SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What do you do with your spouse for 'date night'?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

What do you do with your spouse for 'date night'?

Saints,

My wonderful wife and I have taken the godly advice of my mentor in Canada to spend one 'date night' together each week, if possible.

My question and hope of this thread (unless previously discussed, thus I would appreciate some links) is to gather some suggestions as to what a married couple might want to consider for their 'date night'.

Note: I am not necessarily looking for the 'dos and don'ts' of Christian couples, rather the things that you have done with your spouse and have found it to be a blessing to your marriage and acceptable in the eyes of our Lord.

Blessings,
Brian - Mira

2008/11/16 2:56
MJones

Missouri

Re: What do you do with your spouse for 'date night'?

Good question BrianMira.

We live in a town of about 40,000 and do not have all that would be available in a large city.
We have come to enjoy, usually on Friday night, to treat ourselves to dinner out and then usually will go to Barnes & Noble where we will sit and look at books. We occasionally meet friends there, which we did last night and have now set up dinner with them in the very near future. Occasionally also, when we do meet up with friends there, we might go out for desert after our time at Barnes & Noble.

That may not sound exciting, but we are over 50 and seem to be enjoying reconnecting with old friends. We have raised our kids and now have more time to do so.

This is a very good practical question. I hope you get good responses. I started a similar thread a few days ago asking people to briefly describe how God is using them. Mine is nothing organized. Much one on one. I enjoy writing, which again I am able to use in a one on one way through letters and emails.

I, like you, thought it would be good personally to see the many different ways God is using people, and for others to see it as well. The thread is in General Topics and is called 'your ministry'. If you have anything to contribute there, I would be interested in what you have to post.

Good luck with your thread and your date life.

2008/11/16 8:29Profile
Theophila

My DH is a home-body so date night for us consists of snuggling and watching a family movie [of my choosing], healthy snacks and putting our little man to bed.

2008/11/16 14:28Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hey there...

Our "date nights" usually consist of something entirely spontaneous and include activities that are not the same with each week. I sometimes will take her to a place that we haven't been before...to eat...to just sit and talk...or to see the sunset...or to just remind us about what we like in one another.

I've seen so many after marriage that they often fail to remember the things that they do. It is nice to be alone with my wife and provide acts that display that love. Of course, I would be quite attentive to the things that she wants to do. For example: There is no point in taking her to ride roller coasters if she has motion sickness (silly example); Don't take her to Red Lobster if she doesn't like seafood. You know what I mean?

I think that the purpose of taking your wife "out" is to reaffirm your love for her...in her presence. The most exciting part of such outtings is not what we do...but the fact that we are together, getting closer, while doing those things.

:-)

2008/11/16 14:56Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

3 kids under 5 and a fourth on the way.

Ask me in 10 years. :-) :-) :-)

2008/11/16 15:20Profile

Re:

Date night at our house consists of locking the bedroom door! lol

4 boys, remember?

Seriously tho, we dont get out enough. We went to Outback a few weeks ago. (I highly recommend the "Bloomin' Burger"!) Just to have an hour or two alone to talk, catch up on things... look into her beautiful blue eyes.

We also enjoy doing ministry together. We volunteer at the Rescue Mission, things like that. Generally we ivolve the kids in that too, but we also like to just do that sort of thing together without the kids now and then.

We go for walks, we love going to the beach and leaving the kids at the beach house (friends of ours own it) as we walk along the waters edge when there's a full moon. Thats kinda romantic.

Go for a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Simple stuff like that.

We also like to get to at least one Carolina Panthers game each year, just the two of us. We also try to get to a NASCAR race each year too... again, without the kids! Always makes for a fun weekend in Charlotte.

Krispy

2008/11/17 9:27

We have five children; 3 under 5, but we are blessed to have family near by. (free baby sitting) We do not go out that often (once per month, once every two months)...

We love good food, so we usually go out to a nice restaurant that serves multiple courses (so dinner takes a while) and we just talk and talk and talk. Usually we are near a town or a city, and so we will go walking after.

2008/11/17 13:10
LoveGodsWay2

Ohio, USA

My wife & I will skip dinner with the kids. And after they go to bed, we'll order a pizza. We sit & talk while eat our pizza together. Sometime we'll watch a movie also.

My wife always tells me, "It's the quality of time and not the quantity of time that we spend together."

So I try to as often as I can to spend a little time with her.

Quote:
He who finds a wife finds a good thing, (Proverbs 18:22)

2008/11/17 15:51Profile
reformer

Re:

Unfortunately we don't go on many date nights as we did in the past. Our babysitter thought college was more important! LOL! We try to go out once a month and when we do, it is usually some dinner and maybe a movie. Mostly its a time for us to shop for the kids and for ourselves. We sometimes will grab a coffee, sit down and talk. We enjoy just simple things walking through the mall, bookstores, etc! I suppose we are old and dull now, but we enjoy just being together holding hands,talking and laughing. She makes me laugh like know one else!

thanks for starting this thread, its refreshing to focus on something like this rather than a deep theological discussion.

Mike

2008/11/17 20:30Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I'd like to commend all you married folks for trying to still have a "date night." For one thing that grieves my heart is to have heard that A.W. Tozer's widow, who later remarried, exclaimed that she "finally had a husband." As great as Tozer was, and as much as we cherish the great things he left the church, I think this is a sad blemish on his life.

Romance, sadly, has often not been looked at by the Church as something that is spiritual. Indeed, there are few activities that are as spiritual as romancing your spouse. Sadly, the Song of Solomon has been allegorized away or simply ignored. Likewise, proverbs does command us to "cherish [rejoice!] the wife of your youth."

An old saint once told me to never stop pursuing your wife once you get married. Pursue her (or him) until the day you die. Granted, I am not married yet, but, I plan heed the advice of my older brother once I am.

2008/11/17 20:36Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy