SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Free AudioBook for November, on prayer.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
theopenlife

Free AudioBook for November, on prayer.

As usual, ChristianAudio.com is giving away their [url=http://christianaudio.com/free_download.php]free monthly audio book[/url].

This time it is John Calvin's "On Prayer and The Christian Life", which is an excerpt from his voluminous Institutes. For those uninitiated, don't be daunted by fears of difficult listening. Calvin's work is direct, edifying, and honest. I listened to it while mowing the lawn and riding my bike to and from work. If you are looking for ornate language, look elsewhere as the great reformer makes no attempt to be superfluously prolix (like I just was). His point is to be understood by the youngest believer, to glorify God in Christ, and to give sound wisdom for effective prayer.

Don't wait long, though. This will only be available until November 30th.

2008/11/20 0:05Profile
theopenlife

Re: Free AudioBook for November, on prayer.

Bump, with one more bump on the 29th. Please forgive what may be so great a blessing to others who come less frequently, and are less likely to see this free book.

2008/11/21 22:12Profile
BVO

ohio

Re: Free AudioBook for November, on prayer.

Thank you for the heads up on this download. I got on this morning hoping to find something to download that was topical, and an increase in my passion for prayer has been on my heart. The issue is that there is some of Calvin and his institutes work that I don't agree with and some I believe is just wrong. This is stretching me to open myself up to be lead by God and to lay my prejudices and bias' at the altar and offer them up as a sacrifice unto Him who is worthy of all. Thanks again. In Christ Barry

2008/11/22 8:39Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Awesome, Barry. I was pretty leery of Calvin, too, but I had actually never read anything of his until this book. What a surprise! It's generally straight-forward advice about prayer and holiness, refreshing if not original. The only part that can be 'slow' is when he dismantles Roman Catholic notions of praying to saints. If you know Catholics, though, this will give you some choice arguments (as if we did not have enough).

2008/11/22 12:34Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy