Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Law: pt #2

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sscr01

The Law: pt #2

The, only law that was fulfilled was the Ceremonial law.

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangeably with,"law,""commandments,"Precepts," "statutes,""judgments," testimonies."

HIS WORD = HIS LAW

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. BUT HIS DELIGHT IS IN THE LAW OF THE LORD; AND IN HIS LAW DOTH HE MEDITATE DAY AND NIGHT." Ps 1:1,2

"THE LAW OF THE LORD IS PERFECT, CONVERTING THE SOUL: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. MORE TO BE DESIRED ARE THEY THAN GOLD, YEA, THAN MUCH FINE GOLD: SWEETER ALSO THAN THE HONEY AND THE HONEYCOMB. Moreover by them is Thy servant warned: and IN KEEPING OF THEM THERE IS GREAT REWARD." Ps 19:7-11

"The law of God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide." Ps 37:31

"I delight to do Thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart." Ps 40:8; Jer 31:31-34; Heb 8:10 (Under the New Covenant, the Lord engraves His Covenant in our hearts and minds. That is why Jesus said, that, if a man looks upon a woman to lust, he has, already, committed adultery with her in his heart.)

"Give ear, O My people, to MY LAW: incline your ears to THE WORDS OF MY MOUTH." Ps 78:1 (Again, the Word and the Law)

"As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions ("of the law" 1 John 3:4) from us...TO SUCH AS KEEP HIS COVENANT AND TO THOSE THAT REMEMBER HIS COMMANDMENTS TO DO THEM." Ps 103 (Covenants have conditions.)

"Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord...Open Thou my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Thy law." Ps 119:1,18

"Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me Thy law graciously...Give me understanding, and I shall keep Thy law: yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart." Ps 119:29,34

"So shall I keep Thy law continually forever and ever...Horror hath take hold upon me because of THE WICKED THAT FORSAKE THY LAW." Ps 119:44,53

"Let Thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: for Thy law is my delight...O HOW I LOVE THY LAW! IT IS MY MEDITATION ALL THE DAY." Ps 119:77,97

"I hate vain thoughts: but Thy law do I love...It is time for Thee to work: FOR THEY HAVE MADE VOID THY LAW." Ps 119:113,126

"DO WE THEN MAKE VOID THE LAW THROUGH FAITH? GOD FORBID: YEA, WE ESTABLISH THE LAW." Rom 3:31

"Rivers of water run down my eyes, BECAUSE THEY KEEP NOT THY LAW...Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and Thy law is Truth." Ps 119:136,142

"I have longed for Thy salvation, O Lord; and THY LAW IS MY DELIGHT." Ps 119:174

"For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life." Pro 6:23

"The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the sanres of death." Pro 13:14

"THEY THAT FORSAKE THE LAW PRAISE THE WICKED: BUT SUCH AS KEEP THE LAW CONTEND WITH THEM." Pro 28:4

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law:FOR SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW." 1 John 3:4

"For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity (LAWLESSNESS) and idolatry..." 1 Sam 15:23

Jesus said, "He that rejecteth Me and receiveth not My Words, hath one that judgeth him: THE WORD THAT I HAVE SPOKEN, THE SAME SHALL JUDGE HIM IN THE LAST DAY." John 12:48

The Apostle Paul wrote, "For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: AND AS MANY AS HAVE SINNED IN THE LAW SHALL BE JUDGED BY THE LAW; For not the hearers of the law are just before God, BUT THE DOERS OF THE LAW SHALL BE JUSTIFIED." Rom 2:12,13

His Word/His law will judge each one of us. Do you want His Word/His law to judge you?

Or, to hear Him say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant?"

"And being made perfect, HE BECAME THE AUTHOR OF ETERNAL SALVATION, UNTO ALL THEM THAT OBEY HIM." Heb 5:9

2008/12/13 16:40Profile
rookie

Re: The Law: pt #2

Quote:
The, only law that was fulfilled was the Ceremonial law.

I don't think Solomon would agree with this statement....

Proverbs 1:
20 Wisdom calls aloud outside;
She raises her voice in the open squares.
21 She cries out in the chief concourses,
At the openings of the gates in the city
She speaks her words:
22 “How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?
For scorners delight in their scorning,
And fools hate knowledge.
23 Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.

Only by the Spirit can one hear and do the word of God...

"Surely I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you."

The law of the Spirit overcomes the law given to Moses on Mount Sinai

In Christ
Jeff

2008/12/13 19:02Profile
sscr01

Re:

The law given to Moses was the Ceremonial law.
Circumcision is now of the heart, washings are baptism, Jesus, the clean, became unclean so that we may be clean. The Sabbath Feast Days were fulfilled:

Passover: Our Passover Lamb
Unleavened Bread: He was without sin
Tabernacles: He "tabernacled among us"

If the Ceremonial law had not been fulfilled, we would, still, sacrifice animals.

CEREMONIAL LAW:

1. Is called, "the law contained in ordinances." Eph 2:15
2. Was spoken by Moses. Lev 1:1-3
3. Was written by Moses in a book. 11 Chron 35:12
4. Was placed in the side of The Ark. Deut 31:24-26 (to show it's temporal nature)
5. Was nailed to the cross. Col 2:14
6. Was abolished by Christ. Eph 2:15

THE TEN COMMANDMENT COVENANT:

1. Is called, the "royal law" Ja 2:8
2. Was spoken by God. Deut 4:12,13
3. Was written with the finger of God. Ex 31:18
4. Was placed inside The Ark. Ex 40:20;Heb 9:4
5. Is to "stand forever and ever." Ps 111:7,8
6. Was not destroyed by Christ. Mt 5:17,18

The Ten Commandment Covenant deals with our character and is used by the Holy Spirit in our on-going process of sanctification.

You, surely, don't think, you can bow down and worship other gods, take His name in vain, profane His holy day, murder, commit adultery, steal, bear false witness, covet and walk in His Holy Spirit? That would be blasphemous. The Holy Spirit will never lead us into sin, or, "the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4

James 2:10,11 tells us, that if we break any of His commandments, we become transgressors of His law and are guilty of breaking all of them.

Jesus said, "Not everyone that SAITH, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that DOETH the will of My Father, which is in heaven.

MANY will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name DONE MANY WONDERFUL WORKS?

And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity (LAWLESSNESS) Mt 7:21-23

"AND HEREBY WE DO KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. He that saith, I KNOW HIM and keepeth not His commandments is a LIAR and the Truth is not in him. BUT WHOSO KEEPETH HIS WORD, IN HIM VERILY IS THE LOVE OF GOD PERFECTED: hereby we do know that we are in Him." 1 John 2:3-5

Jesus said, "If ye love Me,keep My commandments." John 14:14

Jesus said, "He that hath My commandments and keepeth them, HE IT IS THAT LOVETH ME: AND HE THAT LOVETH ME SHALL BE LOVED OF MY FATHER, AND I WILL LOVE HIM, and will manifest Myself to him." John 14:21

Even in heaven, the Lord makes quite a statement about His Covenant:

"And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple THE ARK OF HIS TESTAMENT: and there were LIGHTNINGS, and VOICES, and THUNDERINGS, and AN EARTHQUAKE, and GREAT HAIL." Rev 11:19

At the very end of the Book of all Books, the Apostle John wrote, "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14 (Again, Covenants have conditions.)

2008/12/13 19:26Profile
rookie

Re:

Quote:
The Holy Spirit will never lead us into sin, or, "the transgression of the law."

This is absolutely true...for Scripture says it so.

Proverbs 7:
3 She cries out by the gates, at the entry of the city,
At the entrance of the doors:
4 “To you, O men, I call,
And my voice is to the sons of men.
5 O you simple ones, understand prudence,
And you fools, be of an understanding heart.
6 Listen, for I will speak of excellent things,
And from the opening of my lips will come right things;
7 For my mouth will speak truth;
Wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
8 All the words of my mouth are with righteousness;
Nothing crooked or perverse is in them.
9 They are all plain to him who understands,
And right to those who find knowledge.

"All the words of my mouth are with righteousness; nothing crooked or perverse is in them"

Are "they " ..."all plain to him who understands"?

In Christ
Jeff

2008/12/14 6:17Profile
rookie

Quote:
In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangeably with,"law,""commandments,"Precepts," "statutes,""judgments," testimonies."

Without God speaking to us, His word, we would not understand His precepts and statutes. Without His word, we would not know what it is He wants us to do. Without His word, we would not be convicted of our sin, we would not understand His judgements in our lives. Without His word we would not have His testimonies of how He loves us.

If He didn't speak how could we know Him?

IN Christ
Jeff

2008/12/16 14:38Profile
sscr01

Re:

Amen. And most important of all, Jesus is the Word of God. John 1:1;Rev 19:13

God spoke to Abraham,"And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;

BECAUSE that Abraham obeyed My voice (His Word), and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws." Gen 26:4,5

Rom 16:26 refers to "the obedience of faith."

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: FOR SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

And ye know that He was manifested to TAKE AWAY OUR SINS; and in Him is no sin.

Whosoever abideth in Him (walks in His Spirit) sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him nor KNOWN HIM.

Jesus said, "Not every one that SAITH, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven,but he that DOETH the will of My Father, which is in heaven.

MANY will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and IN THY NAME DONE MANY WONDERFUL WORKS?

And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity."(LAWLESSNESS) Mt 7:21-23.

"AND HEREBY WE DO KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. He that saith, I KNOW HIM, and keepeth not His commandments, is a LIAR and the Truth is not in him. BUT WHOSO KEEPETH HIS WORD, IN HIM VERILY IS THE LOVE OF GOD PERFECTED: hereby we do know that we are in Him." 1 John 2:3-5

"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.

He that committeth sin is of the Devil; for the Devil sinneth from the beginning.

FOR THIS PURPOSE WAS THE SON OF GOD MANIFESTED, THAT HE MIGHT DESTROY THE WORKS OF THE DEVIL.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the Devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." James 2

When we walk in His Spirit, we do not sin. It is when we fall back on the old ways, that we sin.

2008/12/16 15:03Profile
sscr01

Re:

Rom 16:26 refers to "the obedience of faith."

"Even so faith, if it hath not works is dead, being alone.

Yea a man may say, Thou hast faith and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe and tremble.

But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Was not Abraham our father (Ga 3:7,29) JUSTIFIED BY WORKS when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? (In obedience to God's Word)

SEEST THOU HOW FAITH WROUGHT WITH HIS WORKS, AND BY WORKS WAS FAITH MADE PERFECT?

And the Scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham BELIEVED GOD (Faith), and it was imputed to him for righteousness: and he was called the friend of God...For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." James 2.

2008/12/16 15:14Profile
rbanks

Re:

The bible tells us that we who are in Christ are not under the Law but grace, therefore sin does not have dominion over us.

2Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
2Co 3:7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
2Co 3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
2Co 3:10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
2Co 3:11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

2Co 3:13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
2Co 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

The ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, but that glory has been done away.

The scriptures are clear that the law in it's entirety has been fulfilled by Christ and abolished and this also includes the 10 Commandments. We are not under thou shalt not anymore, but it is now, I delight to do thy will oh God. The righteousness of the Law is fulfilled in us who are in the new covenant by walking in the Spirit. I am not under the 10 commandments trying to fulfill them but His law is in my heart teaching me to walk in Love to keep the commandments of Christ. I am not trying to keep the commandments under the old covenant of "thou shalt not" nor "all the ceremonial rules and regulations" because Christ has already fulfilled the requirements of the OT and the only one who ever could.

I can only establish the Law through the righteousness of being in Christ walking in His Spirit.

2008/12/16 18:56Profile
sscr01

Re:

"WHAT SHALL WE SAY THEN? SHALL WE CONTINUE IN SIN ("the transgression of the law" 1 John 3:4) THAT GRACE MAY ABOUND? GOD FORBID. HOW SHALL WE THAT ARE DEAD TO SIN LIVE ANY LONGER THEREIN?" Rom 6:1

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used, interchangeably with, "law," "commandments," "precepts," "statutes,""judgments," "testimonies."

(I first learned this from Dr.R.C.Sproul, and I confirmed it with my Hebrew/Greek Interlinear Bible)

HIS WORD = HIS LAW

"A NEW HEART also will I give you, and A NEW SPIRIT will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

AND I WILL PUT MY SPIRIT WITHIN YOU, and CAUSE YOU to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments and do them." Ezek 36:26,27

The, only, law that was fulfilled, was the Ceremonial law. Circumcision is now of the heart,washings are baptism, Jesus, the clean, became unclean, so that we may be clean. The Sabbath Feast Days were fufilled:

PASSOVER: Our Passover Lamb
UNLEAVENED BREAD: He was without sin
TABERNACLES: He "tabernacled among us"...

If the Ceremonial law had not been fulfilled, we would, still, sacrifice animals.

CEREMONIAL LAW:

1. Is called, "the law contained in ordinances." Eph 2:15
2. Was spoken by Moses. Lev 1:1-3
3. Was written by Moses in a book. 11 Chron 35:12
4. Was placed in the side of The Ark (to show it's temporal nature.)
5. Was nailed to the cross. Col 2:14
6. Was abolished by Christ.

THE TEN COMMANDMENT COVENANT:

1. Is called, the "royal law" Ja 2:8
2. Was spoken by God. Deut 4;12,13
3. Was written with the finger of God. Ex 31:18
4. Was placed inside The Ark. Ex 40:20;Heb 9:4
5. Is to "stand forever and ever." Ps 111:7,8
6. Was not destroyed by Christ. Mt 5:17,18

The Ten Commandment Covenant deals with our character and is used by the Holy Spirit in our on-going process of sanctification.

Even in heaven, the Lord makes quite a statement about His Covenant:

"And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple THE ARK OF HIS TESTAMENT: and there were LIGHTNINGS, and VOICES, and THUNDERINGS, and AN EARTHQUAKE, and GREAT HAIL." Rev 11:19.

So, why does 1 John 3:4 say, that, "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: FOR SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW?

"DO WE THEN MAKE VOID THE LAW THROUGH FAITH? GOD FORBID:YEA, WE ESTABLISH THE LAW." Rom 3:31

Why does the Apostle Paul write, "For as man as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: AND AS MANY AS HAVE SINNED IN THE LAW SHALL BE JUDGED BY THE LAW; FOR NOT THE HEARERS OF THE LAW ARE JUST BEFORE GOD, BUT THE DOERS OF THE LAW SHALL BE JUSTIFIED." Rom 2:12,13?

I hope you are not saying, that we can bow down and worship other gods, take His name in vain, profane His holy day, dishonor our parents, murder, commit adultery, steal, bear false witness, covet and walk in His Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will never lead us into sin, or, "the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.

And, why does the Apostle John write at the very end of the Scripture, "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.

COVENANTS HAVE CONDITIONS

2008/12/16 19:24Profile
thomasm

Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada

Rom; 3: 19&31

2008/12/17 0:38Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy