SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : On the Lighter Side

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

On the Lighter Side

On the heel's of my 'stoogy 'ol booger's' comment's, thought I would start something on the 'lighter' side.

Since what we discuss in these forums is of a serious nature and I would never intentionaly make light of the topics....

There still is a joy of the Lord and I believe God has given us the gift of laughter. I find myself taking [i][b]myself[/b][/i] to seriously sometimes, so with that in mind....Humor us!
Only let it be with the thought of "what is edifying".

Here is a couple I borrowed from CT.

[u]Bumper Sticker Theology[/u]

Lord, save me from your followers.

Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

"I don't question [i][b]your[/b][/i] exsistence."-God

Forget world peace-
visualize using your turn signal!

2003/8/11 11:05Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: On the Lighter Side

here's my favourite bumper sticker
"if you haven't changed your mind recently, how do you know you still have one?"
His/Yours
Ron B ;-)

2003/8/11 11:52Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

My current bank has a sign by the counter which reads
"coinage is only acceptable when presented in specific denominations"
Whenever I see it I have a little chuckle and lift my heart in thanks to God that He doesn't work on the same basis!
His/Yours
Ron B
;-)

2003/8/11 11:54Profile
PJ

Re: On the Lighter Side

Funny Thought!

David Wilkerson preaching on TBN.

PJ

2003/8/13 23:49Profile

Re:

PJ,
Back in the 80's when I didn't have a TV and was a young overzealous christian I read "Set The Trumpet To Thy Mouth" by Wilkerson. In that book he obviously is AGAINST TV and then I learn that he was going to be on TBN. That really turned me off to him at that time because it showed me he was willing to compromise his values when it was convenient to him or would help his ministry.

Along another line which I think is kind of humorous about Wilkerson. In the 80's he was really hot on J.B. Stoney and C.A. Coates ministry so he made contact with the Plymouth brethren group that publishes this ministry. They are called Kingston Bible Trust. Anyway,The Brethren ask him him if he watches TV and he said YES, obviously BEFORE he wrote trumpet, and they said..well we cannot fellowship with you as long as you have a TV it's against everything we believe! He asked them if they drank alchohol and they said... yes we do. He said...well, I can't fellowship with you if you drink alchohol. It's against everything I believe!

This was relayed to me by someone who knew Wilkerson. I always thought it was a funny story. I apologize in advance if this turns over anyone's sacred cows!

Kevin

2003/8/14 0:07
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

I was listening to [url=http://66.139.79.202/sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=2130]Leonard Ravenhill's Memorial Service[/url] and its intresting to note that even though Ravenhill was a very serious man, he still had a treffic sense of humor. If you listen to any of his sermons you will pick this up quite easily.

2003/8/14 14:59Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Here's a couple I thought I would share;

Q. What kind of motor vehicles are in the Bible?
A. Jehovah drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden in a Fury. David's Triumph was heard throughout the land. Also, probably a Honda, because the apostles were all in one Accord.

Q. Who was the greatest financier in the Bible?
A. Noah. He was floating his stock while everyone else was in liquidation.

Q. Who was the greatest female financier in the Bible?
A. Pharaoh's daughter. She went down to the bank of the Nile and drew out a little prophet.

Q. What kind of man was Boaz before he married?
A. Ruthless.

In Christ,

Ron

2003/8/21 12:01Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Ravenhill's humour

Ravenhill had a very keen sense of humour. I have heard him preaching to American audiences who were sometimes a little slow on the uptake with his humour. I think it was always just bubbling under the surface. It is a particular kind of British humour which has its origin around Liverpool, and which is slightly surrealistic. I think he probably amused himself as much as his congregations.

It was said of Spurgeon that he never went out of his way to tell a joke, or to avoid one! If you have read Spurgeon's lectures to his students you will know that he had an amazing sense of humour. His classes must have been helpless with laughter at times.

Here's a Spurgeon legend; He was rebuked on one occasion by a fellow Christian who thought Spurgeon ought not to use his horses on 'the Sabbath'. (He lived some way from the Tabernacle). Spurgeon is reputed to have replied "These are Jewish horses, they rested yesterday!"

2003/8/21 16:05Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean?..

Or am I in the wrong part of England?

Quote:

I think it was always just bubbling under the surface. It is a particular kind of British humour which has its origin around Liverpool, and which is slightly surrealistic. I think he probably amused himself as much as his congregations.

Agreed, I wonder how many ever picked up on that...

2003/8/22 0:47Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi
You are in the wrong part of England. Python was self-conscious surrealism, and always barbed. Liverpool humour is a recognition of the incongruous that lies just under the surface of ordinary life, and much more wholesome than Python. Python is anarchistic, Liverpool is irreverent. It is the humour equivalent of lateral thinking. Ravenhill saw double meanings in his own utterances, and sometimes interrupted himself with little asides which gave a wonderful insight into the humanity of the man, but didn't really progress his line of thought.

Does anyone know which English country Ravenhill came from? Lancashire or Yorkshire I would guess.

My home town was about 50 miles from Liverpool.

2003/8/22 2:50Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy