Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Faithout the new Chrstian facebook

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
repentcanada

Re:

I am very thankful for facebook. I am using that you track down friends from past places and be able to talk to them about the Gospel as well. It is great. How can any of us sit comfortably knowing there are people in our lives we have not spoke to about eternity?

2008/10/3 15:09Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Rivqah,

That is the world... that is what we have to pray against, and engage in combat with on a Spiritual level. Yes, there is a lot of junk on facebook, but it is very much like the city streets of days gone by, it is where young people are gathering to communicate with eachother and discuss ideas... we can choose to be on those streets and letting our voices be heard, or we can climb behind the doors of our church and build up a barricade against the world, and let thousands of people perish in eternal flames.

Faithout is just that, a cop out... its Christians huddling together in fear seeking comfort in their own little clique instead of marching out triumphantly to break down Satanic strongholds.

2008/10/5 1:13Profile

Re:

Quote:

iansmith wrote:
I have two concerns about 'faithout.'

Firstly, if all of the Christians exodus from facebook (which seems unlikely) only to flock to a place like faithout, where does the Christian witness and evangelism on facebook go? I really don't see something like faithout engaging with the world, but running away from it. Like a monastary vs. a missions organization. Not to say that good things cant come out of something like faithout, but not many 'non-christians' are going to sign up for a Christian specific social networking site; so it almost seems like a place to pat each other on the back and get comfy... when a church gets like that its pretty much useless to Jesus -so why would a website be any different.

My second concern is much more practical. Social networking sites, if they're successful, make a lot of money with advertising etc. Google Adwords can make some sites millions of dollars alone. If this site makes money, where does it go? Does it go into the pockets of the creator, or into the work of the Creator?! Is this a ministry, or is it some kind of business opportunity for someone? I would like some transparency as far as the finances behind such a website before signing up for it -if it is a ministry, maybe the money should go to missions or to church planting, who knows.

Quote:

That is the world... that is what we have to pray against, and engage in combat with on a Spiritual level. Yes, there is a lot of junk on facebook, but it is very much like the city streets of days gone by, it is where young people are gathering to communicate with eachother and discuss ideas... we can choose to be on those streets and letting our voices be heard, or we can climb behind the doors of our church and build up a barricade against the world, and let thousands of people perish in eternal flames.

Faithout is just that, a cop out... its Christians huddling together in fear seeking comfort in their own little clique instead of marching out triumphantly to break down Satanic strongholds.

Ian, I do not agree. Actually, you do not seem to firmly fall on either side of the fence, so for now I will just suggest that each Christian should pray about whether or not they are to be here or there... Your role is not to dictate that or suggest your view as superior.

As for me, I was on facebook since the beginning and have had over 500 'friends' on my list. To each and everyone I have witnessed and answered many questions and gave direction when asked. However, lately, it seemed as though more garbage was finding its way on the 'news feed' and others were adding themselves to very questionable groups which I do not feel the need to subject myself.

I know of Christians that feel differently and they are staying with facebook, but for me I decided that I was leaving before I was introduced to faithout. Since faithout exists, or even one of the other sites, I will check them out, but not because I am 'cop'ing out or looking for somesort of comfort. Before I signed off, I sent everyone a heart felt, but Gospel truth message, which gathered me much suffering and sorrow. Most of those people are 'old' friends who are living in darkness because they choose that way of life. I gave them my contact information and strongly urged them to get in touch with me at anytime.

You be a witness on facebook. I will face God and open His book to seek His direction for me.

Matthew 13:57

57And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

For me, facebook, was old friends from my old way of life, hense no honor.

Quote:
... its Christians huddling together in fear seeking comfort in their own little clique instead of marching out triumphantly to break down Satanic strongholds

What is SI?

And very few, if any, ideas are passed along facebook (from my list anyway).

Blessings,
Brian

2008/10/5 4:14

Re:

I'm on Faithout and Facebook and plan on staying on both. On Facebook right now we have professing christain women who are making comments about how they are watching "Dancing With the Stars". They live for that. They even go to the extent of listing the programming schedule.

This is your chance to see what God sees everyday to a much, much, lesser degree. It's sad but we must be a witness and try and make a difference if we can.

2008/10/5 8:32

Re:

Quote:

Rivqah wrote:
This is your chance to see what God sees everyday to a much, much, lesser degree. It's sad but we must be a witness and try and make a difference if we can.

I do not disagree with you or Ian that it is a good way to witness, however, we do not all have the same calling, nor do we need facebook necessarily to 'see what God sees'. I need only walk outside...

2008/10/6 2:14

Re:

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=696

Get off facebook, BE A MAN by Paul Washer

NOTE:

Not that I support Faithout. I am signed up, but rarely (never) use it, especially compared to how much that I used to use Facebook, which I canceled months ago (and I am still able to be a witness!).

2009/3/11 1:27

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy