SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I need some very well advised councel.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MattC

Cali.

I need some very well advised councel.

Im so confused about what to do. I smoked weed recently (three times total) i was trying to get into a spiritual realm, i was hoping for the weed to do that, it didnt.

i told my mom, she had a fit over it (which was expected, sorta) she wanted me to go to this program that i was in for 8 months and ended up leaving before my commitment was over. which i dont feel i made unto the Lord, the whole time i had wanted to go home, after my 8 months, but i was offered to stay another 4 months, i thought about it, prayed a little bit, was in a service and thought the Lord was telling me to stay for it, but i ended up leaving, pretty much right when my 8 months was over.

But now, my mom called the director of the program, and i was talking to him, and he says that i need to go back to finish my commitment, and basically that its the only way for things to work out for me, he says i need to man up and make the decision to go back.

I know i cant be smoking weed, i don't plan to anymore. But I'm confused about is it the only way for things to be right for me to go back to this program, does God have only one way for us, when were called, does he want us at a specific place, and if were not there, is that living in sin?

I wish i could just go before the Lord and have Him tell me what to do, but that doesn't seem to work, as of yet.

any counsel would be well appreciated.

and he said soemthing very strange, at least i took it that way, he said i want to see you in heaven, like im on my way to hell.

2008/12/3 13:37Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: I need some very well advised councel.

Matt,

I am still young, so please seek the counsel of other godly, older men. But...

I'm assuming you are still living under the authority of your parents? If so, the Lord has already told you what to do (in the 5th commandment) - it is really their decision if you go or not - regardless of whatever feelings you may have. If you are not living under their authority, Proverbs says that the wise man will do what is good for his soul. What decision will be best for you - eternally?

One of the things that brought more stability and encouragement to my life was understanding that the Lord speaks to us through the Bible. Not our feelings.

I would advise to strongly meditate and believe on the gospel, sin, atonement, propitiation, and all other concepts revolving around the cross of Christ. Understanding the gospel in a saving way will be the only way to be free from the bondage of sin. Many may speak of more "mystical" methods of sanctification, however, sanctification is not as easy as they suppose. Daily (perhaps small-steps) of meditating on the gospel of Christ will be well for your soul.

Grace to you,
Taylor

2008/12/3 13:42Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

MattC,

Quote:
I know i cant be smoking weed, i don't plan to anymore.

Matt, you didn't plan to smoke on smoking weed when you left your program early though did ya? And yet it happened, so don't say, "I don't plan on doing it anymore." Because chances are, it will happen again.

Let me ask you this... If you really thought the Lord was telling you to stay, why did you leave? This is what amazes me (about me) and other people... when we KNOW that God is telling us to do something, we lean on our own understanding and defy the Lord and do the exact opposite of what He says! It gets us into trouble every time!!!

I like what Taylor said, "The wise man will do what is good for his soul." and "The Lord has already told you what to do."

Then do it.

PS: Stay far away from your old friends, do not return their phone calls, you owe them nothing ...they will always take you where you have always gone.

2008/12/3 14:43Profile
LoveGodsWay2

Ohio, USA

MattC,

Remember, you must always do things God's way (Isa 55:7-9). Smoking weed isn't the way to encounter God. You may experience something spiritual, but it will be fake, evil, & ungodly (Ex. 30:9).

Based on what you said, I think this program is a Christian one. I would encourage you to go. But before you are finished with it, you to know God's direction for your life (Romans 12:1-2, Eph. 2:10).

Where does God want you to live?
Where does God want you to go to church?
What does God want you to do for a living?
What kind of ministry does God want you to be involved with?
Who is going to be your mentor when you are done?

I would go and get to know God and His voice better.

LoveGodsWay2

2008/12/3 16:28Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I wish i could just go before the Lord and have Him tell me what to do, but that doesn't seem to work, as of yet.

Is this question essentially whether you should honor your mother's wishes or not?

I'm not sure how old you are, but if your mother would like you to finish, then the Lord doesn't really need to talk to you directly. He has already asked you to honor your mother and father, and what she is asking is worth honoring.

And really, how unpleasant can the program be?

By now you have figured out that using drugs to alter your consciousness is a door that leads to trouble, not to God.

(edit: Good job on getting counsel before your next move.)

Blessings,

MC

2008/12/3 17:41Profile
MattC

Cali.

Re:

I am under the authority of my mother, she would like me to go back, but she ultimatly left it up to me to decide, and i decided no. but i do see how it could help. the envirnment would be great for me, living with other brothers going through the same things. hm.

2008/12/3 20:55Profile
JoanM

Re: Let me see if I’ve got this straight.

MattC: [i]Im so confused about what to do. I smoked weed recently (three times total) i was trying to get into a spiritual realm, i was hoping for the weed to do that, it didnt.[/i]

[b][size=x-small]ARE YOU KIDDING ME[/size][/b]

MattC: [i]I wish i could just go before the Lord and have Him tell me what to do, but that doesn't seem to work, as of yet.[/i]

[b][size=x-small]AS OF YET? AS OF YET![/size][/b]

MattC: [i]any counsel would be well appreciated....and i decided no.

and he said soemthing very strange, at least i took it that way, he said i want to see you in heaven, like im on my way to hell.[/i]

Did you ask this person what he meant?

2008/12/4 0:24Profile

Quote:

MattC wrote:
I smoked weed...

...she wanted me to go to this program... that i ended ...my commitment was over... i dont feel i made unto the Lord, the whole time i had wanted to go home ...

...I know i cant be smoking weed, i don't plan to anymore...

...I'm confused...does God have only one way for us...does he want us at a specific place, and if were not there, is that living in sin?

MattC my friend...

Oh, how much of this post will I utterly shiver to as I respond.

Matt, be honest. Do you truly want to stop smoking weed?

I believe that is the first question that should be addressed here. Do not get me wrong, because I am sure that you 'feel' bad (guilty) before, after, and possibly during the whole 'ritual', but are you whole hearted towards QUITING?

Just so you do not feel insulted or upset about what I am asking, know that I smoked weed for 20 years. I started smoking weed when I was 9 years old and finally quit within the last couple of years. Many times through my experience I said that "I will quit" and/or actually attempted to quit for some period of time. Although, it was not until I recognized that I liked the ritual and only then was I able to begin to be set free from the cycle.

However, my liking something and that same something being good for me are two totally different things. After becoming a Christian (I guess a debate could arise over this), I insisted that I would 'never' quit smoking weed because God made all the grass including marijuana, much like I insisted that I would never stop drinking because it does not tell us either way in the Bible.

My way of thinking and the questions I asked were always calculated to assure that what I truly wanted would never be hindered. When God first spoke to me, I was utterly confused and felt lonely and more insecure because I felt that I was left in the dark. Thus, I used more drugs of varying types, thinking that God must not mind because He was not speaking to me directly.

Eventually, I was 'locked-up' for a couple of months as I tried to mix drugs and God with the world. Evidentially, the world thought I was crazy and I was forced to enter a program. At first I fought tooth and nail to be freed and also tried to get more drugs while I was admitted, but eventually, I relaxed to the notion that it might be beneficial.

To be honest, I did not quit because of the program, but the program gave me much needed seperation from 'friends' and 'family', who undoubtably had a negative influence in my life. Even though I made all of my own decisions, bad influences exist and seperation is essential.

To this day, I do not smoke weed, cigarettes, or drink alcohol. I say this to let you know that if you truly want to quit, God will help you. But until you realize your true need in life, your wants will control you. It will not matter how many programs your parents enter you into or how many times they tell you to stop or show their disapproval. You will always do what you want.

God needs (this too could be debated on whether or not He 'needs' us, but you get my point) workers. God needs those that will do His will. We need to set aside ourselves for the sake of His kingdom and those souls which are desperately in need of truth.

I had to seperate myself from all of my friends and move to another country before I was able to realize how selfish and greedy I truly am.

Just a thought... now a days you see many people go camping with expensive tents, sleeping bags, burners, clothing and stacks of food and then claim that they are roughing it in the wilderness. My suggestion is to follow God with nothing other than your Bible and faith. He will give you everything you need along the way, so do not contemplate what to bring with you, or what is good and bad. Let it go and He will give it back to you if it is worth keeping.

If you do not do what others suggest, it comes back to my original question: Do you truly want to stop smoking weed?...be honest.

Blessings with hope,
Brian

2008/12/4 4:24
Koheleth

NC

Hi Matt!

Thanks for posting. I know some of what you are going through, not that I struggle with smoking pot now, but it was a pretty long struggle at the time.

In regards to this whole issue, I don't think any one of us should forget that "the spirit lusts against the flesh and the flesh against the spirit, so that you may not do the things that you please [want to]".

Not knowing you, Matt, I will just make some comments about myself and several others I know who have had a battle with pot and following Christ. Some were successful and some not. Because of the above verse, there is almost definitely a part of you that wants to stop smoking weed altogether. There is also another part of you that doesn't, but really wants to get high again. Romans 7 might apply here.

First, I do believe that God is really guiding your life through your mother. However, I am not big on programs. So, application one, I am going to guess your mother's main goal is to see you stop smoking pot, however that happens. I am guessing that her primary goal is not this program, but the results she is hoping for. Application two, with or without the program, you need a deeper encounter with God. One like you are going to have on the brightness of the last day. You need to sit before the Lord and ask yourself if you are going to smoke pot when the judgment books are opened. You need to ask yourself if you want to smoke pot for all eternity. I am not trying to give you a hard time, so please don't misunderstand me. Jesus said no man can serve two master, so it really comes down to getting a sense of which master your heart is really with.

And my heart goes out to you, brother. I understand these types of struggles, and the Lord understands also, because "he was tempted in every way as we are, yet without sin." However, in the end there is still a choice. If anyone smells more of marijuana weed than the aroma of Christ, Jesus seems to indicate there will be no entrance into the kingdom of glory.

Finally, the best thing you can do in your relationship with God is to cultivate what God has to fill your life. If God is just "stop smoking pot", that is so lame that no Christian would be interested. Jesus has something that is so captivating you will never want to get high again because you might miss it. God can transform your life into something that he can use in amazing ways. Lots of testimonies about this. Look to the light of Christ to light your pathway in this, brother. All the best.

2008/12/4 7:00Profile
MattC

Cali.

Re:

Alright, i had much counsel, i know the Lord wants me to go back into an envirornment away from the world, back to the program i was talking about (U-Turn for Christ).

Im off tom. morning. =/ im nervous and scared for going back, hm but i know the Lord has good plans for me, as for us all.

What a glorious time it will be when we are all together in eternity, until then. God bless.

2008/12/5 2:43Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy