SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Information on ACLJ phone call

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
rbanks

Information on ACLJ phone call

Anyone have any information about American Center for Law and Justice & Jay Sekulow. I just received a phone call asking for 100 to $200 on sending a letter to the UN to stop persecution of Christians in Muslim areas.

Do you think this is biblical to use money, the law and justice to try and stop persecution?

I am against all the works of the devil…be it persecution, abortion or any other sin. Jesus said his kingdom was not of this world…if it were my servants would fight. We find in the scriptures that the disciples fought with prayer and in the power of the Holy Spirit. I didn’t find them trying to fight the system with courts and laws the way many are doing today.

Hey, I’m just asking anyone with some godly insight and wisdom concerning this matter. Your opinion counts for something.

Thank you!

2008/10/27 15:11Profile
Compton

Re: Information on ACLJ phone call

Quote:
Do you think this is biblical to use money, the law and justice to try and stop persecution?

My two cents is "yes". If we have the means to end this, we are compelled to.

Quote:
We find in the scriptures that the disciples fought with prayer and in the power of the Holy Spirit. I didn’t find them trying to fight the system with courts and laws the way many are doing today.

Let's be careful how we frame our questions. These Christian lawyers aren't trying to 'fight the system'...they are trying to save lives.

Paul appealed to Caesar on his own behalf. I'm sure the Apostles would've appealed respectfully to secular authorities on behalf of their persecuted brethren. Certainly we know Tertullian wrote to local officials on behalf of the Church.

The position of the ACLJ is that we just can't let these people die.

Blessings,

MC

2008/10/27 15:54Profile
rbanks

Re:

Thanks brother for your reply. I realize that in some situations you have to go to the Law.

Do you think we can stop the persecution by sending names to the UN? I just don't understand the giving of money and others matching it. I also don't know that sending names on a paper is going to stop these radicals.

2008/10/27 16:05Profile

Re: Information on ACLJ phone call

Quote:

Paul appealed to the authorities based upon his being a Roman citizen. He didn't just lay back and let them abuse him.

The question is not whether these believers should turn the other cheek... the question is will you allow your brethren to be beaten and killed and do nothing? It's one thing for them to turn the other cheek in love, it's quite another for you to do nothing to help them.

"As you've not done unto the least of these my brethren... you've not done it unto Me."

rbanks, I'm not picking on you or anything like that, but I believe you're thinking too hard about this. In scripture we see Paul organizing financial giving to help the church in Jerusalem that was being heavily persecuted. Now granted, that money was to help them in their poverty... but we are commanded to pray for those who are enduring persecution.

Brother Wrumbren (I know I just spelled that wrong!) underwent years and years of persecution in Communist jails in Romania... and when he was released he founded Voice of the Martyrs in order to get the word out of what was happening behind the Iron Curtain. It was two-fold... it was so that Christians in the West could pray effectively for these brethren, and it was so that the West would but political pressure on countries that were violating the most basic of human rights.

If we were to say that donating to the ACLJ was somehow unscriptural because of the "turning the other cheek" principle... then it could be argued that it is unscriptural to even pray for those who are being persecuted.

Here in America... where being persecuted for your faith amounts to some kid in high school getting nick-named "preacher-boy"... it's easy for us to sit here and ponder questions like whats being posed on this thread.

There's nothing wrong with you thinking about this, and asking... I'm glad you asked.

Krispy

2008/10/27 16:27

Re:

Quote:
Do you think we can stop the persecution by sending names to the UN? I just don't understand the giving of money and others matching it. I also don't know that sending names on a paper is going to stop these radicals.

I think their motive is to raise awareness. These countries that are allowing, even promoting persecution know what's going on. But what groups like the ACLJ are doing is trying to make the world aware of whats going on. It has to start somewhere.

Krispy

2008/10/27 16:30
rbanks

Re:

Well brethren if this thing is really legit and we can give them our name as a christian to put on a letter to the UN, that with enough names we could stop our brethren from being persecuted then I am all for it.

I mean it would be worth missing a couple of meals or maybe more to help our brethren. I do want to encourage every christian to do all we can to help our brethren. If this thing is totally legit and right then every christian come on and join me and lets call the ACLJ and give something and put our name on the letter.

How could we not do something if it will make a difference and keep our brethren from suffering.

2008/10/27 16:40Profile

Re:

You can trust the ACLJ.

Krispy

2008/10/27 16:49
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I also don't know that sending names on a paper is going to stop these radicals.

Well I tend to agree with you.

However, I think it's acceptable and honoring to God for them to try.

Blessings,

MC

2008/10/27 16:51Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I mean it would be worth missing a couple of meals or maybe more to help our brethren.

I think you are right.

MC

2008/10/27 16:53Profile
rbanks

Re:

There web site is www.aclj.org. Click on the “take action” button at the top right.

This is what I found on their website.

Add your name to the group of 87798 people who have already signed using the Internet!

End Anti-Christian Bigotry!

Around the world, Christians are being increasingly targeted, and even persecuted, for their religious beliefs. Now, one of the largest organizations in the United Nations is pushing to make a bad situation even worse by promoting anti-Christian bigotry wrapped in the guise of a U.N. resolution called “Combating Defamation of Religions.” We must put an immediate end to this most recent, dangerous attack on faith that attempts to criminalize Christianity. Please read the form below carefully and declare your membership with the ACLJ by adding your name to our PETITION OPPOSING THE ORGANIZATION OF THE ISLAMIC CONFERENCE.

PETITION OPPOSING
THE ORGANIZATION OF THE
ISLAMIC CONFERENCE

To: The United Nations’ High Commissioner of Human Rights

I stand with the American Center for Law and Justice and Chief Counsel Jay Sekulow in grave opposition to the Organization of the Islamic Conference’s resolution entitled “Combating Defamation of Religions.” I recognize this measure as anti-Christian in nature and fully believe it stands in stark contrast to the concept of religious freedom outlined in the International Bill of Human Rights.

As a person of faith, I respectfully call on you to exercise keen judgment and act in swift opposition to this resolution. Our focus should remain on improving existing international law to protect the religious rights and free practice thereof for all individuals.

(Then you are to fill out your information and then submit. I am assuming you can sign it with out being obligated for any certain amount of money but can make a donation as you feel led. I have to leave for now, so I will have to come back later to do this.)

2008/10/27 17:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy