SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : You Can Memorize the New Testament in 5 years

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Abe_Juliot

Southern California

You Can Memorize the New Testament in 5 years

http://www.greatpreachers.org/bible_memorizing.html

John Piper has a very practical article on Why we should memorize scripture and the benefits of this practice.

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/TasteAndSee/ByDate/2006/1799_Why_Memorize_Scripture/

Also, here is a link to John Piper sharing on "How to Memorize scripture"

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/AskPastorJohn/ByTopic/54/1795_How_do_you_memorize_Scripture/

You may find this site to be of some help also:

http://www.memoryverses.org/

God bless you! -Abraham

2008/10/11 0:53Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re: You Can Memorize the New Testament in 5 years

that is amzing and should be a delight for Gods people, is not Gods word our delight, this is really cool,

In Christ charlene

2008/10/11 2:41Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

brother are you working on 5 year plan/ This would really neat if there was other brothers and sister in our own fellowship doing this, that one could go over verse. with. WIth Christ we could do this !!
charlene

2008/10/11 2:49Profile
repentcanada

thank you for this brother, this is amzing. I just went a brother last weekend who has memorized 6 NT books, and I wanted to get on this. the first link you sent should help me get on track with this.

God bless us to memorize His Holy Word and esteem it more than our necessary food

2008/10/11 12:48Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I wonder if there is real value in memorizing the entire NT when you could just as easily pickup a copy and read it aloud? I could see the value of memorizing many key verses and passages of the NT, including verses that have had much personal meaning/impact for you... but the entire thing? Considering some things, such as that 90% of the gospel of Mark is found in Matthew and Luke, such seems a bit redundant, dont'cha think?

2008/10/11 14:18Profile

Re:

With most people practising Scripture memorization that I have known, it was a mental exercise or an evangelistic prep tool at best. Some knew the verses well, they could recite them out loud and impress people who liked such stuff (or anger others), but they often had no idea what the verses quoted meant (there was no depth to their understanding), and the truth spoken was not a reality in their lives as a result. Thus, to learn or memorize God's word is not enough. We must also [i]keep it in a pure and sincere heart[/i]. The psalmist said:

With my whole heart [i]I have sought You[/i];
Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You! (Psalm 119:10-11)

I believe that memorizing the word of God should not be a goal in itself (because then the focus is on us and its end will be self-serving), but rather that we should hide His word in our hearts in order to KEEP it (not just to have it memorized). Then by His Spirit this word will be made flesh in us; it will be living and powerful, and easily recalled.

There is a common misapprehension in the church that knowing large portions of Scripture "by heart" is surely beneficial and constitutes some higher spirituality. There certainly could be a correlation between the two. But I believe the Lord is more concerned with the condition of the heart which holds the Word than with the quantity of verses memorized or the amount of time spent reading. Many theologians nowadays know the Bible through and through, but many of those also have not known the One of whom it testifies.

May such a heart be found in us that we may bear much fruit:

Luk 8:15 But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, [i]having heard the word [u]with a noble and good heart[/u][/i], keep it and bear fruit with patience.

In Christ,
Slavyan

2008/10/11 17:48

Thanks for posting the memory information. I know many of us appreciate it. God bless!

2008/10/11 18:10
theopenlife

Re:

"Considering some things, such as that 90% of the gospel of Mark is found in Matthew and Luke, such seems a bit redundant, dont'cha think?"

Mark and the Holy Spirit thought otherwise. Every scripture is inspired and, I am confident, holds value worth memorizing.

Corrie Ten Boom, author of The Hiding Place, suffered in a Nazi Death Camp for several years. In retrospect she lamented that she had not memorized more scripture, and that others had memorized none. We do not know where we may be in twenty years, or twenty days.

I have heard of whole villages in the Alps dividing and memorizing the bible from house to house, so that when the scriptures were confiscated and destroyed by the Roman Catholic Church, the villages had a mental copy to re-write from. Because five or ten people in each house would all memorize the same section, they had a way of comparing and preserving the purity of the text. Again, we do not know where we may be in twenty years, or twenty days.

2008/10/11 19:59Profile

Re:

Quote:
Corrie Ten Boom, author of The Hiding Place, suffered in a Nazi Death Camp for several years. In retrospect she lamented that she had not memorized more scripture, and that others had memorized none. We do not know where we may be in twenty years, or twenty days.

Falling into a concentration or death camp, to use the words of the apostle Paul, would rather test not "our word" (or the verses we have memorized) but "our power" (or our character). So the issue, if God is willing to send us to such a horrible place, is whether our faith is solid. Whether in this trial we will remain faithful and [i]still keep that word[/i], even though we don't have a Bible any more for daily reading (no Scriptures are in sight) and we are tortured for our faith constantly. I believe that while it is day, while there is no persecution or imprisonment to hinder us, we need to get ourselves in such a place with God individually and collectively (while we also have the privilege of enjoying His written Word) that when the tribulation comes, we may be counted worthy to endure it without falling away. For what would such a departure from the faith be but a proof of our inadequate or mere intellectual knowledge of the Lord, Who can be real to us at church meetings and services but so distant when those outward conveniences are taken away from us? But may the Lord have mercy on us to keep us even after we have failed Him, for surely many of us will fall, but they shall be raised again:

Dan 11:35 And some of those of understanding [u]shall fall[/u], [i]to refine them, purify them, and make them white[/i], until the time of the end; because it is still for the appointed time.

So, to respond to your quote about Corrie Ten Boom, brother Michael, I don't think that having much Scripture memorized will be of much help then. I've heard some Richard Wurmbrand testimonies of the dungeons in Romania where he was tortured and brainwashed for fourteen years without a Bible at his disposal. There [i]the reality[/i] of his faith was tested because under such [i]real[/i] conditions the whole Scriptural knowledge he'd had had to become more than theory. Many saints of old had no Bibles; they attended no Bible studies and followed no Bible-reading plan (Abraham, the father of our faith, had no Bible). Let us not forget that. Yet, these men and women [i]were[/i] faithful to the Lord in dire circumstances because His Word was written in their hearts and they knew His voice so that the absence of a Bible, even in their memory, could not destroy their faith. In this sense, if we have done the will of God, we must rejoice when we're persecuted for it because this is God's time appointed for our refinement.

In Christ,
Slavyan

2008/10/12 4:12
Will

Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks a lot for these links Abe_Juliot! Now, let's get to memorising!

2008/10/12 4:28Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy