SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : SI Review in the Evangelicals Now Magazine

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 SI Review in the Evangelicals Now Magazine

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/july/en.gif[/img]
http://www.e-n.org.uk/

SermonIndex was recently reviewed in the July 2004 issue of 'Evangelicals Now' a current leading evangelical magazine in the UK. I was never informed at all of the review or content, it was scanned in by a brother in the UK for me. I think its an awesome thing but it is a very critical review as you will read and there are alot of assumptions that are not true, but overall there is some good advice also.

[b][url=https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/july/ENReview.jpg]Click here to read and see the entire review! (1.87 MB)[/url][/b]

2004/7/14 11:51Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re: My review of the "chatrooms"...

Hey there

When I first joined this site I was not to computer-savvy but, my attention was entirely on the downloads section. Had I not left my msn address open, the gracious members of this site would not have added me to their list of contacts, and I would not have had much incentive to join the forum…I am glad I did though. The forum is a very powerful form of fellowship once you become accustomed to it. I remember posting a few things and then coming across the community rules…I panicked because I had not read them before blindly posting! This church of ours, “Sermonidex”, which Greg so graciously hosts, is in a very small sense of the word, a new denomination in that we have our own rules that must be adhered to. These are not grievous rules if you take the time to read and meditate on them and if you come here with the right intent- that is, either to edify or to be edified.

Another thing that hit home after reading the review is that we are constantly under public scrutiny. Many times, I read something that requires an immediate response (as far as I am concerned) but many arguments arise from that “heat-of-the-moment”. I have resolved not to respond to something I feel very passionately about for at least a day, so that I can speak without the hindrance of emotion. Emotion sometimes detracts from logic, and my ability to communicate in a civil manner. Personally, I am VERY emotional and it is something that I have to check constantly, so as not to contaminate the threads on this site.

What can we learn from each other? We can learn the typical reactions of a broad range of Christians of different denominations, different cultural backgrounds and different measures of faith to our postulates and assumptions. We can bring down some of the walls between different denominations and draw closer to being like the original church in Acts, which did things of one accord. We can learn of the many misconceptions which, we ourselves have and other people may have about different doctrine and passages of scripture. We can learn which, subject we must be sensitive about with one another and which circumstances we must forbear one another. Others can exhort us in the faith with similar views, trials and lessons from this vapor of an existence we lead on earth.

Sometimes there are those among whose energy and zeal is a little misdirected in some subjects in the same way that my own energy is misdirected in other subjects. I suppose to summaries what I have learnt form the forum is this:

2 Timothy 2:22-26 22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. 24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

2004/7/14 12:58Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
This church of ours, “Sermonidex”, which Greg so graciously hosts,

When I read this qoute I thought about how sermonindex is in fact a well of living waters as it were where God is able to speak to us through His word and we are able to fellowship nearly like we were at Church every day.

I can't agree with many of the comments made. My impression of this site was clearly that it was about sermons. And they are not tucked away, either. I think the download counter speaks to this fact.

However way sermonindex is noised abroad and the vast wealth of sermons preached- I must say- nevertheless Christ is preached! And I therein will rejoice! Those who come to the site from reading the article will make their own opinions. God will bless! I thank God for this site!

-Robert

2004/7/14 13:28Profile
riki

Sweden

Re: SI Review in the Evangelicals Now Magazine

Well, I think it is interesting to read what other people think about the website, people that do not go here every day. Even though I do not agree with all things in the article, I believe it is always good to reflect over what is said.

Do people understand the intent of the website?

Could the layout be more plain? (When I think about it, maybe it could. For suggestions, just send me a PM, Greg... :-))

What about the ads?

Etcetera...

Concerning the ads, I think they are quite discrete, which is good. But you could of course question if there should be any ads at all. However, if we don't want the ads, many more of us would have to take our responsibility and support SI... ;-)

Anyway, you should always be open for change, things can always become better. Never take things for granted. However, I must say that you are doing a tremendous job, Greg. I admire your diligence! Keep up the good work! :-)

/Rikard

2004/7/14 15:45Profile
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Hi Greg,
Congratulations! I only got part of it read because it keeps reducing on me.

I do agree with everything I did read and then some.

How does it feel to be the Bishop of the largest online "CHARISMATIC" church in the Western Hemisphere?

What else could we expect from a ministry based in Toronto?

Eat your heart out Rodney Howard Browne! :-P

Clutch

2004/7/14 16:45Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
What can we learn from each other? We can learn the typical reactions of a broad range of Christians of different denominations, different cultural backgrounds and different measures of faith to our postulates and assumptions. We can bring down some of the walls between different denominations and draw closer to being like the original church in Acts

Yes Brother James exactly the reviewer of the article didn't realize that there is a variety of backgrounds and diversities in theology on this site. But the underlining purpose of revival and prayer on the site tends to be more arministic in nature.

Quote:
I can't agree with many of the comments made. My impression of this site was clearly that it was about sermons. And they are not tucked away, either. I think the download counter speaks to this fact.

I thought that also hehe I will pray about a few steps to make it more obvious even though I think the forums are a great aspect of the site and shows the continuation of the legacy of the workings of God in our day. God is seeking for men to rise up in now, where is the Elijah's of God?

Quote:
Concerning the ads, I think they are quite discrete, which is good. But you could of course question if there should be any ads at all. However, if we don't want the ads, many more of us would have to take our responsibility and support SI...

Brother Riki I would love to hear your comments or anyone else's on making this site better. Also great comment on the ads yes I would rather have no ads on the site, but due to the costs of running this ministry the ads are essential, I would need alot more people stepping up to become sponsors monthly even $5USD monthly. As this ministry expands the cost for bandwith and servers will be more. I have tryed my hardest to make the ads non-graphical and not-distracting while at the same time making it done in a good way for the advertiser so that they will get click thru's.

Quote:
How does it feel to be the Bishop of the largest online "CHARISMATIC" church in the Western Hemisphere?

Just for the record: Clutch is on a laughing gas tank 24/7. :-P

2004/7/14 17:08Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

The add was quite critical and was quite uninformed I believe. It only takes a little investigating to find that Calvinism and Arminianism exist side-by-side on SI. Yes there is in-house debate over the issue, but there are many members here who are on either side of the same table. The author would have discovered many posts quite favorable to the subject, but he probably only saw the "Calvinism 101" thread where we never did get to debate any issue do to some other problems...lol.

Ministers being able to upload their own messages, making this the "Christian Napster" is news to me. Obviously you can't. At times in the article I wondered just what site the author was reviewing. Showing that his research of this site was very poor and unprofessional.

His claim that the site is completely charismatic would have been put to rest if he'd only read on in the forums. He would have seen claims, not from charismatics but from charismaniacs, that we are actually a baptist site...lol. I guess when you're getting it from both ends of the spectrum you know you're somewhere in the middle8-).

The adds most certainly don't make Greg rich, but they certainly do help keep SI up and running. I've seen some pretty off the wall religious advertisements there, but I have looked at a few that were worth my time.

I do think that the download link should be a little more prominent. I had a hard time finding it when I first discovered SI a long time ago.

Clutch,

Bro. if you're just trying to be funny, well it's not working. It comes across as pretty offensive. Perhaps it's hard to tell just reading words instead of hearing any voice inflections and seeing facial expressions. If you're being serious, then you need to get your foot out of your mouth ;-) .

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2004/7/14 17:13Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

O.K. A review of the review.

First off I thought Jimm did a fantastic job for the article, how'd did that other guy get printed? :-)

A word about Clutch, I can assure you he was kidding! It's just Clutch and sometimes he may push it a little but I miss his humor...Moo!* (*It's a looong story, ask Ron {Philologos} about it sometime).

I think he definetly missed it as to what 'kind' of 'denomination' this would all fall under, how long he spent actually checking us out I suspect wasn't long. But that may be expected from a critic, I don't know how I would percieve of it in a glance, reading a couple of post's on any given day. It is also a charge that has been leveled here before, that I don't take to kindly to, if you haven't spent some time around here... Think a more honest remark would be, 'You can't pin these guy's down'. But if there is a word that I believe would sum us up, it would be this:

Truth.

That is what we are after, over and over again, we strive to understand just what is true.
How well we are 'doing' in this quest I don't pretend to know, but isn't that what we attempt to help each other find? By sharing our thoughts and experiences, our very lives in an open forum before the whole world. I don't find that many that are dogmatic around here, strong opinions certainly. For the most part the 'creed';

[i][b]
In essentials, unity;
In non-essentials, liberty;
In all things, love.[/i][/b]

Revival. At least he did touch on that.
Was puzzled a bit about "And the only substance is in the sermons. Directing a viewer to these sermons does not seem the central aim of the site"
Maybe Greg you should change the name to something more obvious :-?

"Beware too of anachronism"

[b][u]Anachronism [/b][/u]

"An error in computing time; any error in chronology, by which events are misplaced."

Unless I am confused, he really didn't believe that there was [b][i]actual[/i][/b] audio sermons of Spurgeon and Finney here did he?

Think some constructive critcism is good and he made a few suggestions, but oveall I too wonder if he had his sites mixed up.

Not well researched at all, but I do hope that he pops in and says hello, sure there would be some that would glady show him around the church...

2004/7/15 0:38Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Humour is a funny thing, sometimes.

Hi
I suspect that the real reason for this underwhelming revue is that the site committed a cardinal sin. In some circles to give less than 110% approval to TULIP is grounds for being cast into outer darkness. Reading between the lines you can see that the site's one redeeming feature was some scratchy Martin Lloyd Jones' messages; we would probably get a much lower rating now that these have been temporarily removed.

Humour is a funny thing, sometimes. :-? Personally no one, on this site, has yet offended me with their humour or their points of view although occasionally I have 'cringed'. Some folks on the site are more familiar with academic circles and it is easy to step onto people's toes in those circles. Others, like Clutch, who was a police officer are more used to the rough and tumble of the 'guys in the station'. We need to keep each other in mind and remind ourselves that this is a public forum, but I hope we can still have room for a little banter.

2004/7/15 4:34Profile
lwpray

Sweden

To throw in a "Sloppy Journalism" is perhaps to commit the same crime on this side, but this is what is to be found at the root of this article.

L. W.

2004/7/15 4:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy