SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Definitions of Revival

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
psalm1

Re:

Send the Fire! by William Booth (1829-1912), Founder of the Salvation Army

Thou Christ of burning, cleansing flame, Thy blood bought gift today we claim, Look down and see this waiting host, Give us the promised Holy Ghost; We want another Pentecost, Send the fire, send the fire!
God of Elijah, hear our cry: To make us fit to live or die, To burn up every trace of sin, To bring the light and glory in, The revolution now begin, Send the fire, send the fire!
’Tis fire we want, for fire we plead, The fire will meet our every need, For strength to ever do the right, For grace to conquer in the fight, For power to walk the world in white, Send the fire, send the fire!
To make our weak hearts strong and brave, To live a dying world to save, O see us on Thy altar lay Our lives, our all, this very day; To crown the offering now we pray, Send the fire, send the fire!

Here is the music to it;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4SL29QVsN0&feature=related

2008/12/7 13:00Profile
psalm1

Re:

That is exactly what I have in mind when I think of 'revival'. Verse 31 includes that statement of not only the moment but the disposition of repentance; Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall loathe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations. This passage is really a comprehensive promise of all that I mean by 'revival'.

31Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall loathe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations.

This precise pattern will help to bring revival.
It will also be the product of revival,but is not revival.

Revival is the breath of God into a body of believers.
Or you could say the fire of God like in the day of pentecost poured out on a body of believers.

2008/12/7 13:52Profile

Re:

Can our tear drenched offerings be ignited by the fires of heaven? When we have a true revelation of who we really are, and we find we are consumed by a fire of grace, we have found revival............Frank

2008/12/7 14:51
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Revival is the breath of God into a body of believers.

Surley the breath of God is in verses 26 & 27.

2008/12/7 18:01Profile
dohzman

Re: do you think?

don't you think that people who have the very nature of God alive in them will just do? I mean I think like this, we become a mirrored reflection of the nature of God, that doesn't mean we always walk in liberating truth, but the intent is there, much like Moses when he tried to set Israelites free, he did so with out the true knowledge of who God was and what God wanted, but his true nature came out in his actions, how ever wrong and misguided thoughs actions were.

Don't you think a believer can be fully alive in Christ and totally mis-understanding or mis-interpeting the direction/voice/will of God for them in thier lives? If so wouldn't true revival be a setting in order, a priority fix if you will, where all things personal become clear in His glorious light(presence).

2008/12/7 22:40Profile
dohzman

Re: dont you think

29I will also save you from all your uncleannesses

When I hear people talk about regeneration, especially in my Church of God circles, it almost borders the same doctrines one might find in the early Methodist movement, like entire sanctification, or sinless perfection, the trouble is just like RobertW stated out of Gal, having begun in the Spirit.....etc....So is there room in a revival for failure without loosing the very presence of God? And at the same time keep a move of the regenerative nature of God moving forward? I ask from a leadership point of view because I am courious(sp?) how much effect leadership really has in revival as pretains to the people in the pews?

2008/12/7 22:52Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I ask from a leadership point of view because I am courious(sp?) how much effect leadership really has in revival as pretains to the people in the pews?

I suspect that 'leadership' has been the death-knell to many a genuine move of God. :-(

2008/12/8 3:13Profile
JoanM

Re: Revival

[b]Dohzman[/b]: Just some thought regarding your question about leadership in revival: Sheep do tend to follow a shepherd, whether he leads in or out. But do not forget that there are Achans and sins that cost the whole Body. It is probably best for each to examine themselves before God, “Lord, is it I?”

I know that this response does not speak to the heart of your question and I notice your words here seem to equate regeneration and revival. So, about the heart, it would seem that individuals that have known God in revival are never the same. It becomes an individual matter of going on or grieving the Holy Spirit.

Equating regeneration with revival, it might encourage you that, Ananias and Sapphira, Demas, and Simon come to my mind as examples of failures that did not "keep a move of the regenerative nature of God from moving forward".

[b][size=xx-small][color=990000]Scripture contains many advents. Revival is one of them.[/color][/size][/b]- Christmas 2008

2008/12/8 10:46Profile

Re:

Dohzman...I truly believe that the Spirit of God can be quenched. The trouble with leadership I believe lies with pride and ego and the desire to control. These are three main elements in "dousing," the Spirit. We come to the Lord in surrendered humility. We are never dragged, kicking and screaming to Him. Often times we have to surrender all of our notions of how it should be. Then there is the emotional element in revival, a totaly scary thought to many, especially those of a more "conservative," nature.............Frank

2008/12/8 11:06
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

I think that one of the great hindrances to Revival is a misconception about the way God desires to deal with sinners and His children. The misconception stems from an almost abusive mindset that desires to see sinners judged and the Saints chastened for their sins.

Sometimes God is wanting to show mercy and others are wanting to see FIRE from heaven. Some want to see sinners falling out under extreme conviction of sin in solemn states of mind and dreadful fears of the heart. Some want the backslider to get a whipping from God.

So when God by His goodness begins to manifest Himself the people do not recognize it as being God or a move of God. They were looking for more heaviness; but God might have been looking to [u]lift[/u] someone's heaviness. Many are laboring and are heavy laden and need rest.

I have learned something by experience this year at Greenoch. God does not need to practically assault someone to bring them to brokenness and make a change in their heart. He does not need a sword in each hand. God is mighty in wisdom and power. He is able to accomplish His end as a demonstration of His love that leaves Joy and Peace as the byproduct rather than a sense of fearfulness and dread. I have lived in fear. I grew up under a 'Finney' based revivalism theology. I have never known God in the way I have known him since being in the UK and receiving a touch from God. I have a great sense of love and joy like I have never had in my life. I am truly a changed man.

2008/12/8 12:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy