SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is a miscarriage the fault of the parents?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Trevino

Las Cruces, New Mexico

Is a miscarriage the fault of the parents?

I don't even know how to begin...

I had a conversation with a brother of mine who's really into the Word of Faith stuff... he was telling me about the miscarriage his brother's wife had. He said that at the time of the miscarriage, his brother and his wife weren't "standing on the word," but now that she's pregnant again, they're probably going to have the baby because they're "standing on the word."

I must say, I was a little hurt within because he didn't know about the miscarriage my wife had a while back. I just can't seem to find a Scripture that deals with miscarriage and death being in the hands of our "standing on the word" or not. He made it seem as though WE have power over the life and death of our children. "If you're good, your child will live. If you're bad though, your child will die." That kind of a thing.

I kept thinking, "Well, what about the Sovereignty of God who works ALL things according to the counsel of HIS will?" Am I wrong in thinking this?

I dunno, his idea just didn't seem right. If I need to be corrected with Scripture, please correct me.

2008/11/25 16:49Profile

Re: Is a miscarriage the fault of the parents?

Hi Trevino, I'm sorry to hear about your child. I imagine if you were expecting he or she to be born, that must've been painful.

Not all suffering is punishment. God used suffering to perfect his son Jesus. Not all death is punishment either.

God doesn't hold children responsible for something their parents did.

God does allow suffering as part of his plan.

If God had a child die because of it's parents sins it wouldn't be punishment to the child first of all. Maybe mercy to the child if the parents were doing extremely bad things. Or maybe God could just have other reasons that are part of his plan and will be to his glory.

Just thought I'd throw out a couple other ideas besides the one you were concerned about.

Ben

2008/11/25 18:17
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
He made it seem as though WE have power over the life and death of our children. "If you're good, your child will live. If you're bad though, your child will die." That kind of a thing.

To put this simply -- NO!

Here is a response I posted on another thread. While this response is directed towards implying God as the one who puts infants to death in the womb it is still relevant for your question concerning parents.

Quote:
The question to me is not 'was the child punished?', but 'would God be just in punishing a child?' I believe the answer is yes, but also that God may show mercy to children as freely as he does to adults, even to regenerate John in the womb. If God does not punish an infant it is because of mercy, not justice. The child is guilty.

I question this. You will recall that God calls the sacrificing of children "the murder of the innocent"
[b]Psalm 106
36.[/b] And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them.
[b]37.[/b] Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils,
[b]38.[/b] And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan: and the land was polluted with blood.
[b]39.[/b] Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went a whoring with their own inventions.
[b]40.[/b] Therefore was the wrath of the LORD kindled against his people, insomuch that he abhorred his own inheritance.

And, again,
[b]Deuteronomy 24
16.[/b] "Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin."

"If God does not punish an infant it is because of mercy, not justice. The child is guilty."
Find me a scripture which says "you were guilty from the womb." I see verses which emphasize that we are sinners from the womb but even Paul makes the distinction that there was a time when he was alive without the law. Personally, in my opinion, I do not believe God allows infants to die because He is righteously pouring out His vengeance upon the ungodly fetuses ... please. If anything they die because of the curse of sin&death in the world or the murderous intent of men.

I think there needs to be a clear demarcation between the curse of sin&death that has entered the world through Adam's sin and the wages of sin upon the workers of lawlessness. Consider the man who was born blind, obviously blindness is a result of sin in the world; but who committed such sin that caused him to be born blind? Jesus replied, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him."

So then, if blindness, and other birth defects (including stillborn), entered the world through sin by the curse of death&decay, who committed such sin that these children today should be born as they are?

Here is a strange conclusion: God in His justice puts an infant to death, if we conclude this to be because the child in the womb is a worker of lawlessness then it is such that these children are being put to death for their sins. That would mean they are dying for and in their sins. This line of reasoning can only give us the impression that the wrath of God was casting these children into hell. Yet, what shall we say then is God likewise guilty of shedding "innocent blood"?

Again, we ought to be very careful in this line of reasoning to see that we do not blame God for the work of satan, the iniquity of men, and the curse of a dying world.

And, to specify this for your question Trevin, man does not even have the power to add one inch to his stature by taking thought of it; how then shall man have power with his thinking to determine who shall live or who shall die? It is the Lord who has numbered the days of man and it is the Lord that shall require them.

If there is someone to blame for the loss of a child then let it be the exceedingly sinfulness of sin that is presently putting the world through such pains of death and fragility and the liar who comes but to kill, steal, and destroy. Let your grief and sorrow be the earnest desire for the appearing of our soon coming Savior who shall cast death and hades into the lake of fire and establish His eternal kingdom of unending joy and life.

Be blessed and rejoice my brother in the unfading hope which we have because of the indwelling Spirit of Christ.

2008/11/25 18:21Profile
Trevino

Las Cruces, New Mexico

Re:

BoG, Ben, thank you both so much for your replies to this thread. Much light was shed. May God continue to keep you in His grace. Thank you again.

2008/11/26 8:49Profile
mission101

Wellman, Iowa

I don't have any scipture right off hand but the truth is that God is Sovreign and he knows the outcome of every situation. I also know that some things which are beyond our control can have an effect on miscarriages.

My encouragement would be to continue to rest in the Lord. He will strengthen and comfort you.

2008/11/26 10:43Profile
psalm1

How far reaching is sin?
How far can a man go into the depths of God?

Hermano,con Dios solamente un tiempo.Fuego!

Who knows what should have could have or might have been with a miscarriage.
Only those who have experienced this can understand the sorrow and tragedy of your great loss.
In all human history the one that had the most regrets said"therefore there is now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus ,who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

I sense that bro. put a little condemnation on you?

Let it be a lesson to you.
It is BRETHREN AND THE ENEMY that you will receive this from.
Learn to shake it off. Look closely at scripture where Paul addresses this issue.
Love is not an option for anyone walking in love is not easily offended.

The flip side is,if you truly get blown out for God and radically follow him,you will offend most everyone .

2008/11/26 11:30Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

i've posted some thoughts i've had recently from my study of John regarding this issue. In John 9, Jesus was asked who's fault it was that the man was blind. Was it his sins or his parents that made him blind? What was Jesus' response?

3Jesus answered, "It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him..."

The same was true in chapter 11 with Lazarus! It was all for the glory of God!

Hope these passages can be of some encouragement.

2008/12/2 20:09Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy