SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Interpretation of Tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HeartSong

Interpretation of Tongues

There have been many discussions of tongues here on SI, but I am trying to find out about interpretation of tongues. To my recollection, I have only heard it talked about once (to any degree) and that was in relation to Smith Wigglesworth. He asked the Lord for interpretation, and after a period of time the Lord gave it to him.

Several things:
1) Does anyone here interpret tongues?
2) Has anyone seen someone else interpret tongues?
3) What is the purpose in interpretation of tongues?

I did a word search on BibleGateway.com on the word "interpret" and noticed several things:

- 1/3 of the verses are in Daniel

- all of the references in relation to tongues are in 1 Corinthians

- all of the references in the New Testament are preceded with the word "by" or "being" (excepting the ones in 1Corinthians and 2Peter)

- most of the references in the Old Testament are preceded with the word "the" - and none in the Old Testament are preceded with "by" or "being"
______

As per 1828 edition of Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language:

interpret

INTER'PRET, v.t. [L. interpretor, from interpres.]

1. To explain the meaning or words to a person who does not understand them; to expound; to translate unintelligible words into intelligible ones; as, to interpret the Hebrew language to an Englishman.

--Immanuel, which being interpreted, signified, God with us. Matt.1.

2. To explain or unfold the meaning of predictions, vision, dreams or enigmas; to expound and lay open what is concealed from the understanding; as, Joseph interpreted the dream of Pharaoh.

3. To decipher.

4. To explain something not understood; as, to interpret looks or signs.

5. To define; to explain words by other words in the same language.
______

Any observations on the subject would be appreciated.

2008/10/30 0:39Profile
HeartSong

Re: Interpretation of Tongues

Since no one is saying anything, I went looking on the web and ran across this:

Interpretation Of Tongues
By: Steve Kuhlke

Not every manifestation of speaking in tongues is necessarily to be interpreted. When reading the Bible, it is quite clear that that there are different types of manifestations of tongues and some are to be interpreted and some not. Interpretation of tongues is the last stronghold of confusion that Satan uses to keep Christians from pursuing the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Some Christians say “all tongues are supposed to be interpreted”. However, when one takes a closer look at scripture, it becomes clear that not every form or type of tongues is to be interpreted. Paul writes in I Corinthians “…if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful”. So, why would Paul’s mind be unfruitful? Obviously, Paul was experiencing and practicing a type of tongues that were not to be interpreted. Otherwise, why would he make the statement that his mind (natural mind) would be unfruitful? And, it is noted that in this particular verse, Paul says “pray” in the spirit as compared to saying “speak” in a tongue. So, what’s the difference? Paul mentions nothing about interpreting his “prayer” in the spirit.

Then, Paul says in the same chapter “…I will sing in the spirit…”. So, now we have even a third type of manifestation of tongues, all in the same chapter! Does Paul say anything about interpreting his “singing in the spirit”. He absolutely does not. You can’t find it. Quite clearly, Paul is talking about several different types of manifestations of tongues. They are all supernatural and they are all given by God through the Holy Spirit. Only a most selective interpretation of I Corinthians 14 can even try to say that all tongues are to be interpreted and then any such position fails in the context of the whole chapter.

A very important principle in scripture interpretation is that any one scripture must be interpreted in the context of all scripture. That means, a reader cannot go through the Bible and simply “pull out” the particular verses (or passages) of scripture that he or she may feel comfortable with concerning a particular topic. And, then apply only these select few verses in an attempt to interpret what the Bible is saying on the subject. To do this is called “proof texting” and it leads to erroneous interpretation of scripture.

It is important to measure any idea or interpretation we may have concerning a topic in the Bible, against every scripture and every place in the Bible that the particular topic is mentioned. Then the reader, after meditation and prayer, can draw an informed and enlightened conclusion about the matter.

Publish Date: August 25, 2005

2008/10/30 3:11Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying." (1Corinthians 14:5).

The gift of tongues and the interpretation of tongues are both gifts of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit will not move on someone to give a message in tongues unless He also gives him or another the interpretation. The gift of tongues with the interpretation is equivalent to the gift of prophesy operating in the Church.

I have been in many churches and meetings where these gifts were in operation, and when it is the real deal, it will always edify the Body of Christ and exalt the Lord.

I have been in services where there was spontaneous singing in tongues. This is praise to God and it is always harmonious and supernatural.

There have been many times in my personal prayer life when I did not know how or what to pray, and the Holy Spirit has given me utterance in tongues.

I know that there are many that participate in these forums that either believe that tongues have passed away or even that they are of the devil. All of God's gifts are good, and when used properly, decently, and in God's order they will always build up the Church.

Mike

2008/10/30 7:49Profile
HeartSong

Re:

It must be an awesome sight indeed - when all of the gifts come together - when all of the pieces are in place.

2008/10/30 13:35Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

by HeartSong:
"It must be an awesome sight indeed - when all of the gifts come together - when all of the pieces are in place."

Amen! What is awesome is when Jesus is recognized to be the Head! All of the ministries, all of the gifts are from Him. The gifts of the Spirit are a beautiful thing when accompanied by the fruit. The gifts are not for us as individuals but are for the Body. It is the love of God that causes the gifts to function properly.

2008/10/30 15:37Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
The gifts are not for us as individuals but are for the Body.

But first we must recognize ourselves to be the Body - not ours, but His - not our way, His way.

And then His love will flow forth in splendor and beauty.

2008/10/30 15:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy