Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
sadly we have none in swedish

Christian, why don't you follow in the tradition of Luther and Tyndale? Start with translating some books of the NT into Swedish yourself, using the TR as a guide. If you don't have translation from the Greek directly into Swedish, use the Stephens 1550 interlinear and maybe a YLT on the side. Translate the English equivalent directly into Swedish the best you can. Use your acquired English skills and a Strong's Concordance to get the best word choice in Swedish and just have a go at it. See where God takes it. You never know what will happen brother.

2008/9/29 16:50Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
Quote:
sadly we have none in swedish

Christian, why don't you follow in the tradtion of Luther and Tyndale? Start with translating some books of the NT into Swedish yourself, using the TR as a guide. If you don't have translation from the Greek directly into Swedish, use the Stephens 1550 interlinear and maybe a YLT on the side. Translate the English equivalent directly into Swedish the best you can. Use your acquired English skills and a Strong's Concordance to get the best word choice in Swedish and just have a go at it. See where God takes it. You never know what will happen brother.

It would be an interesting project :-)

I have found some difficulties, i think all translators come up against this problem, some words do not exist in the new language.

For example, in almost all places where Paul greets in his letters he says often "Grace and mercy" and ect.

In Swedish we do not have the word Grace. In almost every case, the translators have used the word "peace".

And also, in Swedish there is no word for wicked. And many more. But I believe we need stick as close to the original without lose its content and meaning.

anyhow, some people are working on a translation in Swedish, i look forward to it. It is some "like-minded" people, and they do it on their free time and from own income so it is quite taking some time. But it would be a interesting thing to do anyway, i know the things i translated from English has always stuck deeper in me then when just reading it. So there is great benefits in projects like this.

It is very interesting to see how different some languges are. For me i often times feel English is a very powerful language. Swedish often times lack that "edge". My wife speaks Finnish and she says she feels the same way when she read the Finnish bible, it is a bit more power in it. I feel the Swedish translators if given a choice in translation, always go with the "less" offensive so to speak, the less powerful.

Also, i have found some books in Swedish from the 1800s , Spurgeons commentary on the psalms translated into Swedish. How wonderful they are! to have such a treasure in my own language, its very old style Swedish and probably much more archaic the kjv for Englishmen, but still its precious to me. I hope you English speaking people rightly value and appreciate what is given you in literature way. You have so MUCH of value for the soul. A lot of trash to.... but if one goes through history you have so much it is beyond logic.

I when i lived in sweden i almost wept one time, i found a used book on David Brainerds life from early 1900 in Swedish! not as thick as the english version but still. And later found some other good books.. and price from around 1 dollar to about if high price 5 dollars.

And if browsing some christian online bookstore, i see you can get so much for so cheap. Most people in the world, most christians can never have a commentary and would probably be lucky if they read two biographies.

And we swim in them, may we have a right sense of value of what we have. And when thinking of the sermons right here, the men, their life. At our fingertips. Their walk, their suffering, their revelations. We have so much.

Truly, we are a blessed generation, thinking that i would consider it a blessing if anyone, sat under ONE of these mens ministries. Sparks, Tozer, Ravenhill ect.... sitting under one such man would be a great privilige. And we have them by the hundreds.

i am drifting off here.

Christian

2008/9/30 16:00Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
In Swedish we do not have the word Grace. In almost every case, the translators have used the word "peace".

Very interesting post, Christian.

About the word "Grace". This is a word used very little in English apart from the Scriptures. It is used most often in contemporary situations when one is discussing the tardiness of paying your credit card/loan bill on time: Do you have a grace period in which to pay without incurring any penalties?" Apart from a similar situation, it is used very little.

However, if the Swedes would define "grace" as peace, is this not redundant? Consider
1 Corinthians 1:3: Grace to you and peace..." So, grace would have to convey a meaning different from 'peace'. So what is 'grace'? If you were to define it as "an enabling power from God to do his will" would this not be more powerful? would this definition not be more in line with the context? Many times context would define the meanings of uncertain words, or words that do not occur in another language. This is one reason why stories are so helpful: helps one to understand the concepts taught philosophically.

When sharing with people of different religions, e.g. JW's, Catholics, I will refrain from using theological terms, opting instead to use common English words, even it if means using two dozen words to describe what could easily have been done with one. The reason is because some will give these words different meanings then what is commonly understood. So, I would guess it would be with Bible translation. The rule is to communicate accurately the exact word, if possible, and if that isn't possible, use several words that will convey that meaning.

I have friends who are fluent in German. They prefer the German Bible over the English - the KJV! They say its meanings are clearer!

Yes, I know that to translate from one language to another has its problems. I am also bi-lingual. There are some poems, stories told in this language that you just cannot translate to the English with the same punch. In the other language one is left laughing - hard. In the English - it falls flat and the English wonder what is so funny about that?!

My thoughts,
ginnyrose

2008/10/3 12:01Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

in swedish bible, it is translated that verse from 1 Cor 1:13 like this "mercy and peace"

sometimes it is translated like mercifulness. but there is not a translation for grace, so they substitute this word , and the closest word is merciful.

2008/10/3 13:04Profile
JoanM

Re: Language and translation

[u]No word for grace in Swedish[/u]! I have read, here and there, similar grief expressed about other languages. We lost a lot at the Tower of Babel.

I, for one think that Hebrew is the best of the [u][b]broken languages[/u][/b] that man has (speaks) to convey God, the Word of God, as He reveals himself in the Old Testament. I also think, with rare exception, Greek is the best of the broken languages that man has (speaks) to convey God, the Word of God, as He reveals himself in the New Testament.

[u]What you point out about Swedish is true about English[/u]. I give an example from the night God revealed Himself to me as His Word, Jesus the Christ. I was struggling to translate “logos” into English. I had already learned that in Greek, when you “give/speak” logos, you give “the thing itself.” Logos is not rhema. Logos was what was what I was trying to bring over, into English in translating John 1: 1. Anyway in English, logos is not one word (one rhema). [u]It is at least three words: reason, Word and ratio[/u]. As I meditated and struggled on how I could bring those three, rather different words, over into English and into ONE English word, I had no idea what I was in reality trying to do. God must have because He revealed Himself to me as His Word, Jesus the Christ, the Son of God.

I look always for the logos of a person’s testimony. There is resurrection power there. Maybe you have noticed this in testimony? Very often people identify a specific Word of God that “dawned” on them (light dispelling darkness). Consider Revelation 12:11 “And they overcame him [Satin] by the blood of the Lamb and the LOGOS of their testimony [the Christ of their testimony] and they loved not their lives unto the death [followed Him through death].”

[u]Preaching[/u]. I also think that when God anoints His Word that is preached in any language, the Holy Spirit of God, repairs/supplies (it’s hard to find the right English word for this) what was lost to man at that Tower. May the way to say it is that the [u]brokenness of language[/u] in the world is bridged/covered. Light and a dawning occur. We lost more than the ability for all man to communicate with man.

We lost something of our ability to communicate the Word of God to our fellow man. It looks like our language(s) shows this. How many reports we have from individuals that God has used mightily, that the actual message they gave was not different from what they had given in times past. They say God anointed His Word or God, the Holy Spirit, was there.

We all know that the use, [u][b]for evil[/u][/b], of the unity of man (Gen.11: making a name for ourselves, and nothing restrained from man in his imaginations that lift themselves up against the knowledge of God) was a horrible attack on God, exposing the nature of man in our condition.

When we pray that God anoint the preaching of His Word, how important it is that there be NO making of a name for ourselves and NO imaginations that lift themselves up against the knowledge of God (with both the one who preaches and the one who prays).

[u]Reading the Bible in any language translation[/u]. I am thinking that when we ask God to “open His Word to our understanding,” in our daily time with Him, it is the same thing. The indwelling Holy Spirit in a sense “restores what we lost at the Tower” in an internal way and it pierces what we call in English both our heart and mind. The Spirit of God, takes the Word of God, and shows it unto us. He speaks what He hears, Christ, and feeds us the exact bread we need that day, anointing what pleases God, tailor-made food, just like His grace is tailor-made. [u]Again the same thing[/u]: How important it is that there be NO making of a name for ourselves and NO imaginations that lift themselves up against the knowledge of God as we seek to hear from God in His Word. OK, I am saying things that everybody knows. I think this explains the deadly poison of “proof texting” riddled throughout “name-it-and-claim-it” thinking (imaginations, never able to come to the knowledge of God).

[u]What translation of the Bible[/u]? Of course we all want the very best (truest) translation from the very best (truest) original/most original texts. HOWEVER, a moment’s meditation on the absolute sovereignty of God and His care for His Word brings a flood of true facts to mind. Like what translation did God use with Luther. The “Catholic Bible?” Was it Latin? Was it a corrupt text? [u]Man speaks many languages and they are all broken[/u].

[u]There is no word for grace in Swedish[/u]. My heart weeps at the thought of that. If I were an evangelist in Sweden, I would preach on Grace, every message and pray to communicate in preaching Grace, “the thing itself,” because there is grace and Great Grace for Sweden and all those that speak that language.

[u]I am so sorry this is long[/u]. IN SHORT, I only meant to point out that what is true of Swedish is probably true of every language (remembering the Tower). And to point out the absolute sovereignty of God and the power and work of His Holy Spirit in restoring communication (communion) [u]in any translation[/u]. I find that the KJV is good for me along with the Hebrew and Greek (via lexicon) when I am led into it. I am not basically smart (Ds, Fs and some Cs in high school), so surely there are tons of theologically wrong and wrongly written things in this. I would love to have a list of the words that different languages lack that have been discovered by those that God has called to translate the Bible. I think I recall that Love was a word missing in one language! Where is the seminary student that needs a subject for a paper? And I guess finally, I don’t really want the best translation or text. What I am really after is hearing Him, face to face, when I see Him. Isn’t that what is behind all our efforts after translation? (Hummm, translation …I must say I rather like the English language). But I long for the time we will speak to one another as He speaks. What a Revival that will be!

2008/10/4 7:02Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi ginnyrose...

Quote:
I have friends who are fluent in German. They prefer the German Bible over the English - the KJV! They say its meanings are clearer!

Interesting!

My wife reads the Bible is Spanish. I also tend to refer to a Spanish translation from the TR (that predates the KJV) in order to see how they translated certain portions of Scripture. Like our brother's example of Swedish, there are certain words that are simply difficult to find an exact replicate in English (or Spanish, for that matter). Thus, I tend to see how some of these words were translated into Spanish in the late 16th Century.

As for the broader sense of this question (NKJV or NASB...and KJV): Didn't we just go through this a couple of months ago? Perhaps the original poster could check through the previous thread for our thoughts and insight?

May the Lord bless and keep you all!

:-)

2008/10/4 11:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy