Interestingly enough, Dave Ramsey counsels against taking on debt for just about any reason save for taking out a 15 year fixed rate mortgage. So far as I've been exposed to his material, he never says why it is ok to purchase a house with debt, but not anything else. Though even in regard to that, he encourages people to buy a house in cash whenever possible.

Such is not the first time I've heard this, though, it is a rare counsel. I know that in the journal of George Muller, he refused to accept donations from people in debt. Likewise, Zac Poonen counsels against believers giving anything while in debt. For such, he says, is failure to "render to Cesar the things that are Cesar's." Such seems like an improper application of that passage imo.

I believe that so long as it is within our means at the present time, we should regularly give towards the work of the Lord and helping those who are poor. Though I would like to give more than I am presently able due to my debts, I believe God has called me to support ministries and bless others according to my ability in my present situation.

I believe one of my gifts is the ability to give. I cannot imagine choking that gift and putting it on hold until I pay all my creditors off in full. Granted, my debt has limited my ability to give to some degree, but, I still have been able to give a significant portion of my income to the work of the Lord both local and abroad. Indeed, I did not discover my gift of giving until I was already well into debt. Though it is always tempting to stop giving and simply pay off my debts, I believe the little amount of money I make the Lord has given me so that I might give to others. Even if I were not presently giving any money out, it would still be several years before I could pay off my debts in full.

If you are in debt, you cannot live by faith or go to the mission field because you are honourbound to both God and man to pay this one off first.

Indeed. No doubt there is obligation that keeps me from fulfilling the call I believe God ultimately has on my life to be a church planter/missionary. But, I believe I personally still have some more spiritual growth to undergo before I undertake such a task. I don't believe the Lord is sending me just yet.

2008/12/21 23:01Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I know the link keeps getting buried, so I thought I'd bump it up. In case you are interesting, I am selling a great number of the books I own through Amazon.com. I have a little over 30 books for sale right now, and will from time to time add more. I hope to rid myself of about 100+ books altogether. Perhaps more.

http://www.amazon.com/shops/jimmy6871

2008/12/21 23:13Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy