SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : An OUTPOURING In Greenock and the Beginnings of Renewal

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

I learned something about revival this last week that reinforced a truth I have known in part for some time. The key to revival is God speaking the [i]Word of His grace[/i] and the people receiving that Word with a gladness and readiness of mind.

[color=000066]And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. (Acts 2:40-42)[/color]

This is a common pattern in Acts (See also Acts 8:14, 11:1, and 17:11). Men simply do not know what God's people need. Their finite minds and vain tempers fail miserably at plotting a course for which men ought to walk in. [i]But thine eyes shall see thy teachers: And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it...[/i](Isaiah 30). That 'word' is the word of HIS grace (Acts 20:32).

We need, as the Holy Spirit was saying to us at Greenock, the Word of [u]His[/u] grace. We needed God to speak. We needed ears to hear. We needed a readiness of mind to respond to what God was saying. We needed to discern what was God and what was men and navigate through the multitude of words and opinions; distilling from them the pure Word of [u]His[/u] grace.

The theology of revival can be summarized in one verse, [i]my sheep hear my voice and they follow me...[/i] (John 10:27). Many presume and some pretend to be the Oracle of God. Others seek the words of God as a man in the morning stirs among the coals of a fire burned out from the night before. Yet they find only the remembrance of a Flame that once was. Yea, though they stir among the ashes they find no live coals to press upon their lips in our times; only blackened cold charred embers. So with blackened lips and tongue they suppose to be sent and go for Him on the residue and calling of another time and to another people.

But for God, we had only such an unction and the accompanying words of death that proceed with it. Yet He saw fit to speak in the midst of the Congregation the words of life that we might receive an inheritance among the sanctified. We are only ever a 'fresh Word from God' away from a move of God.

2008/12/1 2:19Profile

Re:

Dear brother Robert shares more eloquently than I ever could.

One of the many lessons for me from Greenock is the fact that this was the beginning. The unifying and galvanizing that we ultimately saw in Greenock is God's vision for the Body of Christ. To stand in "one accord,' oh yes, how the Lord longs to pour out His Spirit on that kind of movement. And so one can seek the river that flows from the throne above, the unity that flows like oil down the beard, or, as brother Roberts puts it..............

"they stir among the ashes they find no live coals to press upon their lips in our times; only blackened cold charred embers. So with blackened lips and tongue they suppose to be sent and go for Him on the residue and calling of another time and to another people."

Did we have blackened tongues in Greenock? Yes. Did God pour out His grace upon a yielded people?Yes, oh yes. And so, since my God is a vast God, I would ask my Lord this day "Lord let Greenock be merely the start. Let good Christian men, the best of the Pentecostals, the best of the Baptists, the best of the Methodists, the best of the Evangelicals and all others, come together to fight our common enemy. Not for unities sake, like the mistaken notion of the Ecumenical, but for Christ's sake, for the sake of Love, for the sake of a dying world that grows ever darker even as that great light draws ever nearer, our Lord Himself. He is coming brothers and sisters, He is coming. Will we be able to say, "you will know us Lord by our Love for one another and our love for the world?"

The time is right for brothers and sisters to step forward and stand together........Frank

2008/12/3 17:35
HeartSong

Re:

We must remember that it is the differences that make us strong. It is not just a matter of accepting our differences, but it is essential that we actually value the differences of one another. While one is equipped to fight on the beach, another is equipped to fight in the mountains. While one is equipped to fight to the east, another is equipped to fight to the west. One in the night - another in the day.

If we allow the Lord to lead, we will be in the right place at the right time. If we are looking to Him, and not at one another, or ourselves, we will be effective in where He has placed us.

In this way all fronts will be covered for we are in battle that is being waged simultaneously on many levels and in many places.

2008/12/3 18:58Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I really sensed that we became one body of believers, I found amazing that people that you have talked to you can finally put faces to.
My only regret is not having longer to see if there was any other people on the sermonindex forum I did not meet.
I found the prayer meetings a source of encouragement to see preachers praying, I was defiantly blessed by Brother Denny's prayers and to see Ron Bailey pray!
It was also a real sense of the fear of the Lord. Richard and me were getting convicted, to me I do not want to lose that conviction,
It was Brothers dennys honesty in the first sermon on the start of the week that set the ball rolling.
I think I broke during David Leggs sermon, I think everyone did, he was shaking during the whole way through his sermon and I could not help but cry when he was talking about the Kinsman Redeemer.
Then Carter Conlon broke something in his sermon,
to me that was when the breakthrough happened.
Singing songs at the end! I think a scottish brother was beside me!
Then Keith Daniels sermon one convicting passage after a while it felt like a pin could drop in the service.I think I felt like hell was opneing up under me!
My question was, what next? how do I apply what I have heard to my own life? and how?
I enjoyed the singing in the foyer with some brothers and sisters.
The street preaching just outside the mall!
Dinner in Subway!
I was worried about Greg and the other guys how and if they would get attacked straight afterwards, the person that i came with almost crashed her car and had to be pulled out of a bog by the police and then witnessed to the policemen.
It is not over but this is just a beginning to a joyous week, there was so many aspects that I have to be thankful to god for!
Dom

2008/12/3 19:32Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:

RobertW wrote:

Yea, though they stir among the ashes they find no live coals to press upon their lips in our times; only blackened cold charred embers. So with blackened lips and tongue they suppose to be sent and go for Him on the residue and calling of another time and to another people.

This broke me.

My soul is weary of my life for the lack of this!

Oh, Lord! ...For that live Coal from off the altar! To make our tongues ALIVE with the word of Your grace!

Oh, the words these days! Words, words, words... We are choking in a sea of words.

Yet where is that Living Word of His Grace, that proceedeth (present tense) out of the mouth of GOD?

Oh, Lord, for that living Coal...

AD

2008/12/3 21:39Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
My question was, what next? how do I apply what I have heard to my own life? and how?

The question that accompanies God's visitations is quite consistent:

[color=000066]
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, [u]what shall we do?[/u] (Acts 2:37)

And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, [u]what wilt thou have me to do?[/u] And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do. (Acts 9:6)

He lodgeth with one Simon a tanner, whose house is by the sea side: he shall tell thee [u]what thou oughtest to do.[/u] (Acts 10:6)

And brought them out, and said, Sirs, [u]what must I do[/u] to be saved? (Acts 16:30)

And I said, [u]What shall I do, Lord?[/u] And the Lord said unto me, Arise, and go into Damascus; and there it shall be told thee of all things which are appointed for thee to do. (Acts 22)

[/color][color=000066]Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, [u]that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance. [/u] Acts 26)[/color]

In each case there is a readiness of mind to hear what the LORD would say for the individual or people to do. Questions solicit instruction. This is a characteristic of one that has been touched by God. Their disposition towards God is changed. Rebellion is replaced with, "what is thy bidding my LORD?"

Once we recognize the absolute authority of Christ in our lives we are suited to be servants. We leave off resisting the Holy Ghost and earnestly seek to hear from the Lord the word of His grace towards us. "It shall be told thee..." is a promise from God, I believe.

It is the ones that have been baptized into Christ, partakers of the divine nature through New Birth, that are readied to get about the Master's business. God is intent on making full use of the giftings that He has placed in their lives for the perfecting of the Saints, the work of the ministry and the edifying of the Body of Christ.

So the underlying question in our hearts in times of refreshing is always... "LORD, what then must I do?" If we will earnestly seek Him, we can rest assured that as we go on our way, "It shall be told thee." The pattern is simple:

[color=000066] Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3:5, 6)[/color]

If we will, [i]Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him,[/i] God will be faithful to fulfill His end of the process; [i]and he [u]shall[/u] direct thy paths.[/i]

2008/12/4 5:29Profile

Re:

"My soul is weary of my life for the lack of this!"

The Lord is standing at the door of His church and knocking. Shall we clear away all the clutter and distractions of life and open up the door? Shall we come to the bloody alter, not seeking, but bringing gifts that are meet for this place? Gifts of unholiness, gifts of unforgiveness, gifts of a critical spirit, gifts of pride, gifts of ego, gifts of partisanship?

Shall we offer all of these things and more? Shall we lay down our lives in surrender? Only then can we pass by the alter and move on into His presence, able to stand naked in the light of His gaze. And even then we will fall to our face and tremble in the mighty presence of our vast God. And even although we tremble, there is no other place we would rather be as the grace of God flows from the throne and like fire, burns into our spirits and we are changed and ruined for this world.

All the things of this world, everything we get pleasure from, will go strangely dim. We will come away from that place, always longing to return, and full of the love of the almighty God. This love will manifest itself in love for our brothers and sisters in Christ and for the world at large. We will rarely take offence, we will see the bigger picture, we will see our part in it. Sin will become repugnant, for we know that the Spirit within us will be quenched. It will be all for Christ and we will only venture into the world for needs must. This walk is available to all the saints. How badly do you want it? How much do you seek after Him? How much are you willing to surrender? Each saint has exactly how much He wants of God.

Heartsong is exactly correct. There are many different parts to the body of Christ. The mistake we make, and was made and corrected in Greenock, is that one part has no need for the other part. Parts of the people at Greenock have zealously guarded the Word of God all of their Christian lives, praise God for them. Parts of the people at Greenock have zealously guarded holiness all of their Christian lives, praise God for them. Parts of the people at Greenock have zealously guarded genuine heaven kissed intimate worship, praise God for them. All of these parts were somewhat suspicious of each other, and who could blame them in this ever increasing godless world? Satan had skillfully taken advatage of people's suspicion, but at Greenock, there was a breakthrough.

Satans's scheme was ultimately foiled and that is why there was such a fierce battle in the spiritual realm and that is why the prayer sessions, I believe, was so important. And all the saints here in North America praying was vital, and those precious blind African children praying for us atop a hill in one of the poorest countries in Africa. Oh how we were a priveledged people to be bathed in that much prayer and fasting.

Now is the time for all of these parts to come together. Now is the time to gather together and foil the schemes of the enemy. A good Bapticostal pastor has contacted me with interest in having a weeklong meeting along these lines. So brothers and sisters, I believe that is what is next. Give up this world and take serious the things of God. Yes work for food on the table, but let our lives be consecrated unto Him. Its everything or its some level of compromise? Whats it going to be?.............Frank

2008/12/4 9:31

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy