SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Pub Situation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

God bless you, son! You keep on doing what your convictions instruct you and you will never regret it..would that more young men - and a lot of older ones, as well - have the nerve and strength of character to take unpopular stands.

Like I said in another post on this thread - I admire you!

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/10/17 23:42Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Thanks for the clarification brother Paul

The trouble is, seems as if many(including myself in my recent encounter) are saying/hearing and refusing to judge the wolves in sheepskin, they are saying they can't tell what's on one's heart, who is and who is not !!??

While i'm now thinking, that despite so many Scriptures in Matthew, Jude, 1John, 1Cor, even with all the warnings from the O.T....we are still convinced with preachings such as:

Judge not lest ye be judged..(out of context of course)
God loves the sinners just not their sins (so yoke with them and close one eye to sin!)
You never know people's motives (what else can be the motive behind sin? Sin!!)
You never know whats on one's heart (how else can sin manifest one's heart? Sin!!)

Unctionless teachers/preachers, I am tempted to say, often come with not-so-healthy fruits.

Bear with me, I'm really reproving myself here for refusing to judge when I ought to, and ended up almost in disaster.

Praise God, nonetheless, especially for Christ's Blood and His Word.

2008/10/17 23:44Profile
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Re:

Christ in me the Hope of Glory ! Thanks for your encouragement ginny.

2008/10/17 23:48Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Joe 12 Pak

[i]Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.[/i] Rom 14:22

Quote:
I was thinking to myself today that Krispy is SI's Joe the Plumber. (That's meant as a compliment)

:-)

Coach, father, defender of the faith and ... a certain King who has a very good book attributed to his name.

All sentiments truly meant aside I do not know if this is a coming to defense more than just a sideways approach ...

For all the years of similar postings on this subject matter I cannot but wonder if [i]sometimes[/i] personal convictions might not be better kept to silence and to, well oneself. That verse above stood out recently maybe a week ago and it wasn't the concluding part as much as;

[i] have it to thyself before God[/i]

Herein lies the difficulty of jumping into what perhaps is the middle - unbiased, recognizing and hearing all thoughts on this matter. Not to defend nor to promote.

Amongst mature Brethren a discussion of convictions is helpful and edifying and here ... it seems kind of a tricky business. On the one hand the participants are of this mind, mature but the wonder goes out to that very verse, at least the implications ... [i]Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.[/i] 1Co 8:13 towards those that may be peering in from afar, those possibly looking for that elusive loop hole of justification, a whole myriad of possibilities. Careful seems to be the word - Forgive me, I am working through my thoughts as I go.

Now, my experience ... I hesitate but I love [i]good[/i] beer. Trouble is, it no longer loves me. That is to say that for some ... strange reason ... it appears I have developed some sort of allergic reaction to it and not just beer just alcohol in general. My sinuses shut down and I get an instant headache if, on those very rare occasions I would have partaken in a (singular) Guinness or a Sam Adams. (An insert here, there is also something to be said about [i]with a meal[/i], absobtion and so forth). Going into full disclosure here I do prefer beer over the sweet, syrupy and caffeinated beverage of choice (Coke) though I generally have one with lunch. So it is O'Douls for me, the non-alcoholic beverage.

Some background. "Joe six-pak" had nothing on me, my buddies and I were far closer to "Joe twelve-pak" for a great number of years. Everyone brought their 'twelver' of Coors light. And they just kind of all merged together in the fridge where we would gather for that male bonding rite of American sports- Yes, all of them
;-)

Throw in the bong and well, you have the picture completed. Hardly a defense, an explanation, an assessment of days gone by. Well, enough of that, if they ever make a non-alcoholic Guinness that still tasted exactly like the original ...

Where I want to go with this is back to the beginning. I perfectly grasp where our brother Krispy is coming from and just as well our dear brother Paul West to make them standouts not excluded from everyone else. To be clear, I once posted something of a tirade derived from Act 2:15 ([i] ... not drunken, as ye suppose[/i]) against the unfathomable corruption of the text by much some of the Charismatic realm equating the Holy Spirit's actions as somehow similar, comparable ... [i]welcomed[/i]. It can get the blood boiling to even make mention of it here ... All of scripture denies it adamantly, drunkenness is foolishness, folly, trouble, pain, shame - ruinous and in every culture, epidemic. To be frank I still find it ... somewhat spurious that it is labeled a 'disease' - Sin is perceived as a 'disease' as well and ... maybe that is not a good parallel and would open up the wrong can of worms. Alcoholism, as it is termed is rampant and so are other vices of escapism - drug's, food, sex, entertainment and ah, the mere mention falls right into the comparable category - making all things equal, the defense\justification mantra. You know it seems like this is really preaching to the choir and almost a complete waste of time, what am I trying to say? Each to his own? Or maybe it is after all a good thing to hear some hard words and strong opinions [i]against[/i] the practice, even in very light doses. Here is the crux or trick of it all- If you are seeking justification I would suppose you are already under a sense of personal conviction and ought to hear and internalize the admonishens. Defending (self defending that is) is almost always a sign in my estimation of justifying that which we are either not sure of or that which we are sure of but do not want to come to terms with. It is the bane of modern day 'prophets' being put to the test having to explain their way out of their words and proclamations rather than speaking and simultaneously shutting up, end of subject. It is similar to a multitude of things that we come up against - honesty and honest dealings - admitting when we are wrong, changing our minds when presented with better evidence, we are often so proud and so afraid of losing an estimation in a mans eye that we shrink and cower back, cover, explain ... defend. It is really a great farce are more often than not we know it, convictions more often, most often, come from the inside out - The outside in, those that our own bring forth, through the melon, the eyes and ears and senses usually finds the center already there, finds food to feed on.

It's really something I must say. You see, I spent decades in a state of altered conscience, under the influance of so much - all the aforementioned partying and even my love for music and as a life long goal of becoming a musician kept me in this state. I have gone on here about it before, but [i]for me[/i] I had to forgo it, all of it, even the "Christianized" music because of the tweaking and manipulating of the senses, emotions, the soulishness of it all. Again, [i]me[/i], personally, my conviction, but also my new reality - I just cannot deal with being altered in my conscience, no matter what it comes from, even pain killers are difficult to deal with, I cannot be 'buzzed' on any level and cannot square things that are half-baked, half truth - in denomination, doctrine, character, disposition yet for all that, those things are still in need of extraction, the hypocrisy of my own life, the lies my own thoughts tell me, the failings and falterings and foolishness ... the creation groans, I groan.

Quite the ramble, but to come back to the original post here, this;

Quote:
10. I am vulnerable to the opposite sex.

This, this is so telling and so penetratingly honest. This is admittance and I share the same, practically and abstractly if you will, in principle. Ah for more [i]conviction[/i], full circle back to Romans, [i] Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God.[/i] Just as well, [i]Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. - Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.[/i] I would suppose there are those who can go places where others cannot go and maybe this is the line that many cannot figure out when it comes to who we can or cannot 'hang around with' to put it coarsely. The straddle of keeping company with unbelievers and so forth ... [i]to what level?[/i] comes to mind, to what conviction, [i]Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth[/i].

Will leave off with an impression I got earlier this year. I know the atmosphere is often hostile towards sports and even, maybe too often rightly suspicious of celebrity 'conversions', whoever they may be. Was watching the baseball All-Star festivities and specifically the Home Run derby prior to the main game and was very impressed by Josh Hamilton of the Texas Rangers. Not only did he do something never done before (Hitting more home runs in one 'set' than any before him) but the mentions of his faith and a lone comment that spelled out everything I needed to hear. This man knew his own distrust and from the telling he never went [i]anywhere[/i] without his mentor, that he had submitted himself to this discipline knowing his disposition, temptations, especially those that would come along in his line of work. There was something just in the way he carried himself that spoke louder than words but this I found just tremendous, this was more than 'talk' this was practical evidence for all to see, all his teammates, everyone around him. My imagination reeled at the questions that must be asked all the time for the [i]why[/i] of it all from onlookers and fans etc. Faith in action. Here is a bit on him;

[url=http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/012708dnspowebrangersz.218a1b6.html]Faith brings Texas Rangers' Hamilton back from the brink[/url]

2008/10/18 10:14Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

I really do appreciate all that has been shared on this subject, because this affects each and every one of us. There are many Christians that might not see drinking to be a stumblingblock to them but have a problem with over eating. I really think that this is more of a problem for Christians than drinking, and when we read the scripture that Paul gave "I buffet my body", I think that we interpret that as eating everything on the buffet at the restaraunt.

The point is that we make many rules and regulations about eating and drinking but if we are being led by the Spirit within us, we would never do anything that would dishonor the Lord. The Spirit of God would always convict us of anything that is not in line with His will for us.

My wife and I were in an Italian Restaraunt several years ago, and I thought it might be nice to order a glass of wine with my meal, but I did not feel right on the inside about doing this, so I ordered ice tea instead. It was a short time after this that a man walked up to our table that I recognized as being one of the prison inmates that I had ministered to in the past. Now what kind of witness would that have been if he would have seen me drinking that wine? It could have even been a real stumbling block to him.

The difference between being taught by man about whether or not it is wrong for Christians to drink, and then having the Spirit of God reveal it to you is as different as night and day.

I would like to share a little story that Brother Watchman Nee shares in the book "The Normal Christian Life".

"I went, late one summer, for a prolonged period of rest to a hill-resort where accommodation was difficult to obtain, and while there it was necessary for me to sleep in one house and take my meals in another, the latter being the home of a mechanic and his wife. For the first two weeks of my visit, apart from asking a blessing at each meal, I said nothing to my hosts about the Gospel; and then one day my opportunity came to tell them about the Lord Jesus. They were ready to listen and to come to Him in simple faith for the forgiveness of their sins. They were born again, and a new light and joy came into their lives, for theirs was a real conversion. I took care to make clear to them what had happened, and then, as the weather turned colder, the time came for me to leave them and return to Shanghai.

During the cold winter months the man was in the habit of drinking wine with his meals, and he was apt to do so to excess. After my departure, with the return of the cold weather, the wine appeared on the table again, and that day, as he had become accustomed to do, the husband bowed his head to return thanks for the meal—but no words would come. After one or two vain attempts he turned to his wife. ‘What is wrong?’ he asked. ‘Why cannot we pray today? Fetch the Bible and see what it has to say about wine drinking.’ I had left a copy of the Scriptures with them, but though the wife could read she was ignorant of the Word, and she turned the pages in vain seeking for light on the subject. They did not know how to consult God’s Book and it was impossible to consult God’s messenger, for I was many miles away and it might be months before they could see me. ‘Just drink your wine’, said his wife. ‘We’ll refer the matter to brother Nee at the first opportunity.’ But still the man found he just could not return thanks to the Lord for that wine. ‘Take it away!’ he said at length; and when she had done so, together they asked a blessing on their meal.

When eventually the man was able to visit Shanghai he told me the story. Using an expression familiar in Chinese: ‘Brother Nee’, he said, ‘Resident Boss wouldn’t let me have that drink!’ ‘Very good, brother’, I said. ‘You always listen to Resident Boss!’

Many of us know that Christ is our life. We believe that the Spirit of God is resident in us, but this fact has little effect upon our behaviour. The question is, do we know Him as a living Person, and do we know Him as ‘Boss’? - From "The Normal Christian Life" by Watchman Nee

2008/10/18 11:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Brother,

I appreciate your post...I was compiling our church bulletin when I needed more inspirational pieces to fill it up. I felt led to come to SI to search for something, what I did not know. Then I read your post...and it seemed right to me to take parts of it and include it our bulletin. In fact, I removed what I did have and used this post instead.

God must have inspired this post, brother. Yes, when one posts one never knows who will end up reading it and be challenged.

Also appreciate Mike's post - he is right on. One should never confuse personal opinions with Biblical directives - it is tantamount to idolatry. Something we all have to deal with on a regular basis - no one is immune from its lure.

Just thought I would share this and hope it will be an encouragement to you all....

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/10/18 12:30Profile
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re:

Excellent quote Brother Mike F.

Quote:
Many of us know that Christ is our life. We believe that the Spirit of God is resident in us, but this fact has little effect upon our behaviour. The question is, do we know Him as a living Person, and do we know Him as ‘Boss’?

Solomon said after a life of justifying all sorts of behaviors and then concluding that he had been chasing the wind:
Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14 (NKJV) 13Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all. 14 For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil.

It all comes down to whether or not we really want to please "the Boss" and to that matter of love... love that dares not for the sake of self displease willfully one who loved us so much to lay aside the splendor of heaven, condescend to become a man and as a man die so brutal a death to pay for my sins.

God bless all of you who have written so amicably on this forum.

Clint

P. S. I surely am sorry that it took a backache to get me the time to visit these forums as much as I once did, but it has been a pleasant experience (the visit, not the backache).... hope to see some of you in a couple of days, Lord willing. :-)

2008/10/18 12:31Profile
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Re:

Brilliant post

Quote:
When eventually the man was able to visit Shanghai he told me the story. Using an expression familiar in Chinese: ‘Brother Nee’, he said, ‘Resident Boss wouldn’t let me have that drink!’ ‘Very good, brother’, I said. ‘You always listen to Resident Boss!’

2008/10/18 22:51Profile

Re:

Quote:

joeSOC wrote:
Brilliant post

Quote:

That's good!

2008/10/18 23:00
mamaluk

Re: From pulpit to pub

What’s one glass of wine with dinner?

Event: After all, the man of ‘god” ordered one. One should have a glass too, just to be polite. Followed by the man of god saying, “I have desire, ….flatteries…...more flatteries…I’d like to see you drunk…”. What a nightmare!!

Here’s one glass that called upon grief from the watching angels.
Here’s one glass that wrecked one’s conscience before God.
Here’s one glass that caused an emotional scar for the child of God,
Here’s one glass that almost destroyed many Blood-bought souls,
and Here’s one glass that robbed the glory of God.

Saints, can you be confident that you would not ever find yourself in this scenario? That's what I was most certain of, after blessed by God to be a faithful wife and mother for 30 years.

Behind the pulpits, in the pub. Same difference.

Be warned, sisters.

2008/10/19 17:32Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy