Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : humorous note

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

In these days of testing and trial, we need to remember that "the joy of the Lord is our strength." Somtimes we can take ourselves too seriously, and we need to know that "a merry heart does good like a medicine."

David Wilkerson tells a story that I find to be quite humorous. David Wilkerson is probably one of the most sober and serious minded Christian leaders that I know of in the Body of Christ. He doesn't put up with a lot of foolishness and nonsense.

One day Brother Wilkerson was walking in Times Square and he was carrying a very heavy burden, and apparently this could be seen by all those that he came into contact with. Brother Wilkerson walked by a crack addict, and the man saw the sad expression on the man of God's face. This crack addict attempted to try to cheer up David Wilkerson. He said something like: "Come on man, cheer up, its not that bad." The Lord spoke to David Wilkerson through this crack addict.

No matter how bad things get in this world we should remember the words of Jesus: "These things I have spoken unto you that in me ye might have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer,I have overcome the world." (John 16:33).

Mike

Mike

2008/10/29 9:21Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
as someone who's ancestry includes a LARGE dose of Cherokee Indian... and belongs to the tribe because of my bloodline... and has many relatives who still live on the "reservation" in Cherokee, NC... I found the joke quite funny

This reminds me of our daughter's sister-in-law whose mother was Polish - yes, she is an immigrant to the USA from Poland. She loved Pollack jokes, collected them, in fact. She knew more then anyone else which makes the joke spoken from her funnier then ever.

I have to tell y'all this one: when I was in Bible School in 1966 or 1967, one of our instructors, Bro. Henry - an ordain pastor, told us this one in the "Person and Work of the Holy Spirit" class (I think).

"If there were a plane load of _______ pastors and there would be mid-air collision, they would have committees selected on who would care for the wounded and the dead before they ever hit the ground!"

I have shared this with our pastors and for some reason they did not think it was funny at all. The humor of it falls flat. We as a class roared with laughter!

ginnyrose

2008/10/29 9:32Profile

Re:

Quote:
when I was in Bible School in 1966 or 1967

I was born in 1967... now [i]that's[/i] funny!

Quote:
This reminds me of our daughter's sister-in-law whose mother was Polish - yes, she is an immigrant to the USA from Poland. She loved Pollack jokes, collected them, in fact. She knew more then anyone else which makes the joke spoken from her funnier then ever.

I have a guy that I do a lot of business with who is 100% Jewish thru and thru... from religion to his looks. He has told me more Jewish jokes than I ever knew existed.

My cousin married a Mexican guy, and he tells the best Mexican jokes. I'm not kidding! He's a hoot.

One of my favorite jokes to tell involves the Lone Ranger and Tonto... but I'll refrain from posting it here because I dont wish to exaserbate the debate. (that kinda rhymed...) But most white people might say it would offend American Indians, but as one I can tell you... it doesnt.

It's an interesting dynamic... people who are not in a particular "minority" group deciding what is offensive to "minorities".

Krispy

2008/10/29 9:46
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Well, I think it depends who is around. I work in a multi-cultural environment and belong to a minority within our mostly African and Asian church.

I have some Polish, Indian or British friends that I can tell jokes and we laugh together. I know I am not offending them.

I remember I while ago, I was offended by a church leader who met me a the entrance saying. Oh, no _____s please! At that time I could not take it. I and my wife were very offended at that time and he did not apologize to us; he only said that he did not mean it that way. It does not matter what the joke teller things, it matters what the other person thinks about and ultimately what God thinks about. So if you can laugh wholeheartedly about American Indian jokes, that may be good for you, but not for everyone.

Later the Lord showed me that I should die to what I was offended about anyway because I was holding on to my dignity. Nevertheless the leader should better not have said that to cause someone to stumble. Well, I will rather miss a joke than to offend someone. The Holy Spirit many times convicted me to go back to people and apologize about comments I made.

A Jew may tell me Jewish jokes, but I as a German cannot presume on the liberty to do likewise.

narrowpath

2008/10/29 14:28Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: humorous note

The original story (about predestination) reminds me of a quote from celebrated physicist Sir Stephen Hawking in his work "A Brief History of Time: "[i]I find that even people who claim everything is predestined look both ways before crossing the street[/i]."

:-P

2008/10/29 15:00Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
"I find that even people who claim everything is predestined look both ways before crossing the street."

Stephen Hawking may be more right in his evaluation of predestination then what Calvinists want to admit: they are not consistent. Opps! I better quit before I get embroiled in some hair splitting!

ginnyrose

2008/10/29 18:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy