SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : On the Lighter Side

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

I just thought it was silly, silly walks, songs about Spam and Lumberjacks....but what do you expect from a Yankee?! :-P

2003/8/22 22:22Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi
I don't think most Brits have thought through the implications of Python humour either, but if you remember that it all culminated in "the life of Brian" it should have been sufficient warning for Christians. That film which was financed by George Harrison of the Beatles, a Hindu, Hari Krishna devotee, you will understand why it was one of the most aggressive blasphemies ever produced.

Don't want to spoil your enjoyment of the 'silly walks' but there is something much more ominous in Python creations.

2003/8/23 2:54Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Understood.
Kind of pulled those out of my past. Life of Brian
was so long ago (before I was a Christian) that if I were to see it now I am sure I would have a different opinion.
Wasn't right to snatch a little quip I thought was funny without taking into account the nature of where it came from.I will edit that out.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I need to be more cautious in thinking things through before I jump to post in an attempt to be "cute".
Thanks for the correction.
Proverbs 9:9
Mike

2003/8/23 8:20Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Mike
Bless you, but I hadn't intended my note to be any kind of criticism. There is a lovely verse which says 'to the pure all things are pure' and I would be reluctant to bring others into subjection to my own conscience. Its just that as our chatting is public I thought I would just mention it. There is, however, a cruel streak in Python and we do well keep it in mind.

2003/8/23 14:20Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

And Bless you Ron!
Didn't take it that way at all. I thought it was helpful, a good reminder...."a little leaven...
_/crsschk\_

2003/8/23 19:37Profile
discipleonthemove

East Yorkshire, England

Re: The Life of Brian

Just out of interest - why exactly was the film blasphemous? Somewhat irreverent, extremely childish and vulgar to be sure, but I don't see the blasphemy in it. Brian was never supposed to be Jesus.....the whole point was that he was MISTAKEN for the Messiah. In fact, Brian was to be seen at one point in the crowd listening to Jesus preaching the sermon on the mount! I don't really want to start World War III on this account, but fail to see why Christians get so bent out of shape over things like this....particularly when they refuse to even watch it to give it a proper appraisal (e.g. Malcolm Muggeridge in the famous confrontation between him and the Python crew on TV).

2003/8/29 17:19Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re: On the Lighter Side

I once heard of a church who consistently had a vibrant verse or insightful quote on their marquee near the street. One day it simply read, "Sign broken. Message inside this Sunday."

2003/8/30 0:20Profile
discipleonthemove

East Yorkshire, England

Re:

One Sunday morning, a man and his wife were getting ready for church. The husband was sitting on the bed, looking rather glum, so his wife asked him what the matter was. "Well," he explained "I really don't feel like going to church." "Why's that, dear?" his wife asked. "It's all the people," he replied "they don't like me, and I don't like them. Can you give me one good reason why I should go?" " I can give you two." said his wife "For one, you're forty-five years old, and for the other, you're the pastor of the church."
(Many a true word is spoken in jest!)

2003/8/30 17:53Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
(Many a true word is spoken in jest!)

lol

here's one for you guys:
A preacher's little boy inquired, "Daddy, I notice every Sunday morning when you first come out to preach, you sit up on the platform and bow your head. What are you doing?"
The father explained, "I'm asking the Lord to give me a good sermon."
The little boy said, "Why don't he?"

2003/8/30 23:23Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re:

You all might enjoy this sites:
[url=http://www.geocities.com/Sk8rzChik3/cleanhumor.html]Clean Humor[/url]

2003/9/1 13:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy