SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : War on the Saints by Jessie Penn-Lewis and Evan Roberts

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
SonsofLevi

Richmond, Va. USA

War on the Saints by Jessie Penn-Lewis and Evan Roberts

The Lord blessed me with this book at a much needed time for me. If anyone is familiar with it I could use some prayer support. After I received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit out of my ignorance I got in a passive state and opened myelf up to the enemy through some errors in thinking patterns and "practicing the presence" left an open door for a counterfeit from the enemy. The Lord has shined in a light so I can be delivered. This book has been a great blessing and help for me to take back ground. However, having been to the enemies camp and through the process of taking back ground and emerging into liberty, having knowledge of the foe I have been getting assailed with intensified malignity on account of that knowledge. So I could definitely use prayer support as I go through deliverance. Thanks and may our dear Lord Jesus sanctify you all wholly, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless at His coming. He who calls us is faithful, He will surely do it.

2008/10/24 11:27Profile
HeartSong

Re: War on the Saints by Jessie Penn-Lewis and Evan Roberts

Hello SonsofLevi,

Welcome to SermonIndex. I was reading this book not too long ago . . . it is not for the faint of heart.

2008/10/24 13:39Profile

J. Penn - Lewis is thought by some to be the primary reason the Welsh Revival was quenched. In it's height, Roberts quit leading, and moved to her estate. Evidently there were some issues with unruliness and "order.", and the manifestation of devils in the meetings. Penn-Lewis influenced Evans to see it her way. This book, WAR ON THE SAINTS was written there. 6 months after the revival, which had a strong social impact...in that the Pubs shut down, and the jails empty and arrests were Nil...not counting a general repentance from the coal mines to the fabric mills...everything reverted back to it's former realm of unbelief.

Evans tried to make a comeback, but it could not happen. He never returned to ministry of any kind. He never married, and became a poet...mired in general obscurity.

Mrs. Penn-Lewis continued as a speaker, and was well known in her circles and at various conventions.

She Prophesied, and recorded them, and believed that her prophecies held the same authority as the Word of God, and God himself spoke as she did.

One of the phenomena of the Welsh revival was worship; the singing of hymns and songs, for hours and hours during their meetings. There was not , in general , anointed Apostolic preaching and instruction as it's base....and in my opinion was the core reason why it crumbled. Eventually, as I see it, it was turned over to a controlling woman , who saw fit to discredit it; and Evans Roberts was culpable. It is a very sad testimony in the annuls of revival, but one that we should glean from.

Revivals must be stewarded by mature and holy men who cling to the Word alone, and have the authority to prune it when necessary, and to nurture it...by allowing the Lord the Spirit to rule alone.

Considering Penn-Lewis? Maybe it was her who was warring against the Saints.

2008/12/7 11:11
HeartSong

Re:

Brothertom,

Did you read "War on the Saints"?

If so, what did you think of the book?

2008/12/7 13:57Profile
psalm1

Quote;
'However, having been to the enemies camp and through the process of taking back ground and emerging into liberty, having knowledge of the foe I have been getting assailed with intensified malignity on account of that knowledge. So I could definitely use prayer support as I go through deliverance.'

You may want to seek the Lord on fasting.
Just my thoughts.
God bless you!

2008/12/7 14:43Profile
JoanM

Re: Penn-Lewis

BrotherTom

I have not really read much more than a chapter of Penn-Lewis and I have zero interest in defending authors BUT [b]I would like to read the source [/b]of your report of concern regarding her and Evan Roberts. My interest is that it deals with revival.

I also noticed you said: [i]"Revivals must be stewarded by mature and holy men who cling to the Word alone, and have the authority to prune it when necessary, and to nurture it...by allowing the Lord the Spirit to rule alone."[/i]

What you said is a bit similar to something Penn-Lewis wrote in The Centrality of the Cross, Chapter 9 - The cross and revival. These are note quotes:

[u]Re Leader[/u]: [i]"knows the mind of the Spirit in himself, and is able to discern it in others.... to speak 'as the Spirit gives utterance, and to know the right moment and the right message.... The leader must never let go the reins of the meeting, leading throughout, although he may outwardly appear to be taking no part at all....continue to inwardly hold it, by watching, and readiness to intervene .... when God gives charge of a meeting to any one, he is responsible to hold it for God, and to rely upon the Holy Spirit in directly quenching any inroads of the spirits Of Satan .... be in victory himself, so that he is able to lift the meeting .... give his message .... as he does so the Holy Spirit will work, and the meeting will be [u]mastered by the truth[/u], thus forestalling the devil, who will otherwise get a hold upon it."[/i]

The difference I notice is, [u]at least here[/u], Penn-Lewis speaks more about the Spirit of God.

2008/12/7 19:12Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Tom,

I have read about the Welsh revival and the influence that Jessie Penn Lewis had on Evan Roberts, and as you have said, some even blame her for ending the revival because she talked Evan Roberts into withdrawing from the meetings.

I have read War on the Saints and found it to be helpful in learning about some of the tactics of the enemy to bring in deception in believers that are seeking a deeper relationship with the Lord, especially in times of revival.

I know that it is very easy to get off on a tangent when studying about the working of demons, because we can get our eyes off the Lord and start seeing demons behind every bush.

I do know that Jessie Penn Lewis had a lot of influence upon Watchman Nee and T. Austin Sparks, and you can see it in many of their books. She did write some excellent books on the cross of Christ.

I have read that Evan Roberts was close to a nervous breakdown right before he left the revival and moved in with the Penn Lewis family.

I am very interested to know what some of your thoughts are on Jessie Penn Lewis and her ifluence on Evan Roberts, and if you believe that Evan Roberts withdrawing from the revival resulted on it coming to an end.

Mike

2008/12/7 20:02Profile

Re:

I began reading J P-L about 17 years ago and one of her booklets was very helpful to me, as I was sanctified at the time I found it, but was really led into it by Watchman Nee witht he normal Christian life.

War on the Saints is good and helped me to see how dangerous passivity is. However, JPL did not teach entire sanctification in the holiness traditional understanding of the word and I believe this is the reason for some of the probems that arose and why the Welsh revival did not 'stick'. She and Evans were not equipped to handle it fully.
Oh and hello! :-)

2008/12/20 12:24
onenone

oh boy did i read the book
year 1994 and like one of the writers here also redirected from watchman nees normal chritian life.
its hard to know what kind of war i have passed through...daily struggle with the spirits that had got into my way...paradoxixally through infilling of holy spirits and guidance from the likes of benny hinn in good morning holy spirit.
at least the miracles and slaying in the spirit that i could do have ceased.but i still hacve this confusion and manifestations and i am as much afraid of jesus as any spiritual entity.

this has been a war that has no head and tail.... where not even the bible can be said to be accurate. many yeasr down the line... while acknowlding jpl "seemed" to have helped me... i can also trully say in truth her writings,that seem to work... are nowehere to be found din the bible.
so it has been therapy combined with re activting the mind and generrally alot of wars evern with humans, as ai reclaimed my ability to say no... how sad and tedious and tiring, and confusing.

but i have a hope.
one day. i will be rrid of these things.even jesus.because he seemed to have been part of the problem.yes i know jessie is talking about him.its that i cannot guarantee what she says is true.plus her other books send me shivers.very sorry for that.
that has been the power of whatever it was that was attacking me... and now i see quite some other pple.
may all find their liberty from this strange ailment called passivity.

grateful jpl reader.

2010/7/18 14:00Profile
tunner

Re:

Quote:
Considering Penn-Lewis? Maybe it was her who was warring against the Saints.

you got it!

2010/7/26 22:04Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy