SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : walking in God's will

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jeffkenp

Battle Ground, Washington

walking in God's will

A comment was made to me today concerning walking in God's will. I was told that you can walk in God's will in one area of your life and in other areas not be walking in His will, and that this is perfectly acceptable.(They were explaining it as multiple aspects to your life)
I thought that this was false, as you take life as a whole and you are either walking in His will or not.
Any thoughts about this subject would be appreciated.

2008/11/24 19:40Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: walking in God's will

As you grow in grace and in knowledge of the truth, God reveals more of His purpose and will.
He will also reveal areas of your life where you
aren't following His will. He is constantly
directing, leading, teaching, unfolding His
purpose and will. The untruth is that it is
"perfectly acceptable." We are accountable
to walk in the light of our understanding of
His will for us.

2008/11/24 20:01Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re: walking in God's will

Satan's main goal is to keep you from God's perfect will and the fullness of God that is reqired to walk in it. He can make things sound so good and logical; he's been doing it for a long time. From someone who has had hot, cold and warm spots for 30 years, I can tell you for a fact, the only way to stay hot is to stay full of God. If it is not absolutely your passion to pursue God, you are already distracted.

I don't say that in a derogatory way, but from a perspective of having been disracted, I know now why there was so much of an effort to distract. He does not want you to experience God's fullness. Once you do, it is all you will want. You'll recognize immediately when people make comments, like the one you have mentioned, just how far off the comments are.

I ran across a quote here that I really like and I think is the key to the issue you raise and the point I am trying to make. I believe it was by D.L. Moody, 'Sin will keep you from this Book. This Book will keep you from sin.' The way to God's fullness is to immerse yourself in His word.

Jesus said, 'If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink'. The key is to drink and drink often. It will get to the point where you crave it because you realize it the source to the springs of living water referred to in the passage I mention.

Maybe more than you were after, but I am on a mission to expose satan's tactics that more and more of God's own can know Him as He is able to be known.

One post you might enjoy looking at is in Devotional Thoughts called 'When I am full I am Free'. It might be 2 pages deep. First posted in August. Hope you can find it.

2008/11/24 20:58Profile
ChrisMo

Re: God's Will

I loved Sojourners reply, how true, the more intimate we are with God, the more He can trust us with what He has for us, He is a gracious & merciful God. It says in the bible those that fear the Lord, these are the ones He will share His secrets with.
Blessings
Christine

2008/11/24 21:43Profile
theopenlife

Re:

"This is the will of God for you, even your sanctification; that you abstain from sexual immorality." - 1 Thes. 4:3

At the moment of your reading this, are you walking in His will regarding sexual purity, in this aspect of your life? Yes or no?

Perhaps you say, "Yes, at this moment I am." Yet in another area you find yourself guilty of present error - perhaps a daily neglect to right broken relationships, to respect those you live with by maintaining cleanliness and order at all times, or holding to a regular habit of spiritual discipline. In this case, you are demonstrating obedience to one aspect of His moral will while faltering in another area of it.

Maybe the confusion has to do with a misunderstanding of God's 'Two wills'? God has both a moral will and a decretal will. His moral will pertains to what He has commanded us to do. Do not lie, do not steal, etc. We sometimes violate this will, or intention, of God.

However, His decretal will describes what He has ordained, or 'decreed' to certainly come to pass. This means there are certain things He never approves of morally, yet has mysteriously and sinlessly included in His ultimate plan for a greater purpose. For instance, God does not morally approve of selling your brother into slavery, yet He may decretally will for such a thing occur in order to glorify Himself through it. (See Genesis 50) God does not morally will the crucifixion of a just man, but He ordained for Christ to die in this way.

Likewise, it is true that one person may experience a mixture of obedience and error within a twenty-four hour period, thereby being somewhat in and in other ways out of God's moral will, and yet be perfectly in the decretal will of God. In fact, nothing exists which is not perfectly in God's decretal will, however much it violates His moral will.

The moral will is what we should do. The decretal will is what God shall do.

Hope that helps.

2008/11/24 21:48Profile
reformer

Re:

Quote:
I can tell you for a fact, the only way to stay hot is to stay full of God.

I like that one!! Its so right!

reformer

2008/11/25 7:48Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy