SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is there humor in heaven?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
davidt

Is there humor in heaven?

I have thought over this for a while. I do not think there are any passages in the Scripture's where a joke is told. I know there is a chance that it can still be viable without being in the Bible. There is laughter but that is always connected to joy in the Lord. The only other time I see laughter in the Bible is mentioning how fools are mocked or God laughing at His enemies. I have tried to think over jokes that are told and it seems that all in one way or another are either coarse in a strongly negative sense or they are just silly and I am not sure that when we step into the Kingdom of God if we will be silly or even think of silly things. I could be wrong though and I am not making an emphatic claim I would just like to hear what others have to say. I could be wrong in that I missed something in Scripture, there are jokes that aren't based on foolishness or silliness, or there will be silliness in the Millenial Kingdom and so forth. The last thing I mentioned about the Millenial Kingdom is I think somewhat foreseeable to me. I mean we could be silly. We will be on the earth and were not just going to float around in heaven like these mindless spirits. We could act like clowns or something for fun? I don't know though. Lastly, that also brings up a point that we should have more joy I think in the Lord even to laughter and an overflowing cup.

2008/11/15 8:39Profile

Re: Is there humor in heaven?

I believe from the bible that silliness is not right. At first I thought ALL laughter was wrong because Jesus says woe to you who laugh now. But there is laughter in the joy of the Lord I believe - like Isaac's birth - if God shows you something wonderful that he has done I don't think Jesus was pronouncing woe on someone who laughs or chuckles in joy and amazement or praise. That is a humble laughing.
But solomon said the heart of the wise is in the house of mourning and the hearts of fools in the house of mirth. And if you notice when Jesus said that about laughing in Luke he also said it about being rich and well-fed. So that seems to me to be frivolous laughter that has nothing to do with humility. Silliness is frivolous and its definitely not appropriate for grown men - for instance Will Farrell has set a horrible example for young men. We are to be sober minded. That doesn't mean in despair (remember the hypocrites who contort their faces to appear that they are religious and fasting). If you are careful with your speech it will help you to avoid silliness. Circumcise your speech. Cut away the useless chatter of the flesh. Ungodly chatter.

People may not understand you and if you are not determined to obey God rather than your culture you will fall into guilt and shame. People also may persecute you. I had a very negative reaction from someone when I told them that I didn't want to teach my 4 yr old daughter to be silly. I had been teaching her silliness because I didn't know it was wrong but I was able to explain that to her and she would even help correct me when I forgot not to be silly. Now we were playing with a pet mouse that I got for her (not big into pets though) and it was crawling on her arm and she was laughing because it tickled. I don't think God has a problem with that. Children have good cause to be happy because of Jesus's love for them and all the blessings of God's creation they are learning about.

I'm still learning about all of this but I think true christian instruction toward repentance itself will naturally include this lesson. I wasn't taught it at any church though.

2008/11/15 9:18
davidt

Re: Is there humor in heaven?

Hmm. Yeah. Thanks for the comments. I didn't mean silly in that extreme sense but in a playful like a clown for children. But I can see that even that is not useful and sober. I do however think that the Lord unless specifically called otherwise allows us to have time for recreation. So, what I am saying is I don't think being sober would solely x it out in the sense of usefulness. But, I do think I agree with you about the use of laughter in scripture. So that would seem to x out jokes altogether at least in that sense?

2008/11/15 9:28Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I believe the Lord laughed at times with His disciples while He walked the earth; and that He smiled and chuckled during conversations at supper time. He couldn't have kept 12 men by his side for 3 years without engaging in good natured humor every now and then. Being Deity, He may have been able to do without it, but worldly guys like Peter and Andrew and James and the rest probably couldn't - nor would God expect them to. The most important thing we know was that Jesus knew when to be serious (and so should we) when presenting the gospel and warning about the consequences of eternity. He was deadly serious then. Literally.

As far as humor in Heaven - I know there'll be joy unexpressable there. Is humor found in joy? I don't know. Perhaps the bliss of transcending time in our glorified bodies will absolutely trump any kind of laugher that can can be identified as earthly. In fact, if you think about it, the fact that one can laugh at humor signifies that there may be times where humor is absent and one doesn't laugh. What will the prevailing emotion be during those times? I am of the persuasion that there will be no emotions in heaven, because emotions are soulish and fickle and circumstantial, but joy and love are not emotions: they are of a higher realm.

(edit) I remember something I once heard Zac Poonen say, and I think it may apply to this thread. A little boy once came to him and said that he was laughing and playing catch with Jesus in a dream the other night. Zac said that he believed the truth of that dream being from the Lord over all the others he hears from self-styled prophets speaking from the pulpits and on TV.

2008/11/15 9:35Profile

Re:

that's strange, I didn't realize you had mentioned acting like clowns. That's what the situation was with my daughter, her mother (we don't live together) had her in a dance class and their performance was going to be them dressing up as clowns. I started to tell her that I didn't think that was the kind of thing God wanted us to encourage children to do. One of the things I was learning about laughter was that laughter at someone's expense is not good. If I make silly faces or do stupid looking things to make a kid laugh then they are laughing AT me which is shameful for me to do being a grown man and made in God's image (though I know much has been lost).
So I taught my daughter that, that we shouldn't laugh AT people, even if they want us to! Getting rid of all the frivolous play humor (which is addictive, like a drug) makes a lot of room for peace and actual joy. These are the real versions and the fake giddiness of fleshly humor is more like a bodily reaction, its like a fastfood rip-off version of a really good meal.
I don't automatically trust preachers now who make jokes at anyone's expense, even their own.
I laughed the other day on the phone with a friend because he started singing a little hymn and I felt joy. I wasn't laughing at anyone. I would've sung along if I had been more familiar with the words and tune. So mockery, silliness, foolishness, SARCASM (sarcasm is bitterness in your heart, you need Jesus if you are sarcastic) all these are not right as far as I have learned. The humble laughter is different and a gift from God. It is not from the flesh or a carnal, unspiritual soul.

2008/11/15 9:37
davidt

Re:

Paul,

I agree that we are allowed recreation in moderation. And yes there are different times. As for not having emotions I am not so sure about that in the fullest sense. I know we will have glorified bodies but they will have some similarities. I mean we will come back to the earth and that will be similar or else why would God create a new one and not just create something called something else. We will eat and I think that we will enjoy that and that is soulish in the sense of having senses. I do not believe that our bodies in themselves are sinful it is just the sin mixed and the corruption because Adam had the same body while he was not sinning. I am not trying to go to the extreme though where we will be on a roller coaster ride and other negative aspects of emotions. I believe emotions are good but are used wrongly.

2008/11/15 9:47Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Some Christians better hope there is laughter in Heaven or they may never get a chance to laugh or smile. I have seen some Christians that it could be the first time they laugh or smile will be in Heaven. By the way we only know about Jesus and his humor by whats in the Word and the word does not cover his whole existence while here, but my guess is that he laughed or smiled many,many times and is probably up in Heaven right now wondering why there are so many sad sacks down here on earth. :-P

2008/11/15 9:48Profile
davidt

Re:

Ben,

"clowns" thats interesting. Yeah I think you are right. So many jokes though they seem innocent have an underlining negative thing to them. One can say that they dont mean any harm but the truth is they are laughing at something wrong and because it is wrong this is what makes there sinful nature take pleasure in it. For instance one can allow oneself to be mocked as you said and say well your not actually laughing at me your laughing at the concept that I am dumb or something. But, why should we laugh at someone who is disabled or something are we laughing at their folly? And, yes, sarcasm is another thing. I remember having a cousin though not saved when you made fun of her she would say yeah you are doing it for fun but there is some truth in the you are saying from your heart.

2008/11/15 9:54Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I know we will have glorified bodies but they will have some similarities. I mean we will come back to the earth and that will be similar or else why would God create a new one and not just create something called something else. We will eat and I think that we will enjoy that and that is soulish in the sense of having senses.

We shall see, my friend. I think you are using human logic right now to deduce all this, but I don't know for sure either. Emotions are outward manifestations of inner realities. Emotions - in an earthly sense - are superficial, and triggered by happenstance. If you want to argue for emotion in Heaven, you have to account for unpleasant emotions as well. Or will God only permit us to have "happy" emotions? It opens a whole can of worms, hinting that God is going to re-wire us and make us celestial "happy robots". I realize this is a foolish analogy!

We shouldn't deign to make ourselves wiser than what the Word reveals, and that's why I'll stop here :)

Brother Paul

2008/11/15 9:57Profile
davidt

Re:

MrBill,

I am not sure you read my post or at least comprehended it completely. I wasn't asking whether or not there was laughter in heaven but whether or not there was humor in heaven. I stated that I know there will be laughter in the joy of the Lord. However, I also was questioning whether or not there was joking in Heaven. I must agree with you though somewhat emphatically that many are so joyless all the time. And this would be from an extreme doctrine that we are never to have recreation or have even spiritual joy because we need to have brokeness. I agree that we are to have brokenness and have soberness but having joy is also a serious thing. The joy of the Lord is our strength. The joy of the Lord is our ministry. Paul said that he wept and laughed at the same time and that is what we do since we weep for the lost and yet joy in our salvation. So, yes we have time for recreation and joy especially since it is spiritual and central in the Christian faith.

2008/11/15 10:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy