SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Jesus Wept

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Jesus Wept

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are regarding the passage in John 11 where it says that Jesus wept. Obviously, the context is surrounding the death of Lazarus, but what do these two simple words reveal to us about our Savior? I have some initial thoughts, but am curious what everyone else thinks. I also want to meditate on this for a bit.

2008/12/2 12:00Profile

Re: Jesus Wept

"Jesus Wept"... shortest verse, and yet so profound. My dear dad died a few months ago, and I have shed quite a few tears (although I'm sure he's rejoicing in heaven even as I type this!) However this verse, in the context of Jesus being moved to tears at seeing the pain of the grief~stricken Mary and Martha, shows He understands the grief we all go through at sometime in our lives, because of the reality of sin. Put simply, Jesus: a Man acquainted with grief, who has borne all our sorrows, as it states in Isaiah 53. He has compassion on us when we lose a dear family member and friend. I know I have felt His strength in His love and compassion these last few months, and I pray that all those, on this site, who are suffering with grief will feel the comforting, enveloping presence of God's Holy Spirit to carry them through. In Jesus' wonderful name, Amen.
Luke 7:12-13: "Now when he came nigh to the gate of the city, behold, there was a dead man carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow: and much people of the city was with her. And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not."

2008/12/16 19:09
andres

texas,brownsville

Re:

B.B. Warfield makes the case that Jesus weeping came from a just anger over what sin has caused in God's Good creation. When you read the passages you come across words like Jesus groaned and was troubled. BB says that there was an angrer in Jesus and it came out through his tears. Someone said The graves are footprints of a Satan. Death was not a creation of God.
The article was the called the Emotions of Jesus (or something like that)
love
andy

2008/12/16 20:47Profile
poet

Longview WA

Re:

My thoughts,
since Jesus already knew the outcome... the raising of Lazarus,
If you knew you were about to do a great miracle by raising someone from the dead you wouldnt be weeping, you might actually be quite excited.
But knowing the doubt and sorrow of those around you could possibly get you worked up to emotion.
doubting a miracle was going to take place.
doubting the power of God to raise the dead.
But I have prayed over people and the power of the Holy Spirit overwhelms me and I weep also.
Just thoughts, anyway/

2008/12/16 22:14Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

I have thought about this particular passage this last week quite often, a perfect example of the hypostatic union; fully God, fully man.

Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.

When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled. And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. Jesus wept.

BEAUTIFUL.
Joe

2008/12/16 22:23Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Jesus Wept

There are times when words will not do to express
the depths of our sorrows---so, Jesus wept!

2008/12/17 8:28Profile
imustdie

Stoke on Trent UK

Re:

Are we not told to rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep. We are to be concerned about those around us and not uncaring, Jesus was obviously mooved with compassion about the remorse and suffering of his friend. Don,t you act the same, even if you don,t even know the person who died or maybee even the person suffering. Yet it is also not just emotion or just natural. Does not your spirit within you groan and feel as though it is been torn out of you, reaching out to meet the need. I know mine does, and I pray you are the same. Our Lord was and is the most loving and commpasionate Person ever to walk this earth, and He had The Holy Spirit in all His fullness, no wonder He wept, it must have cut keenly, both man and God.

2008/12/17 13:51Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy