Discussion Forum : General Topics : Reflexology & Acupunture

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Reflexology & Acupunture

Reflexology:

Many years ago I was introduced to this practice by a relative of my husband. Being young and ignorant of the practice, I asked our physician the next time I saw him. He took a lot of time to explain to me why it is unscientific. Now if I can remember it I will try to explain it the way he did.

The reflexology theory says all organs of the body have nerve endings that go to your feet which is why the foot is mapped out as certain points correspond to certain parts of the body. So when pressure is applied to this part it will affect that organ. Our doctor says that is not true. The body's organs do not have nerves that end at the feet.

If I recall, this theory is similar to iridology. There people will look into your eyes to find your medical history and make diagnosis for current ills.

Since our doctor took the time to explain a few things to me I have stayed away from it and still enjoy excellent health and for that I praise the LORD.

I know there is other lit out there who can explain this is better detail. We have one book "The Hidden Agenda" by Dr. David Sneed & Dr. Sharon Sneed that you might find helpful - do not know whether if it is sill available - it was copyrighted in 1991.

My theory is that if something looks questionable, it is safer to stay away from it.

Hope this helps
ginnyrose

2008/11/4 19:59Profile
notmyown

Re:

Ginnyrose - I would agree with your final sentence. I too can not find any actual medical proof about the whole nerve ending explanation.

Tinluke - Thanks for the link

God bless you all for your help. :-)

2008/11/5 6:46Profile
vasilef

ROMANIA

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Reflexology:

Many years ago I was introduced to this practice by a relative of my husband. Being young and ignorant of the practice, I asked our physician the next time I saw him. He took a lot of time to explain to me why it is unscientific. Now if I can remember it I will try to explain it the way he did.

The reflexology theory says all organs of the body have nerve endings that go to your feet which is why the foot is mapped out as certain points correspond to certain parts of the body. So when pressure is applied to this part it will affect that organ. Our doctor says that is not true. The body's organs do not have nerves that end at the feet.

If I recall, this theory is similar to iridology. There people will look into your eyes to find your medical history and make diagnosis for current ills.

Since our doctor took the time to explain a few things to me I have stayed away from it and still enjoy excellent health and for that I praise the LORD.

I know there is other lit out there who can explain this is better detail. We have one book "The Hidden Agenda" by Dr. David Sneed & Dr. Sharon Sneed that you might find helpful - do not know whether if it is sill available - it was copyrighted in 1991.

My theory is that if something looks questionable, it is safer to stay away from it.

Hope this helps
ginnyrose

What kind of doctor is your doctor?
Let me guess: conventional medicine doctor!

Show me a regular doctor who really believes in alternative medicine. Maybe you find 0.1% of them.
Most of them will not recommend you an alternative option because they will all eventually loose their jobs. ;-)

2008/11/6 2:11Profile
Eliel

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re:

Quote:
Quote:

What kind of doctor is your doctor? Let me guess: conventional medicine doctor! Show me a regular doctor who really believes in alternative medicine. Maybe you find 0.1% of them. Most of them will not recommend you an alternative option because they will all eventually loose their jobs.

All organs of the body do not have nerve endings that end in the foot. That's the final word on reflexology. This isn't some conventional doctor trying to keep business for himself, it's a medical professional correcting an incorrect statement.

Since all the organs of the body don't have nerves in the foot, then sticking needles into your feet can't cure you of anything, except maybe a build-up of fluid in your foot, but you don't need to see a reflexologist for that. It's a largely unregulated worthless practice completely based on a faulty practice.

Stick with your general doctor, avoid the quacks.

2008/11/6 6:04Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

The critics of conventional medicine declare they are mere pawns of the pharmaceutical companies working to sell their products at the expense of one's health.

As I have checked out some alternative health remedies I also see this happening: they are held hostage to some other companies who are profiteering by the sale of literature, herbs and whatever have you.

So, for me it is right back to square one: do your own research. Anything that requires 'faith', 'belief' in order for it to work smacks of the occult, self-hypnosis or whatever. Our son-in-law found a remedy for a ganglion tumor after five surgeries failed to remedy his condition but then he gives God the credit for the healing. Did God use this ointment? Could be, but he gives God the greater glory. It may well be this is where we will be headed if the political situation in our country deteriorates and medical 'assistance' will have evolved into euthanasia for folks deemed unworthy of life.

BTW, I think God would receive the greater glory if we would first off consult Him about our health needs. If he says to use something; banish something from our diet; change our lifestyle, behaviours; that we must do. We do well to consult God in on how we treat our ailments.

ginnyrose

2008/11/7 15:48Profile
boG

Las Vegas, NV

The question in Christianity is never, never, "does it work?" That is the core of the Emergent Church, seeker-centered church, and any other relativistic or humanistic religion.

As it is not a question of whether something is good or bad but whether it is righteous. Whether it comes from above, that is, from the Throne of God.

2008/11/7 16:02Profile

Quote:
I've had recent brushes with Christians who both perform and receive these treatments. I'm standing against them in my local area but would like more info. does anyone have good info or articles on them? (Or stories of harm done through them)

There are two aspects to these types of treatments. The practical and the spiritual.

Some practitioners opt out of the spiritual because they just don't believe in it and there is a lot of hokus pokus connected to the art that the benefits are lost in the minds of those that believe it's all bad.

I have had both treatments and I frequently have my feet done by a reflexologist. The person that performs this treatment is a true blue Christian believer who embraces the teaching of the cross, but not the teaching of Eastern mysticism. She opted out for the spiritual side and thankfully because it just doesn't make any sense to include it.

I like reflexology because I like the pain associated with it. The pain is fleeting but the benefits afterward is very satisfying.

Acupuncture is ok, but I didn't care for it. I think you have to really be in a bad way physically to want this type of treatment.

I have heard from superstitious brethren say that reflexology is wrong. But when you think about it, it's no different than a back rub, for that is all that is being performed, a vigorous massage on one's feet.

2010/10/9 9:36
EverestoSama

Re:

I must state, that one of my students is a reflexologist, and based on what she's told me of it, (though I'm not going to say this goes for EVERY reflexologist) the practice has so far been a tad bit misrepresented on this thread. Just throwing that out there.

Think about this for a second too. Have you ever had a headache, and then maybe your mom (or whoever) has you lie down and put your feet up while they massage them heavily for a little while, and when you get up your headache has gone away? Should we frown upon this practice, because somewhere else in the world someone claims that it comes from the power of qi, when there's obviously a rational scientific explanation behind it?

Americans have to be careful not to assume that we have "IT" when it comes to all medical knowledge in the world, and that all the other countries come crawling to us from their witch doctor huts to get proper scientific medical advice. And that anything else that isn't practiced by western medicine is some sort of Satanic hokus pokus.

You know that they have medicines, herbal treatments, and practices over here in Japan that I'd never even heard of in the states? And most Americans have probably never heard of them either. Plus the Japanese are known to be one of the, if not THE healthiest people in the world, with one of the longest life expectancies.

Who here off the top of their head can explain how taking an Advil actually works to fix their headache. I mean like REALLY in detail. I'm not saying that no one knows. Just that many who take them for pain relief have no idea. I had gotten a canker sore in my mouth this week, and doing research on where it came from the answer from the American scientific medical community was unanimous; "We really don't actually know".

Now, back to reflexology, if you go to a place like this, and they want to burn incense to a statue and shoot qi into your meridians while they quote a mantra, I'd stay very far away. However, if this is not the case....

2010/10/9 10:32Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy