Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : marriage: how old is too old

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Ruthiepoothie

Denton, Tx

marriage: how old is too old

Question: What is the opinion about a very Godly 59 yr old missionary man being interested in a 33 yr old Godly woman?

2008/11/25 17:42Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re: marriage: how old is too old

i have a problem with the 59 year old being "very Godly" and the other being godly. how can anyone be Godly in this depraved state? we can strive to be like God, but I don't think that ever makes us Godly.

Age is arbitary, but remember that the Apostle Paul desired that we would stay single so we could focus on the work God has set before us. A married man has to worry about his wife where as a single man can focus more attention on God. That does not mean that all should stay single, but if the union is something that God has called both to, then they ought to do it.

2008/11/25 19:53Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

fuehrerbe21 wrote:
how can anyone be Godly in this depraved state?

Grace.

2Co 11:2 For [b]I am[/b] jealous over you with [b]godly[/b] jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

2Ti 3:12 Yea, and all that will live [b]godly[/b] in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

Tit 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and [b]godly[/b], in this present world;
Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ;

2Pe 2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the [b]godly[/b] out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

If there is a problem calling someone godly, then the problem is with the Bible because the Bible calls some men godly.

2008/11/25 21:00Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

fuehrerbe21 wrote:
i have a problem with the 59 year old being "very Godly" and the other being godly. how can anyone be Godly in this depraved state? we can strive to be like God, but I don't think that ever makes us Godly.

I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but what is it exactly your trying to say? I will not get into the exact age difference, but my wife and I have a very large age difference and have only been married once and that's to each other, is this a sin or something? :-(

2008/11/25 21:18Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

Age is arbitary, but remember that the Apostle Paul desired that we would stay single so we could focus on the work God has set before us. A married man has to worry about his wife where as a single man can focus more attention on God. That does not mean that all should stay single, but if the union is something that God has called both to, then they ought to do it.

there is nothing unbiblical about two people marrying who have significant age differences. Regardless of age, two people should only marry if God has called them to marriage.

2008/11/26 10:22Profile
mission101

Wellman, Iowa

Well if you are wondering about the age. I would have to say you are both still young enough. Freeborn Garrettson didn't marry his wife until he was 41, who was also 41. I also know of a couple that married at 73 and 65. So no problems here.

As far as all the refences the rest of you are making to I Corinthians 7, I am amazed at the balance that Paul brings out in the chapter...

2008/11/26 10:37Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Quote:
Ruthiepoothie wrote:
Question: What is the opinion about a very Godly 59 yr old missionary man being interested in a 33 yr old Godly woman?

What does the 33 year old Godly woman think about it? (huge grin) The age doesn't matter if they both have common interests and are alike in many areas of their life. And if they both get "more interested" in each other and having prayed about it and sought God's wisdom and they want to marry, then go for it.

I have heard from several different sources that people who want to get married should know each other a minimum of 18 months to see how each handle many different situations. 18 to 24 months is a good time to see what the other person is made of. Satan likes to rush us so we don't see the things we should see in another person... that everyone around us sees but us!

Marriage is MUCH more than romance anyway because romance is a relatively new term from the last 100 years or so. He can be a young 59 and she can be an old soul of 33!! Only God knows. But much patience will have to be had on both sides.

Personally, there are two people who will tell us the truth, those that hate us and those that love us! Seek wisdom on your knees and also from those that God has put around you and then heed their advice.

God bless

2008/11/26 10:54Profile
psalm1

I would say ,be led of the spirit. If its God go for it.

You will however face a huge dillema in about 10 or 15 years with that big of age diff.

Single is better spirritually. Relationships are complicated.

Sinlge and longing for companionship is much better than the marriage from hell.

2008/11/26 10:57Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

psalm1 wrote:
You will however face a huge dilemma in about 10 or 15 years with that big of age diff.

dilemma ha? is that what it is? I will tell my wife that, man I just thank God for some of the newer drugs some really can help preserve your relationship, I will just leave it there, I know most Christians, at least the ones I know have a very vivid imagination. :-P

2008/11/26 17:33Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I suppose all would agree the scriptures give us no directives on how old a person should be when he/she marries to who ever.

However, the reality of age, dying and the lost of energy inherent to aging should be considered by the younger person in marrying a much older person.

Many oldsters get so preoccupied with meds, lost of health that it bores younger people to distraction. Some seriors are in excellent health but this is not the norm.

Then there is the change of interests that happens when age creeps up. Interests are steady but let the 60s sneak up on you, some changes occur.

In my opinion, the younger one should carefully and prayerfully consider the age difference and the problems this can cause to the younger one who may end up being a caregiver when she would rather participate in some very active sports, or whatever....and he has no energy to do it for various reasons. This could be a real cause for frustrations.

It is true age is a mental thing, but your body is a real thing, too. :-(

ginnyrose

2008/11/26 17:56Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy