SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Love of God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sscr01

The Love of God

We, certainly, cannot trust in the emotions of our own hearts to determine if we love God and others:

"LET NOT THINE HEART DECLINE TO HER WAYS, GO NOT ASTRAY IN HER PATHS. For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.

HER HOUSE IS THE WAY TO HELL, going down to the chambers of death." Pro 7:25-27.

What does the Scripture tell us about loving God and others?

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15.

Jesus said, "HE THAT HATH MY COMMANDMENTS, AND KEEPETH THEM, HE IT IS THAT LOVETH ME: AND HE THAT LOVETH ME SHALL BE LOVED OF MY FATHER, AND I WILL LOVE HIM, AND WILL MANIFEST MYSELF TO HIM." John 14:21.

When Jesus gave us the "Two Greatest Commandments," He was quoting the law. Deut 6:5; Lev 19:18:

"By THIS we know that we love the children of God (Greatest Commandment #2), when we love God (#1) and keep His commandments. FOR THIS IS THE LOVE OF GOD THAT WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: and His commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:2,3.

"And THIS is love that we walk after His commandments." 2 John 6.

HIS CHURCH KEEPS HIS COMMANDMENTS: "And the Dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Rev 12:17.

HIS SAINTS KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." Rev 14:12.

"As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions ("of the law" 1 John 3:4) from us...TO SUCH AS KEEP HIS COVENANT AND TO THOSE THAT REMEMBER HIS COMMANDMENTS TO DO THEM." Ps 103.

Covenants have conditions.

Even in heaven, the Lord makes quite a statement about His Covenant:

"And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple The Ark of His Testament: and there were LIGHTNINGS, and VOICES, and THUNDERINGS, and AN EARTHQUAKE, and GREAT HAIL." Rev 11:19.

At the very end of the Book of all books, the Apostle John wrote, "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.

2008/10/19 10:09Profile
itg3712

Re: The Love of God

Thanks for the Revelation 22:14 quote: "Blessed are they that do his commandments...that they may enter in...". It's a good antidote to the large amount of anti-law teaching that I've heard.

Like the proverbial genie from the bottle, I think that our attitude should always be: "His wish is my command". Every breath and whisper and hint from God's Word that provides a glimpse of what pleases God becomes a command to those who love God. It is good and right to want to please God -- not to earn justification but to advance our sanctification and our delight in our Creator and ever-living God.

When Jude 1:21 says: "Keep yourselves in the love of God", I believe is an exhortation for Jude's hearers to love God more. We can all love God more.

And, when 2 Thessalonians 3:5 says, "And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God", I believe it is a prayer that Paul's audience would give more love to God and not necessarily for them to know or experience God's love more.

"We love him because he first loved us". God's love was accomplished in giving the Son, Jesus Christ. God remains the same and doesn't change or evolve. Our love for God is an evidence of relationship with Him who first loved us. Our love for God is an evidence and outgrowth of the new birth and ongoing sanctification.

Now (to all who read this): "[May] the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another [in the church], and toward all men [outside of the church]" (1 Thess 3:12). See also Philippians 1:9.

2008/10/25 8:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy