SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Genesis 6 - the sons of God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Mattie

Genesis 6 - the sons of God

Genesis 6:1-2, 4 "Now it came to pass when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose...There were giants (nephillim) on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown."

I have heard several teachings on this particular passage. There is the "Sethite view" saying that the sons of God is speaking of the lineage of Seth.

The other view is that the sons of God are referring to fallen angels who came down to the earth to take women for themselves. It was attempts of Satan to corrupt the lineage that would lead to Jesus. And even after the flood came to the earth, this would take place again in those very lands that Israel were called to destroy. It says that "nephillim" dwelt there.

Any thoughts?

2008/11/19 9:52Profile

Re: Genesis 6 - the sons of God

Jude 1:6 (Young's Literal Translation)
[b]messengers[/b] (angels) also, those who did not keep their own principality, but [b]did leave their proper dwelling[/b], to a judgment of a great day, in bonds everlasting, under darkness He hath kept

Jude 1:14-15 (NKJV)
14 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, 15 to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.”

2 Peter 2:5 (NKJV)
4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; 5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly;

PERSONALLY I think speculating about the bloodline of the messiah is weird because like John the baptist said God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. Also Jesus Christ is NOT of the seed of Man but John says "the Word became flesh". He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit in the virgin Mary - not by the power of Adam's blood, seed, etc.

The thing about the sons of Seth seems silly in my opinion. I think there was some debate a couple thousand years ago as to whether angels could actually mate with women but look at the scriptures. What do you think? Also who's Enoch and how does Jude know what he said when he's not quoted as having said that in the bible? That's in the book of Enoch which is not very popular with some people. The text may be corrupted or have had things added to it but it at least has that quote from Jude and is believed to have been written before Jesus was born of Mary. ALSO, and I think this may have a lot more to do with the suspicion people have toward it, it definitely tells the story of the angels mating with women. There is actually more to it in that book and it also goes into a story of angels who taught men to alter the world with technologies, sciences, dyes, cosmetics, etc.

What stuck out most to me is that the story of heavenly beings mating with humans and producing hybrid or whatever offspring, mighty men of renown, is identical to greek mythology. Even the resulting violence and bloodshed. Look at greek mythology, it's full of wars of so-called god's and weird mutants. Justin Martyr wrote that the greeks got their stuff from Moses who's writings were much older than theirs. So I don't know. But how many cultures have a flood story? Maybe a lot of cultures/histories contain a similar story to these wicked angels mating with humans?

Just be careful with the Enoch thing because a lot of people like to lump it together with some pretty crazy heretical stuff. The book I bought that had the translation of Enoch also contained disgusting blasphemies against Christ. So guard yourself. Remember he who thinks he stands should take heed lest he fall.

You can find translations of Enoch online.

2008/11/19 13:50

Re:

I want to add that the scriptures point to Jesus. All the answers are in Jesus because he is the Truth, Wisdom, and Light. Anything that's in the scripture about this nephelim stuff is made clear in the Light, Jesus.

"How can this be since I know not man?"
Also, I've wondered if Mary was familiar with this story when the angel came to visit her and told her that she would conceive a child. If she was it shows amazing faith on her part.

2008/11/19 14:08

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy