SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Learning Who God is, What "Church" is

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TracyInMD

Maryland, USA

Learning Who God is, What "Church" is

This is complementary to the "Learning the True Gospel" thread.

For about a year, I've been experiencing and understanding a different God than I had known in the past. Don't worry, I know God doesn't change! But, last year I learned some attributes of God that I hadn't known before and my life has been so much richer. But it's been a few years in which I've experienced these paradigm shifts: prayer, church, evangelism. It's like, I have these stirrings, then WHAM, God will bring a believer to shatter the false belief and also bring better definition to the stirrings. Then I spend time scouring scripture, and God confirms things.

I ALREADY didn't believe that what we're calling church isn't what God calls church (from 2 years of studying scriptures). What blows me away is now I hear of someone saying so boldly what was my stirring (they may not be saved...that's why they're carnal). It is devastating news, because despite their carnality, God has caused my heart to love them, and they are many.

It's this terrible burden of "I will be their God, they will be My people." God is making things clear to us in our day, I believe. I've come so recently to believe we are being deceived in many ways. I MYSELF have been. Yet, I believe that this is an answer to prayer. We need these understandings to move along the path God has for us.

Oh, how I want to know the REAL God, and not some imaginary denominational (or even personal) God. May You help us, Lord. I'm inclined to ask "What are some good books on who God is?", and there are some good recommendations on the Heart Cry web site, but I also think we might want to put our eyes squarely on scripture and go at it like ignorant children.

God, bless, brothers and sisters. I'm so thankful for this site!

2008/10/30 21:48Profile
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Re: Learning Who God is, What "Church" is

Quote:
What are some good books on who God is?

[b]Knowledge of the Holy[/b] by A. W. Tozer.

Or, if you prefer super huge books,

[b]The Existence and Attributes of God[/b] by Stephen Charnock. This one in particular was one of Leonard Ravenhill's top 10 recommended books.

2008/10/30 22:12Profile
TracyInMD

Maryland, USA

Re:

Thank you very much! I'll check them both out. I see that there's a lot online, too. In case this helpful to anyone: [url=http://www.heavendwellers.com/hdt_knowledge_of_the_holy.htm]Knowledge of the Holy[/url] and [url=http://www.stephencharnock.com/existence-and-attributes-of-god/discourse-1-on-the-existence-of-god/]Existance and Attributes of God[/url].

--Tracy

2008/10/31 12:05Profile
EvangelistC

Re:

Chaple Library has a lot of good books you might want to check out as well. Like Arthur Pink's Attributes of God. Great book.
www.mountzion.org

2008/10/31 16:00Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Learning Who God is, What "Church" is

Tracy; I would recommend you read J. I. Packer's
"Knowing God" a classic book. Also for your
consideration "Experiencing God" by Henry
Blackaby.

2008/10/31 17:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.