SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Outlaw's Prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

The Outlaw's Prayer

My grandfather, who was not a born again Christian, loved Johnny Paycheck. Paycheck was a vile perverted man... but I remember one song that he did that was one of my grandfather's all time favorite songs... called The Outlaw's Prayer.

Now that I'm older and wiser and know the Lord... this song is a real picture of how the church is viewed today. And I believe for the most part is a [b]correct[/b] view of the church today in America.

So... without putting any stamp of approval on Johnny Paychecks music, here is are the lyrics to that song, and hopefully it will prick some hearts this morning.

Krispy

[b]The Outlaw's Prayer[/b]
by Johnny Paycheck

You know, I worked the Big Packet show in Fort Worth, Saturday night, We had all day Sunday to rest and relax, before I caught another flight.
So I decided to walk down town an' get myself a little fresh air. Before long, I found myself in front of a big church on the corner of the square.

Boy, I could hear that singin' way out in the street, sure was a beautiful sound. So I just walked up the steps an' opened the door an' started to go inside an' sit down. But before I could, a young man walked over to me an said: "Excuse me, Sir, But I can't let you in with that big black hat, those jeans, that beard an' long hair."

So I just left, went back outside, sat down on that curb, an I thought to myself: That's the house of the Lord. That guy's got alot of nerve. Tellin' me I can't worship anywhere I please. So right there, in front of that Church, I just knelt down on my knees.

I said: "Lord, I know I don't look like much, but I didn't think you'd mind. I just wanted to be with your people, Lord: it's been a long time. A while ago, a saw a wino over there in the alley, all bent over in tears, An' I thought how one stained glass window, from this Church, would feed his family for years.

"Then there's those fine cars parked outside: too many for me to count. Made me think how people walked for days to hear your sermon on the mount. Then there's those fine ladies in the choir, Lord, singin' like they really love it. Last night, they were dancin' on the front row of my show: drinkin' beer, screamin' "Sing 'Shove It'."

"You know, even John the Baptist wouldn't be welcome in this place, with his coat made of Camel hair an' sandals on his feet an' a long beard on his face. You know, Lord, when you come back to get your children, an' take 'em beyond the clouds, to live forever in Heaven with you: well, I'd sure hate to be in this crowd.

"You know, Lord, I'm not perfect; some even call me no count. But I'll tell you: I believe a man is judged by what's in his heart, not what's in his bank account. So if this is what religion is: a big car, a suit an' a tie, then I might as well forget it Lord, 'cause I can't qualify.

"Oh, by the way, Lord, right before they kicked me out, didn't I see a picture of you? With sandals an' a beard. Believe you had long hair too. Well, this is Paycheck, signing off. I'll be seein' you Lord, I hope."

2008/10/12 8:39
LiveforGod

Re: The Outlaw's Prayer

I agree with you my brother. To be honest, reading those words made me think about Sheldon's What would Jesus Do book. Man does it make me sick. But you know something brother, in reality i doubt that such people are trully God's children. What sadens my heart the most is that those people who look like Christians, but indeed aren't, give this foul notion of what Christianity is all about, thus many are daily being deceived and in turn end up thinking themselves to be right with God, when in reallity they are a thousand miles away. Brother iam a nobody to judge anyone, but sureley Jesus wolud not act the way so many so called Christians are acting.

By the way, it is good to be back in sermonidex. God bless you my brother.

2008/10/12 9:26Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

I like it.

[i]"Lord, I know I don't look like much, but I didn't think you'd mind. I just wanted to be with your people, Lord: it's been a long time.[/i]

There is an admittance woven throughout that at least is honest enough. Perhaps an aside but praying this morning had this verse jump up in my thoughts, partly due to the present circumstances of this economy and all the associated woes - The corruption and manipulation, the wonder of how much fear is driving all this, how culpable we may all be, what my own contribution is and so on ... Not sure if this happens to others but often a verse will come to mind a bit tortured or backwards -

[i]In the days of prosperity - consider[/i]

Seemed paradoxical, when it is really stated;

[i]In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: God also hath set the one over against the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him.[/i] Ecc 7:14

2008/10/12 10:58Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

How extremely sad!!!!!

It kind of reminded me of a happenstance ... A homeless man went downstairs where there was a church board meeting, while upstairs we were having a prayer meeting. The pastor brought the man up to my husband and said, 'He'd like to know about the Lord, do you think you could help him out, we're busy downstairs with church business' ...

Of course it was a great blessing for us as a small group to introduce this man who had NEVER heard the name of Christ to salvation. It was a powerful and wonderful moment!

The one thing I consider is that regardless of what churches do, the churches are made up of people, who need to be aware of what is going on around them. There should be someone who is aware enough of what is going on that they would see what's up and go outside the doors and sit on the steps and minister the gospel to the unconventional. It comes down to the individual responsibility of the person who names themself after the name of Christ...regardless of what the "church" does.

As I have heard on more than one occasion from a preacher friend of mine: "Even if everyone around you is messed up and not living the Christian life as they ought to, what does that have to do with you? What are YOU doing? You are responsible for the light that is within you. You stand even if every one else is bowing down to the idol."

Lord, help us to see how You see!

Just a thought...
Love in Christ,
Lori

2008/10/12 12:31Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I'd sure hate to be in this crowd.

This is a timely subject for me right now.

The age old problem for the religous crowd. Some start out fine. Some long ago were born of the spirit but have hardened their hearts. Some were only born of religious family names that are on the plaques hanging around the building. They are embattled and mistrusting. They sing hymns of grace but are always plotting ways to keep undesirables away. As Jeremiah put it They ready their tongues like a drawn bow; with lying, and not with truth. They are the church-owners association, and sinners can only be a part of their church after they somehow manage to lose all their tattoos, body mods, facial hair, and also get a decent paying job.

They may represent the church-owners association, but they are not representative of Christ.

To the wornded and brokenhearted,
whom the world has disowned
there's a savior, a man of sorrows
flowing mercy from his wounds.

To the guilty whose held captive
by the chains of yesterday,
their's forgiveness like a river
that can wash your stains away.

To all the hungry and the thirsty,
come to the table of the Lord
and know that there are no strangers
in the household of God

To the fearful and the doubting
who've forgotten their first love
there is a father and he's waiting
to welcome you back to home.

To all the hungry and the thirsty,
come to the table of the Lord
and know that there are no strangers
in the household of God.

Blessings,

MC

2008/10/12 13:10Profile

Re:

Quote:
The pastor brought the man up to my husband and said, 'He'd like to know about the Lord, do you think you could help him out, we're busy downstairs with church business' ...

I would like to think that if y'all hadnt been there the pastor would have taken the time himself to lead the man to the Lord.

But it is an interesting and telling thing that he said as well. Maybe it isnt an indictment on him, but it is an indictment on the church as a whole.

So many churches today are so program driven that they are no longer Holy Spirit led. Anything that deviates from the "program" is seen as wrong.

We need to get away from that mentality and begin being led by the Holy Spirit... and should that ever happen on a large scale, we wouldnt even recognize the church anymore. It would look completely different!

Krispy

2008/10/13 7:30
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Quote:
I would like to think that if y'all hadnt been there the pastor would have taken the time himself to lead the man to the Lord.

It is a great possibility, and whether he would have or not it was the statement that he made was so telling, and yes, I do believe it is an indictment on the "church" as a whole.

Plus I believe that we were there and that it was an appointment set up by God. It was a blessing to us and it was a blessing to him, and what the pastor did was a part of that.

Quote:
So many churches today are so program driven that they are no longer Holy Spirit led

Yes, I do think that one of the issues is that due to costs and expenses, focus on attendance and income have made the business of the church more of a corporation based business. I'm not trying to knock anything, it just seems to have been a trend for quite awhile.

And one of the issues within any corporation is what is their business based on? What drives their business, what brings in the needed income? And when customer service becomes such an important factor: the "customers" time, their convienience, and their "satisfaction" becomes all inclusive.

Which seems to be at odds with the "program" of being led of the Holy Spirit.

I have been to churches where what the Holy Spirit wanted to do was most important; but the services sometimes lasted for 3 to 4 hours- they were blessed to us, there were people saved, there was a sense of fellowship missing within a majority of "church businesses", there was opportunity for other members of the body to exercise their gifts and talents. But some people didn't like to visit much due to the long services.

It really is a wonderful thing when God runs the churches business!

Just one perspective.
Blessings,
Lori

2008/10/13 10:13Profile

Re:

Quote:
I have been to churches where what the Holy Spirit wanted to do was most important; but the services sometimes lasted for 3 to 4 hours- they were blessed to us, there were people saved, there was a sense of fellowship missing within a majority of "church businesses", there was opportunity for other members of the body to exercise their gifts and talents. But some people didn't like to visit much due to the long services.

You have to ask why people dont like to visit because of long services. I've been in services like that... started around 10:30am and lasted until about 3 in the afternoon because the Holy Spirit moved among His people. It seemed like we were only there for an hour! Didnt seem like 5 hours at all.

I can understand people who have a medical condition, or perhaps the elderly, having trouble with a long service like that. I'm a Type II Diabetic... I have to eat on schedule or I could experience a low. For me, if I know it's a possibility, I have something to eat right there with me just in case.

But anyway... I'm reminded of the story in Acts when Paul was discussing the scriptures with one particular church, and it went on all night long. This is the story where the kid fell asleep and fell out of a window, and Paul laid on him and God brought the kid back to life.

Look at how long the 120 were in the upper room!

One thing our "fast food" microwave generation knows nothing about is "tarrying". And I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at it either. But we sometimes need to take our watches off... forget about the game on TV (set your DVR... lol) ... and wait upon the Lord.

[b]Isaiah 40:31[/b] [i]"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.[/i]

Krispy

2008/10/13 10:34
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Quote:
One thing our "fast food" microwave generation knows nothing about is "tarrying". And I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at it either. But we sometimes need to take our watches off... forget about the game on TV (set your DVR... lol) ... and wait upon the Lord.

AMEN!!!
I think that has something to do with the "cost of revival" and our struggle, in this fast paced society of counting God's time with more value than our own.

We all struggle with time, with our own perceptions of other people, of our perceptions of "church", with our desires to place God as first in our lives.

Yet, it is an absolute necessity to allow God to take the splinters and/or beams out of our eyes so we can see with a clear eye how to walk in the Spirit of God and see things as God sees them.

[i]Well you know we run around to buy the latest thing we need; oh, and I would be the first to say I'm guilty. But can we go the second mile to give a cup in Jesus name? Oh, you know we need to ask ourselves these questions..
For God so loved the world that He gave,
He gave and gave,
He still gives today;
and the only thing He came to take away,
was our sin
so we could all begin to love His way.[/i]
(A Kelly Willard song)

Blessings,
Lori

2008/10/13 12:46Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I did a search on the web concerning Johnny Paycheck. I feel real sad about this man. He seemed to have a sense of what is right but failed to appropriate it into his own heart and life. Ditto to George Carlin. No one can write or speak like this unless they have a profound sense of righteousness.

So sad...

ginnyrose

2008/10/13 13:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy