SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What Exactly Is 'Willful' sin Biblically?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

What Exactly Is 'Willful' sin Biblically?

I only know of two places the word 'willful' is used in the NT.

[color=000066]For if we sin [u]wilfully[/u] after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, (Hebrews 10:26)

Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but [u]willingly[/u]; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; (I Peter 5:2)
[/color]

Adam Clarke:

If we deliberately, for fear of persecution or from any other motive, renounce the profession of the Gospel and the Author of that Gospel, after having received the knowledge of the truth so as to be convinced that Jesus is the promised Messiah, and that he had sprinkled our hearts from an evil conscience; for such there remaineth no sacrifice for sins; for as the Jewish sacrifices are abolished, as appears by the declaration of God himself in the fortieth Psalm, and Jesus being now the only sacrifice which God will accept, those who reject him have none other; therefore their case must be utterly without remedy. This is the meaning of the apostle, and the case is that of a deliberate apostate-one who has utterly rejected Jesus Christ and his atonement, and renounced the whole Gospel system. It has nothing to do with backsliders in our common use of that term. A man may be overtaken in a fault, or he may deliberately go into sin, and yet neither renounce the Gospel, nor deny the Lord that bought him. His case is dreary and dangerous, but it is not hopeless; no case is hopeless but that of the deliberate apostate, who rejects the whole Gospel system, after having been saved by grace, or convinced of the truth of the Gospel. To him there remaineth no more sacrifice for sin; for there was but the ONE, Jesus, and this he has utterly rejected.

Is this the only sense in which 'willful' Sin is to be understood in scripture?

2008/12/12 11:21Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: What Exactly Is 'Willful' sin Biblically?

I agree with what Adam Clarke says about willful sin. Only God knows the heart of man, and when someone has fully rejected Christ from the heart. Peter denied the Lord and there was forgiveness and restoration for him. I heard a testimony once of a Christian that backslid, got into the occult, and even into satanism. You would think that he had gone too far, but he repented and was fully restored to fellowship with the Lord.

Mike

2008/12/12 11:33Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

I would also add this verse

Jas 4:17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

NKJV

since the verse starts with a "therefore" , it is good to read it in its context, but still i think its a good verse for this topic

2008/12/12 12:40Profile
rbanks

Re:

Heb 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

2Th 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Heb 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

Mt 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Just some thoughts!

I believe that willful sinning is being disobedient to God knowingly. I understand that Jesus came to save us from our sins. He is the only sacrifice for our sins. Faith and obedience are essential to our walk with God.

We don't really understand our owns hearts and to what level of evil that it can go to. When we are born of God then we are given a new heart and we are to put off the old man. The bible tells us not to trust in our own heart which is desperately evil. We are saved, being saved, and shall be saved by the grace of God according to out submission to Him.

It seems to me that he. 3:12 is a warning to take heed about what could still be in our hearts. We need to keep our hearts cleansed by the blood of Jesus by walking in the Light according to 1john 1:7. We are to continue to walk in the light of Christ until the end of our journey in this life. We are to deny ourselves and take up the cross daily.

I believe that willful sin could only be happening in one who is out of fellowship with God and in danger of completely departing from God. At what level a person would be considered an apostate is another study. God is long suffering with us not willing that any should perish but we know that according to the bible many will perish and that causes me to fear God with a deep reverence and my need to depend on Him.

2008/12/12 13:58Profile
Logic

Quote:
RobertW wrote:
What Exactly Is 'Willful' sin Biblically?

It is the only kind of sin to be condemed for.

[b]2Kings 5:18[/b] [color=990000]In this thing the LORD pardon your servant, that when my master goes into the house of Rimmon to worship there, and he leans on my hand, and I bow myself in the house of Rimmon: when I bow down myself in the house of Rimmon, the LORD pardon your servant in this thing.
[b]:19[/b] And he said unto him, Go in peace[/color]
Naaman was sinning, but unwillingly, his job required it.
I know this is not the best of analogies, but it is the one that came to mind.

2008/12/12 21:10Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy