Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : How Hearts are Softened [Spurgeon]

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Abe_Juliot

Southern California

How Hearts are Softened [Spurgeon]

I have looked online and I could not find this sermon. I read this sermon from my personal collection of some of Spurgeon's sermons.

If anyone has Spurgeon's library, it is from the 1887 (Vol. 33). The sermon title is "How Hearts are Softened" and the text is [Zec 12:10, 11]

This sermon brought me to tears, I highly recommend it.

2008/11/6 1:41Profile

Re: How Hearts are Softened [Spurgeon]

I think this is it:

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=yYBGGD6Xa98C&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=How+Hearts+are+Softened+charles+spurgeon&source=web&ots=mu-xkhDyB3&sig=qqTlDjUdNns5es3LAheBKgqX4Uw&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result

2008/11/6 5:02
whyme

Re:

http://home.att.net/~sovereigngrace/howheartssoftened1.html

2008/11/6 8:05Profile
Abe_Juliot

Southern California

Re:

Thank you Jesus!

2008/11/6 14:51Profile
Abe_Juliot

Southern California

Re:

It is the best sermon that I have ever heard on regeneration.

http://home.att.net/~sovereigngrace/howheartssoftened1.html

This is a clip that pierced me through.

"True sorrow for sin comes not without the Spirit of God; but even the Spirit of God himself does not work it except by leading us to look to Jesus the crucified. There is no true mourning for sin until the eye has seen Christ. It is a beautiful remark of an old divine, that eyes are made for two things at least; first, to look with, and next, to weep with. The eye which looks to the pierced One is the eye which weeps for him. O soul, when thou comest to look where all eyes should look, even to him who was pierced, then thine eye begins to weep for that for which all eyes should weep, even the sin which slew thy Savior! There is no saving repentance except within sight of the cross. That repentance of sin which omits Christ, is a repentance which will have to be repented of. If such sorrow may be called repentance at all, it is only as wild grapes are yet called grapes, though they have in them none of the qualities and virtues of the clusters of the true vine. Evangelical repentance is acceptable repentance, and that only; and the essence of evangelical repentance is that it looks to him whom it pierced by its sin. Sorrow for sin without faith in Christ is the hard bone without the marrow: it kills, but never blesses. It is a tempest of the soul with thunder and lightning, but no rain. God save us from remorse! it worketh death." -Spurgeon

The following is some thoughts that I have on this subject...

My preaching has changed a lot in the passed year and a half. I would say one of the main differences is that there is a greater emphasis on the message of the cross. I used to think that weeping with humility comes to the sinner when they have had a revelation of how sinful they are. But, sinners only found themselves merely making decisions out of the fear of death when I would over emphasize Law and future punishment without rightly emphasizing the biblical message of the Cross of Christ.

We must preach Law and future punishment. But, If we do not exalt the Cross of Christ in our message [that he suffered the curse of the Law and the wrath that we deserve] hearts will not be humbled. It is false to say that the Law humbles the heart of a man. It is true that the law stops the mouth of the proud and shows a man that he is completelty hopeless, condemned, and in desperate need of the mercy of God. (and for this purpose, the Law is good) But, never will a natural man humble himself when he hears the Law. Many a times, I would expect sinners to repent in sackcloth and by the time I was done explaining sin and hell.

It is only through the preaching of the cross that humility and godly sorrow is wrought in the soul. But, still we must preach on sin and future punishment, for the purpose of preaching the Cross of Christ. In other words, when we say "the wicked shall be turned into hell and all the nations that forget God." ... our aim should be to bring the sinner to look to the cross, where Jesus suffered the wrath of God for all the nations that have forgotten God. The sinner will only be greatly awakened to the bondage of the fear of death that he is under, if we only preach law and future punishment.

There are some ministers who are skilled at preaching on Sin and future punishment. But, many of their converts are only moved to profess Faith in Jesus because they do not want to go to hell. The goodness of God did not lead them to true repentance. The awareness of their bondage to the fear of death moved them to an outward and false repentance. It is only the biblical message of "Jesus Christ and Him crucified" that the Spirit of God grants the new birth. But, let not a man think that we should dim the light of the Law of God and the Wrath to come. For it is these to truths that make the mercy of God at the Cross to shine brightly.

-Blessings to the glory of God!
-Abraham

2008/11/6 16:09Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy