SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Greenock Conference - Was it irrelevent?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lawevangelis

Justin, TX

Re:

Interesting. I've never known "cultural relevancy" to be a qualification for revival. Do you have chapter and verse on that?

Jon

2008/12/18 10:32Profile

Re: Cultural relevency

No, fair play, you are quite right. All previous revivals were culturally irrelvent. I should have thought about that!

2008/12/18 10:39

Re: My own press - www.whisperingword.com

Judging by one of the modarator comments. I am about to get kicked out for advertising my web site (which by the way is - www.whisperingword.com) ???

So, my I say that my short sojourn with you all has not disproven my constant experience with the most holy. As Spurgeon rightly comments 'We are all fine birds until we get our feathers ruffled!"

How good and pleasant it always is to dwell with the people of God, that is, until you disagree with them in charge!

Blessings on you all anyhoo the noo.

2008/12/18 10:40

Re: The Greenock Conference - Was it irrelevent?

I took the time to go to "whispering's" web site, peruse the links, and to listen to parts of a couple of recordings. This would be Reverend Robert Farrell.If you could take honor in a critic singling you out, this would be the fellow. Is he a Christian? You be the judge of that. I see him as a religious secular humanist, who is somewhat of a gifted speaker and writer.

He happens to call himself a Pastor. The first thing that you will encounter when you arrive is the sale of various teachings and POETRY...for among his many accomplishments....[he lists them all, by the way,], he is a new age "flow of consciousness" poet. I went to U-Tube , and listened. Wow! ..really out there kind-of-beatnik garbage..] His site reminded me of the infamous "Elijah list", with the latest deep revelation FOR SALE, and not so cheap, either.

I could go on, but it wearies me to consider how filled with himself this fellow is, and a I said, in my opinion,I do not witness our Lord Jesus in his life, teachings, or recorded ministry. You shall know them by their fruit.

Having said that, Zac Poonen , I believe did a good teaching on how we receive accusation and Criticism. Remember, that this, along with persecution will come to "all who live Godly in Christ Jesus." Satan attacks those who stand in Jesus, and there is real suffering involved, and misunderstanding and rejection too. How do we receive this? "Jesus answered him not a word." [Pilate's inquiry.]

Revival is not an event, but an overall repentance from dead works, and a faith toward God. God gives revival, and there seems to always be a "breaking up of the fallow ground" that precedes revival, in which we humans cannot control. as much as we would like to.

This flies in the face of those who perceive revival as an event, which is based on a "blessed up" ideology and doctrine that if God is involved, it must have man's blessing and well being at it's core, and reality then is based on the positive EXPERIENCE of God, on our terms...rather than Faith and communion with God,which is based on our repentance and willing death to ourselves, our satanic natures, to gain Him. There is always suffering in this...always. This is the nature of true Christianity, to "PICK UP YOUR CROSS...[your own death..crucifixion of yourself to be with a holy God..]AND FOLLOW ME!"

In some instances much time goes by, before God chooses to grace a people, or return to them. He does however, hear those who love Him. We must remain as the infant who trusts, for such is the Kingdom of God. We are helpless, and we need Him for our heartbeat and breath, and also our mortal enemies seek our lives, and to destroy our faith.

Read 2 Corinthians chapter one, to see a diary of the greatest revivalist who ever lived. He suffered incessantly, as His Lord commissioned him to be so. We have no rights to blessing. We must learn this from the start to be successful...[read Job..]. Our blessing and our power is in Heaven, where our Master sits. Herein is the voice of all the martyrs, who also sought to bring true, Biblical revival.

2008/12/18 10:55
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Just a question brother because I am somewhat confused about how you are defining revival.

Would you have been upset with Paul because his preaching failed to close the temples in Corinth or the active slave trade? Would you have seen his brief stay in Thessolonica as a failure?

Is revival the saving of a culture? or of individuals out of a culture that God has condemned?

Also, I am pentecostal yet considered very conservative :).

Blessings,
Jeremy Hulsey

2008/12/18 10:56Profile
JoanM

Re: culture

Whispering: I have only ever heard of two cultures, two Kingdoms.

2008/12/18 10:58Profile

Re:

I am not always good at knowing when to "remain silent." :) So, I will not respond to brother Robert. Just know that I am praying for you brother. I love you and ernestly pray that God uses you in whatever arena that he has called you too. Here are some Scriptures that popped into my mind. They may not be culturally relevent :)

1Jn 2:10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no offense in him.

1Jn 3:11 For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another;

1Jn 3:23 And this is His commandment, that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

Rom 13:8 Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves another has fulfilled the Law.

Jn 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God, and everyone who loves has been born of God, and knows God.

1Jn 4:11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

1Jn 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God has in us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.

1Jn 4:21 And we have this commandment from Him, that he who loves God should love his brother also.

2Jn 1:5 And now I beseech you, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment to you, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.
2Jn 1:6 And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, as you heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.

1Th 4:9 But regarding brotherly love, you do not need that I write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another.

One of the lessons in Greenock was ..........

Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I have become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2 And though I have prophecies, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so as to move mountains, and do not have love, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3 And though I give out all my goods to feed the poor, and though I deliver my body to be burned, and have not love, I am profited nothing.
1Co 13:4 Love has patience, is kind; love is not envious, is not vain, is not puffed up;
1Co 13:5 does not behave indecently, does not seek her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil.
1Co 13:6 Love does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth,
1Co 13:7 quietly covers all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1Co 13:8 Love never fails.

Brother Frank

2008/12/18 11:00
Nellie

Re:

Revivals are to Glorify God, and the Revival in Greenock did this.
It is my understanding that Paster Carter Conlon is going back in the Spring.
God Bless all.
Nellie

2008/12/18 11:14Profile

Re: Flow of Consciousness - oooh yes please!

May I in Christian love call you out my brother. Fisty cuffs at dawn if you please. May I also ask for your details that I might take up libel proceedings against you in particular. Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you.

Only joking of course! hahahahah... good to see you old fashgioned holiness Christians are still spewing out Christian love. No really, bless you.

I took the time to go to "whispering's" web site, peruse the links, and to listen to parts of a couple of recordings. This would be Reverend Robert Farrell. YES IT'S ME! I look pretty cool. I prefer my blond haired stage though...but ahh, the passing of time and the rising cost of hair dye.

If you could take honor in a critic singling you out, this would be the fellow. Is he a Christian? You be the judge of that. Judging my salvation eh. Bold move. Brave move even.

I see him as a religious secular humanist, who is somewhat of a gifted speaker and writer. Thank you for the latter, as for the former, well may I say that if you were a woman in the Old testament, you would have had your hand removed for grabbing at such testicular nonsense.

He happens to call himself a Pastor. No my cobgregation call me Pastor.

The first thing that you will encounter when you arrive is the sale of various teachings and POETRY...for among his many accomplishments....[he lists them all, by the way,],
No! it's not the only thing you see, and frankly just where is all the web space to list ALL my MANY accomplishements.

he is a new age "flow of consciousness" poet.
again....may I say with great resepct.....Noo. it takes me ages to write poetry. Flow of conssiousness...sheeeshsh I WISH!

I went to U-Tube , and listened. Wow! ..

THANK YOU
really out there kind-of-beatnik garbage..]

you really should get out more....

His site reminded me of the infamous "Elijah list", with the latest deep revelation FOR SALE, and not so cheap, either.

14.99 for 700 pages of red hot spirituality! Dirt cheap mate I can ssusre you and worth every blinking penny. It's taken me years to write those two books of 700 pages each (did I tell you they were just 14.99)

I could go on, oooh I know you could!

but it wearies me to consider how filled with himself this fellow is, and a I said, in my opinion,I do not witness our Lord Jesus in his life, teachings, or recorded ministry. You shall know them by their fruit.

years in ministry and faithful dedication to loving and serving God and then sent to hell in one paragraph! That's me well and truly scuppered then!

Ah well, I'm off down the pub to meet with some real people and lick my wounds..... anyone fancy a pint?

2008/12/18 11:17

Re: Praying

Thanks for your prayers Frank.....I need all I can get get! It would appear that I am a lion in a den of Daniels..Lord deliver me from Your please! Amen!

Blessings upon thee the noo Frank.

2008/12/18 11:19

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy