SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sin

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Sin

No man will ever have a true conception of the biblical teaching with regard to redemption if he is not clear about the biblical doctrine of sin. And that is why so many people today are so loose and vague in their ideas of redemption. The common idea is that our Lord is a sort of friend to whom we can turn in difficulties, as if that were all. He is that -thank God for that! But that is not redemption in its entirety or even in its essence. You cannot begin to measure redemption until you realize something of what the Bible teaches us about man in sin and the whole effect of sin upon man. Or let me put it in another way. You cannot possibly understand the doctrine of the incarnation unless you understand this doctrine of sin.

The Bible tells us that man was in such a condition that it necessitated the coming of the Second Person in the blessed, holy Trinity from heaven to earth. He had to come down and take to Himself human nature and to be born as a babe. That was absolutely essential before man could be redeemed. Why? Because of sin, because of the nature of sin. Therefore, you see, you cannot understand the incarnation unless you are clear about sin. In the same way look at the cross on Calvary's hill. What is it? What does it mean? What is it telling us? What is happening there? I say again that you cannot possibly understand the death of our Lord and what He did there on the cross unless you are clear about this doctrine of sin. The utter vagueness of many people's ideas about the death of our Lord is entirely due to this. They do not like the doctrine of substitution; they do not like the doctrine of penal suffering. That is because they have never understood the problem. It is because they do not start with man in sin. These are the great cardinal doctrines of the Christian faith, and they cannot be understood except in the light of man's terrible plight in sin. - Martyn Lloyd-Jones

2008/12/10 20:22Profile
bobmutch

Re: Sin

tjservant:
>>>They do not like the doctrine of substitution; they do not like the doctrine of penal suffering. That is because they have never understood the problem.

Some people don't like the doctrine of Penal Substitution Theory because they don't think it is scriptural. Some like the Moral Governmental Theory, some like the Ransom Theory, and others like the Satisfaction Theory or Commercial Theory.

I am not so sure that it is because they don't understand the problem but I am sure it is because they don't understand the problem the same way you do.

2008/12/10 23:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy