SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sabbath day

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Blazed... I love ya man, we both know that.

Here's my take on the Sabbath. In principle the Sabbath is something that we should all strive to observe. One day a week where we rest from our work and honor God. I have no problem with that. If we work 7 days a week we'll burn out. Even secular medical experts agree on that. And what a blessing it is to have one day where we do take a break, and spend that day resting and honoring God. (of course we should honor God everyday in everything we do!)

But some get hung up on the day... like SDA's. There are plenty of other things wrong doctrinally with the SDA's, but this is a big one.

Paul made it clear that one man honors one day, another man honors another... and yet someone else may honor everyday as the Sabbath. The day is not important. If someone's work schedule is such that Tuesdays are his free day... then Tuesday it is.

But being fleshly as we are we want to make rules about which day, what time, what you can do on it... it's just like the Pharisees. No difference.

Krispy

2008/12/2 8:26
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

I would have to agree with Krispy on this one. You have to keep in mind the principal of the Sabbath. If it has to be Tuesday, then so be it. God does know the hearts and minds of all men.

2008/12/2 11:13Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Blazed... I love ya man, we both know that.

Here's my take on the Sabbath. In principle the Sabbath is something that we should all strive to observe. One day a week where we rest from our work and honor God. I have no problem with that. If we work 7 days a week we'll burn out. Even secular medical experts agree on that. And what a blessing it is to have one day where we do take a break, and spend that day resting and honoring God. (of course we should honor God everyday in everything we do!)

But some get hung up on the day... like SDA's. There are plenty of other things wrong doctrinally with the SDA's, but this is a big one.

Paul made it clear that one man honors one day, another man honors another... and yet someone else may honor everyday as the Sabbath. The day is not important. If someone's work schedule is such that Tuesdays are his free day... then Tuesday it is.

But being fleshly as we are we want to make rules about which day, what time, what you can do on it... it's just like the Pharisees. No difference.

Krispy

Krispy, the thing is, Rom 14:5 when Paul is talking about how one man esteems one day and another man another day, the thing is, he is talking about just that-days that MEN esteem. But the sabbath is not a day that man has esteemed, it is the day that God himself esteemed-and there is a difference.

Paul in Rom 14:5 is talking about things like, if I want to fast today I can, but if you want to fast tomorrow unto the Lord-you can-and the Lord will receive both. Howerver, Paul himself, is not talking about sabbath-the sabbath has nothing to do with his discourse in Rom 14. Let me give you a better example. I am going to post some verses and you tell me who is esteeming the day in these verses: God or man:

Genesis 2:1-Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 [b]And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it[/b]: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Is that man esteeming the seventh day, or God?

Ex 20:10 - [b]But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God[/b]: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 - For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, [b]and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it[/b].

Is this man esteeming the seventh day, or God. Who blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it-God or man?

Exodus 31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel FOR EVER: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, [b]and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed[/b].

Is this man esteemning the seventh day as the day or rest, or God?

Exodus 35:2 Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you [b]an holy day, a sabbath of rest TO THE LORD[/b]: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.

Did the children of Israel choose the sabbath as the holy day, or did God choose that day?

Are SDA a cult and full of false doctrine, yes of course, but I am not SDA and do not hold to SDA'ism. They believe in sabbath, and so do I because it is in the Scripture.

Jesus Christ is my Lord-and my Lord said he is "Lord also of the sabbath DAY"

2008/12/2 12:35Profile

Re:

Doesn't scripture teach that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath? When you say Christians should observe the Sabbath, and observe it on Saturday, you are in essence saying that man was made for the Sabbath... the exact opposite of what Jesus taught.

The Sabbath was made to serve man, not be a master.

Krispy

2008/12/2 14:24
BlazedbyGod

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Doesn't scripture teach that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath? When you say Christians should observe the Sabbath, and observe it on Saturday, you are in essence saying that man was made for the Sabbath... the exact opposite of what Jesus taught.

The Sabbath was made to serve man, not be a master.

Krispy

Krispy, I am not, and in no way saying that man was made for the sabbath. The sabbath was made for man, and man was made for God.

God gave the sabbath to his people as a blessing, not some sort of burden that people always refer to it as:

Exodus 16:29 See , for that the LORD [b]hath GIVEN you the sabbath[/b], therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.

Exodus 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said , To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath UNTO the LORD

The sabbath was made for man, because God gave it to man as a blessing of his rest and finish work of his glorious creation. The sabbath was made FOR man, but it is holy UNTO God (not man)

Paul was a christian, a truest one in the fullest extent........and he observed the sabbath, as well as all the christian church of scripture.

2008/12/2 14:56Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

BlazedbyGod wrote:

Quote:

Paul was a christian, a truest one in the fullest extent........and he observed the sabbath, as well as all the christian church of scripture.

[u][b]Luke 6:1-5 (NKJV)[/b][/u]

Now it happened on the second Sabbath after the first that He went through the grainfields. [b]And His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate them, rubbing them in their hands. And some of the Pharisees said to them, “Why are you doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath?”[/b] But Jesus answering them said, “Have you not even read this, what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: how he went into the house of God, took and ate the showbread, and also gave some to those with him, which is not lawful for any but the priests to eat?” And He said to them, “The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

Looks like your statement is not accurate, unless of course you try to make the arguement that His disciples are not considered Christians...

2008/12/2 15:37Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Concerning: "Paul was a christian, a truest one in the fullest extent........and he observed the sabbath, as well as all the christian church of scripture."

Paul himself said 1Cor:9:22: . . . . I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

It is uncertain why this discussion is still continuing when the subject was clearly answered by Old Joe on the other Sabbath thread. So much dispute over this can prove discouraging to the guests viewing the forum (as this post is typed there are 36 guests). It could be they are searching for communion with other believers.

Please try and come together and move forward onto the target we all strive towards - Eternity with our Lord Jesus.

humbly, white stone

2008/12/2 15:42Profile

Re:

My contention is not that we shouldn't observe the Sabbath. My contention is when people turn it into a law, and judge other believers by the law. (I'm not saying thats what you are doing) My contention is when people say that observing it on Saturday is a mandate, or even Sunday for that matter.

We are saved by grace, not by keeping the Sabbath. I know you believe this, but there are those who will questions someone's salvation if they dont observe the Sabbath the exact same way as they do.

Also... ever notice how Sunday is usually ANYTHING but a day of rest for most Christians? Especially for families... families with lots of kids. Before we walked away from the so-called "traditional church" we found Sunday to be the most stressful day of the week. Get the kids up, get them ready, late for Sunday School... get back home, finally get dinner on the table around 2pm, get the dishes finished around 3:30... plop down on the couch for an hour before ya gotta get supper ready (usually leftovers)... run out the door for church again... get home around 9pm and at that point it's past the kid's bedtimes.

Not restful.

One of the many reasons we walked away.

Krispy

2008/12/2 15:45

Re:

Quote:
Please try and come together and move forward onto the target we all strive towards - Eternity with our Lord Jesus.

Blaze and I are brothers and friends in the Lord. There is absolutely no animosity between us... We're simply discussing this.

Relax. :-)

Krispy

2008/12/2 15:47

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy