SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What are you reading?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
TrueWitness

Re:

I am currently reading the autobiography of George Müller, a 19th century saint who founded orphanages in Britain. The title of his autobiography is "The Life of Trust" and is in the public domain (is free) and can be found easily with an internet search. I suggest getting a PDF document. Reading about his life causes me to be humbled (because his life was truly humble) and fills me with hope and faith (because God demonstrated His faithfulness and goodness powerfully to George and the orphans). Time after time when George did not know where funds would come from to supply their needs, God supplied the need, and not one moment too soon I might add. It is a refreshing read during this time of economic uncertainty and is at odds with the current trend of prosperity teaching and believer-centric teaching. I highly recommend this to all believers. Here is a crucial paragraph that explains why George wanted to open an orphanage:

It may be well to enter somewhat minutely upon the reasons which led me to establish an orphan house. Through my pastoral labors, through my correspondence, and through brethren who visited Bristol, I had constantly cases brought before me, which proved that one of the especial things which the children of God needed in our day, was, to have their faith strengthened. I might visit a brother who worked fourteen or even sixteen hours a day at his trade, the necessary result of which was, that not only his body suffered, but his soul was lean, and he had no enjoyment in God. I might point out to him that he ought to work less, in order that his bodily health might not suffer, and that he might gather strength for his inner man, by reading the word of God, by meditation over it, and by prayer. The reply, however, I generally found to be something like this: "But if I work less, I do not earn enough for the support of my family. Even now, whilst I work so much, I have scarcely enough." There was no trust in God, no real belief in the truth of that word, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." I might reply something like this: "My dear brother, it is not your work which supports your family, but the Lord; and he who has fed you and your family when you could not work at all, on account of illness, would surely provide for you and yours; if, for the sake of obtaining food for your inner man, you were to work only for so many hours a day as would allow you proper time for retirement. And is it not the case now that you begin the work of the day after having had only a few hurried moments for prayer; and when you leave off your work in the evening, and mean then to read a little of the word of God, are you not too much worn out in body and mind to enjoy it, and do you not often fall asleep whilst reading the Scriptures, or whilst on your knees in prayer?" The brother would allow it was so; he would allow that my advice was good; but still I read in his countenance, even if he should not have actually said so, "How should I get on, if I were to carry out your advice?" I longed, therefore, to have something to point the brother to, as a visible proof that our God and Father is the same faithful God that he ever was,--as willing as ever to PROVE himself the LIVING GOD, in our day as formerly, to all who put their trust in him.

If you are interested in downloading this gem, here is the link:

http://manybooks.net/titles/mullerg2728827288-8.html

2008/11/27 13:30Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

I am working through the following(I have a bad habit of starting books and not finishing them).

-The Returning King by Vern Poythress
-Practical Religion by J.C. Ryle
-The Cross and Christian Ministry by D.A. Carson
-Christless Christianity by Michael Horton
-Total Church by Tim Chester and Steve Timmis
-Preaching to a Post-Everything World by Zack Eswine
-Jesus-Made in America by Stephen Nichols
-The Cross Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney
-The Apostolic Preaching of The Cross by Leon Morris
-The Institutes by John Calvin

2008/11/27 14:09Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

La Santa Biblia (I'm studying Spanish)

Conformed to His Image By Oswald Chambers

2008/11/27 15:50Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

I'm currently reading Finney's Autobiography.

Since Oc. 27, I have read 18 books. Some would include:

"A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens

"Wesley Gold" and "Spurgeon Gold" compiled by Ray Comfort

"The Myth of a Christian Nation" by Gregory A. Boyd

"The Bravehearted Gospel" by Eric Ludy

"Prolife Answers to Prochoice Arguments" by Randy Alcorn

"Pandita Ramabai" by Basil Miller

"Why We're Not Emergent By Two Guys Who Should Be" by Ted Kluck and Kevin Deyoung

2008/11/27 19:46Profile
alan4jc

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

I just finished Greg Laurie's autobiography, "Lost Boy."

Also I am reading "The Saving Life Of Christ" Major Ian Thomas

2008/11/27 21:04Profile
loveyouall

India

Re:

The Holy Bible.

2008/11/27 23:13Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

As suggested to me by SI's very own Paul West, I am almost finished with The Normal Christian Life. It has been very encouraging and exciting to read!

I am also reading a short book regarding the training of children. My wife and I are trying to train our daughter in obedience, so it has been helpful and practical.

I am also almost finished with Pour Your Heart into It by Howard Schultz, the CEO of Starbucks. Since I work for Starbucks, it only seemed fitting that I read about where our company started.

I'm thinking about reading some A W Pink once I'm finished with TNCL. We'll see what happens. I graduate from school in about a month and I anticipate having more time to read!

My next date night with my wife is to go to Barnes and Noble and read! We are very excited since it is something neither of us get to do as much as we'd like!

2008/11/28 20:37Profile
Abe_Juliot

Southern California

Re:

Hey, how have you been friend and brother?

Blessings to you in Christ. -Abraham

Such a friend

(Thomas Brooks, "Apples of Gold" 1660)

"There is a friend who sticks closer than
a brother." Proverbs 18:24

Such a friend is Jesus. He is so a friend
to every one of His people, as if He were
a friend to none besides. Jesus is . . .
an omnipotent friend;
an omniscient friend;
an omnipresent friend;
an indeficient friend;
a sovereign friend;
an immutable friend;
a watchful friend;
a loving friend;
a faithful friend;
a compassionate friend;
a close friend,
a universal friend—a friend in
all cases and in all places,
our first friend,
a constant friend—"Whom He loves,
He loves to the end." John 13:1

2008/11/28 21:07Profile
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Re: What are you reading?

[b]The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter[/b]. Even though this book isn't particularly thick it was dense. I would recommend this book to every pastor and minister. It actually took me the majority of this last month to finish it.

Here is an excerpt from the "introduction to The Reformed Pastor" written by J.I. Packer:

"From those days to ours [i]The Reformed Pastor[/i] has held its place as a classic. On 19 August 1810, Francis Asbury, the Methodist apostle of America, wrote in his diary: ‘O what a prize: Baxter's [i]Reformed Pastor[/i] fell into my hands this morning.' John Angell James, minister of Carr's Lane, Birmingham, and author of [i]An Earnest Ministry the Want of the Times[/i] (what a Baxterish sentiment!), wrote in 1859, a few hours before he died: ‘I have made, next to the Bible, Baxter's [i]Reformed Pastor[/i] my rule as regards the object of my ministry. It were well if that volume were often read by all our pastors.' James himself often read it on Saturday evenings, to prepare himself for Sunday, and Spurgeon used frequently to have his wife read it to him on Sunday evenings, when the day's preaching was done."

"Has Baxter's book a ministry to ministers today? Three qualities which mark it justify the answer 'yes'.
1. The first is its energy. What has been said of Luther's [i]Bondage of the Will[/i] can also be said of [i]The Reformed Pastor[/i]: its words have hands and feet. Sylvester says that Baxter had a piercing eye; certainly he had piercing words. He wrote as he spoke, and his words were not emotional, since they came from the head, but passionate, for they came from the heart as well as the head. His book blazes with white-hot zeal, evangelistic fervour, and eagerness to convince. 'Richard Baxter is the most forceful of writers,' said Spurgeon; 'if you want to know the art of pleading, read . . . his [i]Reformed Pastor[/i].' As [i]The Saints' Everlasting Rest[/i] is the supreme transcript of Baxter's heart as a Christian, so The [i]Reformed Pastor[/i] is the supreme transcript of his heart as a minister. And what comes from Baxter's passionate heart has energy and evocative power, and can still go to the heart across a three-centuries gap."

During this past month I have also begun the following series of books:
1) [url=Studies in the Sermon on the Mount by Oswald Chambers]Studies in the Sermon on the Mount[/url] by Oswald Chambers
2) [url=http://www.banneroftruth.org/pages/item_detail_index.php]Sermons on the Beatitudes[/url] by John Calvin
3) [url=http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=0036&kw=0036&event=PPCSRC&p=1010575&cm_mmc=Idearc-_-osmx-_-Academic-_-0036]Studies in the Sermon on the Mount[/url] by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
4) [url=http://www.banneroftruth.org/pages/bookreview/old_evangelicalism.php]The Old Evangelicalism: Old Truths For A New Awakening[/url] by Iain H. Murray

2008/11/28 23:08Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: What are you reading?

For God's Sake, Grow Up by David Ravenhill.

2008/12/1 12:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy