SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : My memory of Dr. Tozer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Norgey

My memory of Dr. Tozer

I attended the Southwest C & MA Church in Chicago during the early '40s. At age 11 I asked to be baptized based on my profession of faith in Christ. I was required to attend a class taught by Dr. Tozer and examined by him. Idon't remember a lot about the class, but I do remember that the class was serious and in theend he said that based on my testimony, etc. I could be baptized. The baptistry was a little too big for me. I was short and only the top of my head showed when Dr. Tozer baptized me.
Dr. Tozer would often accept a ride home from church with my father, my mother, and me. He never owned a car. Yes, he visited with us, but sorry to say, I don't remember the conversations. I believe he and his family took the streetcar to church.
Several times his youngest son, Stanley, would invite to their home on Sunday for dinner. Dr. Tozer came to the table for dinner and left soon after eating. I wish I knew then what I know now and I would have asked questions and listened.
I went to their home one time after Christmas. The Tozer boys were involved in a project to collect Christmas trees. They put them in a big pile, put a dummy of Hitler on the top, and burned the trees.
If anyone is interested I could post more remembrances of Dr. Tozer and his family.

2004/7/21 12:55Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: My memory of Dr. Tozer

Quote:
I went to their home one time after Christmas. The Tozer boys were involved in a project to collect Christmas trees. They put them in a big pile, put a dummy of Hitler on the top, and burned the trees

:-) I can just see 'Dad' approving of all this somehow...

Quote:
If anyone is interested I could post more remembrances of Dr. Tozer and his family.

Please do! You could never exhaust us, I promise.
This is already lifting my spirit today, thank you Norgey.

2004/7/21 13:07Profile
Norgey

Re:

During WWII the Tozers acquired a cat, yellow or gold as I remember. A natural name for the cat would be Buttercup or something with butter. Butter, however, was rationed so they named the cat Oleo.

I'll be back with more.

2004/7/21 15:24Profile
moseh123

Re:

Sounds amazing!

Can you relate more??

By the way, where can I find a good book about the life of Dr. Tozer??

Moises

2004/12/8 15:16Profile
jwtho

Toronto, Canada

Re:

I have a book called "In pursuit of God" on the life of Tozer by James L. Snyder. Publisher is Christian Publications.
I really like it.

Josiah

2004/12/28 16:56Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy