SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Error of Balaam...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

The Error of Balaam...

Greetings...!

I have been reading through Numbers and Jude lately. I have been reading and considering this particular passage from Jude:

Quote:
11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.

The Error of Balaam. What is it?

I have often heard this quoted in churches, here and elsewhere. Personally, I have felt that it is similar to those who would seek personal gain from the work of the Lord (profits for hire? -- but not limited to money. It could include fame, praise, allowing others to know our humility, etc...). How many "career" preachers do we know who make a living from the Word of the Lord? How many "spiritual" men do we know who don't despise the praises of men?

I have also thought that it could have had something to do with Balaam's ability to hear an answer from God, but then to wait for another answer (as if the first did not suffice). I have often wondered about Balaam's donkey. In Numbers, Balaam heard God tell him not to return with Balak's men. Then he prayed AGAIN, and heard God tell him to go with them (but only to say what God tells him to say). On the road was an angel of the Lord prepared to strike down Balaam. Then Balaam continued to go.

This is a topic of interest to me of late. I would appreciate any of your insight! Thanks!

:-)

2008/11/15 23:46Profile

Re: The Error of Balaam...

I was just wondering about Balaam earlier today and the new testament references.

The donkey set a good example.

2008/11/16 0:19
flameoffire

Michigan

Keith Green actually does a very in depth study of Balaam. You can find it at sermonindex [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=18]Here[/url] I think he credits Winkey Pratney for some of it. It's fascinating, but his expression of it would be far more complete than mine. I hope that helps :-)

2008/11/16 1:13Profile
dohzman

Balaam couldn't curse Israel because the Lord would not let him, but he did give Balock a way to make the sons of Israel stumble and sin and therefore cause the judgement of God to fall on God's chosen people. The sons of God were drawn out to committ sin, it was a sin of lust to be sure, a sin of not being content with what God had given them for thier covenant partners, but as you study it out you can see that its application can go pretty deep into ones peaching and what they bring to the attention of the hearers. The baptist said behold the Lamb of who takes away the sin of the world, but what do these men say? and where do they get the sons of God to focus?

It is an interesting topic and should have some good insight from many a wiser individuals on this board than me. I see this in two veins, one is baalim and the condition of his heart, the other is his actions or deeds which resulted in the judgement of God on His people, which is called a stumbling block.

2008/11/16 8:29Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Thanks flameoffire...!

I think that I read something like this from Keith Green a few years ago (via LAST DAYS MINISTRIES). Good stuff.

:-)

2008/11/16 14:57Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy