SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Your favorite Christmas memory

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Last year... for a different reason.

Last year it was around 11:30pm at night Christmas eve. I was just sitting around and spending some time with the Lord. Everything was ready to go for tomorrow, car packed, gifts ready, food prepared to be cooked, kids and my wife all sound asleep.... All of a sudden I felt that I wanted to be buy other Christians sharing in the memory of the birth of Christ and longing for singing out praises to His name.

So I got my shoes on and left with what I was wearing, jeans, hooded sweat-shirt with holes everywhere and my thermal hate (cold out).

I went driving around looking for "churches" that were open for worship. I pulled into a church that had a full parking lot, sadly knowing that most of the people who came in these cars this night would not be seen on any regualr Sunday... I proceeded to enter the church.

As I entered the church, I heard the singing of Silent Night. What a wonderful sound it was. I was excited to go and sit inside with other believers that were praising the name of the Lord.

I started to walk up to the main assembly area and saw a man standing by the door (usher I am sure). I started to walk towards him and had a smile on my face because I could see that the room was packed full. I was thinking, "Please Lord, let a true awakening happen in this place tonight".

As I walked closer to the man, he began to look me up and down. He looked at my jeans and looked at my "holy" sweat-shirt. He then looked me in the eyes, and turned his back to me. I just stood there. I peaked into the room where all these people were sitting. I saw families together singing praises to the Lord. I saw people dressed up in the Chirstmas Sunday best...

I saw Laodicia.

I left and walked to my car thinking the whole time that if there were any true believers in there, the lukewarmness of the church swallowed them whole. I was wondering if an angel came to them looking like me, would they host him in love?

I went back to my home, came inside, and praised the Lord that I am counted worthy to be looked down upon for His name.

2008/12/18 13:36Profile

Re:

Not sure if I should say praise the Lord, or what?

What you say is true tho, that is the state of many churches. Praise the Lord not all of them tho. Most believers I hang out with probably wouldn't be welcome in some churches. Too poor... too many tattoos... whatever it may be.

We have to remember when we pull our on Christmas suits and dresses that the Lord of Glory was born in a barn... not a palace. The manger was nothing more than a chisled rock in which grain and slop was pour into for animals to eat... not a pillow top mattress. The stable smelled of donkeys, horses and cattle... not scented candles.

He made Himself lowly so that the lowly would be drawn to Him.

I've been in those situations such as you describe. I'm not a suit and tie guy unless it's for a business meeting. I find that I get rather prideful about my appearance... so I don't dress up very often. I have had people look down their noses. I feel pity for them. I feel compelled to pray for them.

But I do have one question, brother... how in the world did you get your wife and kids in bed by 11pm on Christmas Eve? We usually shuffle the kids off to bed by 10... then spend time getting things ready for the morning wake up call from the 3 & 5 yr olds. Also there is usually my wife and I... and a fireplace... and egnog... mistletoe...etc...

Krispy

2008/12/18 14:08
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

KrispyKrittr wrote:

Quote:
Not sure if I should say praise the Lord, or what?

I say praise the Lord in this situation because I once was among the walking-dead like I saw in this church, and I realize that I should have gone to hell. But the Lord in His mercy and grace has chosen me to call His own. I am counted worthy because of His son.

He opened my eyes Christmas eve night. If I choose to shut them, I shut them on Him, and Him alone. I praise the Lord that He would reveal Himself to me in such a small, yet so large way. That He loves His children enough to share with them the good and the not so good. In all things praise the Lord.

[u][b]Psalm 150 (NKJV)[/b][/u]

1 Praise the LORD!

Praise God in His sanctuary;
Praise Him in His mighty firmament!

2 Praise Him for His mighty acts;
Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!

3 Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet;
Praise Him with the lute and harp!
4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance;
Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
5 Praise Him with loud cymbals;
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.

Praise the LORD!

Quote:
But I do have one question, brother... how in the world did you get your wife and kids in bed by 11pm on Christmas Eve? We usually shuffle the kids off to bed by 10... then spend time getting things ready for the morning wake up call from the 3 & 5 yr olds. Also there is usually my wife and I... and a fireplace... and egnog... mistletoe...etc...

We have the kids well trained. My wife has me well trained ;-)

Seriously though. Between the driving to and from from different grandparents homes on Christmas day, the amount of time cooking AND eating, getting the young kids to nap (or preparing for a day without naps for the kids:-?) opening presents, calming the kids down after a long day with in the car and at families homes, getting everything organized at the end of the night, oh...did I say eating?...

This all tends to put my wife to bed very early.

Krispy

2008/12/18 15:57Profile

Re:

Amen bro... good word.

My wife knocks herself out with the cooking etc too. She loves it. But we've both learned to pull back a little and make time for just the two of us. Used to be that our "romance time" on Christmas Eve came at about 2am after finishing wrapping, and church and everything else. This year we're done with everything pertaining to gifts (a silver lining to the recession!).

Thats why I was wondering how you managed to get alone time at 11pm! There were a couple years where we were just getting rolling at 11pm! lol... all part of having kids.

This year tho... the plan is to go Caroling with the some friends after dinner, then come back home and do communion and devotions... get the kids off to bed by 10. Get everything downstairs and ready for morning by 11. And then snuggle my "angel" up next to me on the couch soon after. A little Bing Crosby, a warm fire. I'll take romance over gift wrapping any day!

Ahhh... gotta love it.

Krispy

2008/12/18 16:32
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

KrispyKrittr wrote:

Quote:
I'll take romance over gift wrapping any day!

You will NEVER hear me disagree on that point :-)

2008/12/18 16:49Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
You will NEVER hear me disagree on that point

LOL! that is one reason a man needs a wife!

ginnyrose

2008/12/18 22:29Profile

Re:

Quote:
LOL! that is one reason a man needs a wife!

Amen sister! People know which gifts I wrapped and which gifts my wife wrapped... lol. Her's are beautiful, the paper is cut perfectly, bows and ribbons in just the right way. It actually makes you not want to ruin it by tearing it open.

The gifts I wrap look like I wrapped them in the garage and used duct tape, a blow torch, Gorilla Glue and bailing twine.

My wife is my perfect compliment in so many ways. Everyone adores her... and tolerates me. lol

Krispy

2008/12/19 7:42
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
The gifts I wrap look like I wrapped them in the garage and used duct tape, a blow torch, Gorilla Glue and bailing twine.

Ah, the imagery that comes to my mind....I can see it! and yes, please [i]allow[/i] ;-) your wife to wrap those gifts! LOL

Seriously, I was thinking about this overnight and want to share it here, so get on your hiking boots - we're off on a rabbit trail!

I just love it when married men express publicly their appreciation and love for their wives. A good example is what has been posted on this thread. It makes other females feel secure, like our trust in males to lead is justified, be it church, community or the government. And when husbands mistreat their wives for any reason, it destroys trust among morally, upright females for males.

When I heard that our Rep in Washington, Chip Pickering, is divorcing his wife, I got so very upset! So upset I think he ought to be strung up by his toes and left there until the buzzards come home. You see, I have met Chip, we had our picture taken with him; we have visited with him. He spoke at a CPC banquet. He was a fine, upright man - or so we thought. He projected himself as a Christian (foremost), a loving father (now of five boys!!), and husband and an ardent pro-lifer and pro-family man. Now he steps out on his wife and divorces her! Man, I am so upset...and he knows better. In his youth he served as a missionary to Hungry...See what I mean? This makes me MAD! And I feel so sorry for his wife, so sorry it just about makes me cry.

OK, enough of my rant...get the point? OK, you guys, go love your wives and make sure everyone knows it! best Christmas gift you can give to your community - wherever that may be, here on SI or in your physical community.

God bless ya,

ginnyrose

2008/12/19 9:20Profile

Re:

Thats an interesting insight, Ginny. I didn't realize that how I treat my wife effects other women as well.

It's easy to treat her well tho. She's a peach. (A Georgia peach to be exact!)

Krispy

2008/12/19 9:46

Re:

By the way... I dont want to make my wife out to be perfect. She isnt. Her one flaw is that she is partial to the Atlanta Falcons.

Pray for her.

Krispy
;-)

2008/12/19 10:07

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy