SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : gosh, golly, jeez and jeepers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Roniya, I thought of an example just now of Rab-shakeh's speech to Hezekiah and how afterwards Hezekiah tore his clothes and said it was a day of [i]...trouble, and of rebuke, and blasphemy[/i].

And the Lord also said that the Assyrian had blasphemed Him(2 Kings 19:6).

It seems to me that one of the ways they did this was in using language that was only appropriate for God to use; in trying to speak like God in a mocking way?

Some thoughts.

Wish you all well.

2008/9/27 16:48Profile

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:

Some words may have different meanings and usages which can vary in time and culture.

Other words God has defined Himself and we take it as such by their being in the Bible.

What do you think?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your responses. One question, has time erased the original meanings of these words? When did these mild oaths lose their meaning? It still says in the dictionary that they are euphemisms for God, Jesus, ect.. And I was talking to my brother about this and he said that of course people still use those words profanely. So that goes back to my original question:

If someone uses the name of Jesus in a profane manner and has no idea who Jesus is, are they still guilty of profaning the holy name of God?

That's a very poignant passage of Scripture on Rabshakeh and Hezekiah. Tragically, the idol worship of the Israelites gave Rabshakeh a false view of God.

"But if thou say to me, We trust in the LORD our God: is it not he, whose high places and whose altars Hezekiah hath taken away, and said to Judah and to Jerusalem, Ye shall worship before this altar?" Isaiah 36:7

There are certainly different ways to blaspheme God.

"Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?
24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written." Romans 2:23-24

It brings up the question...is there anything in my life that is hypocrisy or disobedience that will cause the heathen to blaspheme God?

A couple years ago I heard a sermon by Adrian Rogers on this very topic. Here's a snippet from a book on the Ten Commandments by him:

The Vanity of Profanity

The first thing you need to teach your children is never to use profanity. One of the most ignorant things a person could ever do is profane the name of God. When you use God’s name in profanity, it shows two things: an empty head and a wicked heart. You see, profanity reveals a feeble mind trying to express itself. But it also reveals a wicked heart truly expressing itself. “Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh,” Jesus said in Matthew 12:34

A profane mouth reveals a profane heart. Profanity using the name of God is an insult flung into His face. It’s so needless and unproductive, whereas other sins at least gain something (though not anything good). I’m not saying a person out to commit murder for revenge, but at least he gets revenge. I’m not saying a person ought to steal if he has a need, but at least he gets what he steals. But what does a person get when he takes God’s name in vain? Only judgment.

A fish might bite a hook that has no bait on it, but what does that accomplish? Similarly, taking God’s name in vain is an utterly pointless and excuseless sin. What contempt it shows for Almighty God. We often hear people asking God to damn another person even though Jesus suffered in agony and blood to save people. What a profane perversion of prayer it is to ask God to send somebody else to hell.

You say, “Adrian, we’ve got this one down. Our family doesn’t use that kind of language.” That’s wonderful. May I ask you a question? Do you permit secondhand swearing? I am referring to words such as darn, dang, gosh, and jeez.

“Oh,” you say, “those are just euphemisms. They’re just substitutes.” Yes, they certainly are. “Gosh” is a substitute for the name God. “Jeeze” is a substitute for the precious name of Jesus. And “darn” is simply a substitute for “damn”. A lot of people would be surprised if they knew what they were really saying when they said, “Gosh darn you.” We need to be careful with our speech. Don’t use even secondhand swearing or your kids might get the idea that profanity isn’t all that bad.

I can tell you there’s at least one man somewhere in America today who has been cured of using God’s name in a profane way. According to author Jerry Jenkins, this man had an encounter one day with the late Paul Anderson, a dear friend of mine who was known as “the strongest man in the world.”

Paul won the Olympic Gold Medal in weightlifting in 1956. One of his many feats of strength is cited in the Guinnes Book of World Records – lifting more than three tons with his back! He was only 5 feet 9 inches tall, but he weighed 375 pounds. He looked a little pudgy, but he was a slab of steel. He was incredibly strong.

Paul Anderson loved God with all of his heart. One day he was in an airport, and he heard a man use the name of Jesus Christ with an angry voice. Paul came up behind him, wrapped his arms around the man, and lifted him high in the air, asking excitedly, “Where is He? He’s a friend of mine!”

When this poor guy saw who was holding him, he cried out, “Oh, my God!”

Paul said, “That’s Him. Where is He?” I don’t know what happened to that fellow, but I’ll bet you he thought a long time before he ever took God’s name in vain again!

One of these days God’s going to put His arms around some of us and say, “Why did you take My name in vain? I’m your God—the God of the universe.” What will we say then?

~Adrian Rogers

[url=http://books.google.com/books?id=TY6-XkzaS4sC&pg=PA61&lpg=PA61&dq=adrian+rogers+on+second+hand+swearing&source=web&ots=Mn6VdrTIjm&sig=ZXNNfqtl7kahnmvbnl7KEhtOG9U&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA61,M1]source[/url]

2008/9/27 19:50
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Roniya, thank you for your response also :)

About this,

"One question, has time erased the original meanings of these words?"

I don't know. I think it is possible. It is certainly possible for words to change in meaning as they pass through time and usage.

Take for instance the word translated [i]addicted[/i] in the KJV of 1 Corinthains 16:15.

Or take for instance the names of the days of our week. Do they still hold the same meaning as they once did? Or Christmas?

I'm not sure that I should continue to participate in this thread. I do not want to discourage others from their convictions about these words.

Again though, I think we should be carefull in how we aproach this with others, and in charging them with guilt.

Thanks again and wish you well,

Chris

2008/9/27 23:13Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Chris wrote:

Quote:
and in charging them with guilt.

Brother, is this bad? Consider, would you have come to the LORD if there had been no guilt in your heart for sins committed? Guilt is to the mind what pain is to the flesh: it will work as a preventive from doing some things that will inflict pain. So is guilt to the spirit.

Quote:
Or take for instance the names of the days of our week. Do they still hold the same meaning as they once did? Or Christmas?

Is this not an altogether different subject? The original post dealt with profanity. But I do at time feel some unease in how we use the names given to the days of the week and the months of the year....

Quote:
I do not want to discourage others from their convictions about these words.

Agreed. God has spoken clearly to people concerning the use of this kind of language and to infer otherwise is tantamount to fighting Him.

May I suggest that if this is not a point of conviction for you that you make this a matter of prayer and ask God to reveal His truth to you in this matter. And if you resist this is in your spirit, does this not immediately inform you that there is indeed truth in this matter, one that you are resisting?

Ya'll have a blessed day in the LORD!

ginnyrose

2008/9/28 9:03Profile
HeartSong

Re:

I went to visit some family members yesterday. There was a small boy, his father and his grandfather.

As the boy and I walked to the creek, to throw stones in the mud, he used one of these euphemisms. When I explained what the word meant, he was taken back and said he had been using the word for two years.

We also talked of his new Nintendo toy. He just got it last Tuesday, but I could already see a change - the distance - as if he is in a different world. Over and over he told me how much fun the game was and proclaimed his delight in achieving the different levels.

Later, when we all sat around the table, partaking of the bounty of the Lord, the progression became clear.

The small boy refusing to eat because the food was not prepared to his taste.

The father, in a self induced stupor, proclaiming the achievements of his son - using euphemism after euphemism as if this somehow this gave credence to his statements.

The grandfather, also in a self induced stupor, looking weathered and worn, blatantly taking the Lord's name in vain - seemingly out of nowhere, muttering same, as if the gates of hell were at his door.

2008/9/28 11:53Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

In an PM I was made aware of the use of the word "euphemism" in describing these words. I got to thinking that perhaps my understanding of this term is not correct. So I looked it up in the Merriam-Webster dictionary and according to it an euphemism is "the substitution of a mild or pleasant expression for one offensive or unpleasant." Now if these words - golly, jeez, Gosh - are of a milder or pleasant expression of an offensive word, are these people saying the words God and Jesus are offensive? and Christians use it?!!

Quote:
I went to visit some family members yesterday. There was a small boy, his father and his grandfather.As the boy and I walked to the creek, to throw stones in the mud, he used one of these euphemisms. When I explained what the word meant, he was taken back and said he had been using the word for two years.

We also talked of his new Nintendo toy. He just got it last Tuesday, but I could already see a change - the distance - as if he is in a different world. Over and over he told me how much fun the game was and proclaimed his delight in achieving the different levels.

Later, when we all sat around the table, partaking of the bounty of the Lord, the progression became clear.

The small boy refusing to eat because the food was not prepared to his taste.

The father, in a self induced stupor, proclaiming the achievements of his son - using euphemism after euphemism as if this somehow this gave credence to his statements.

The grandfather, also in a self induced stupor, looking weathered and worn, blatantly taking the Lord's name in vain - seemingly out of nowhere, muttering same, as if the gates of hell were at his door.

HeartSong, God must have placed you there to teach the child....God bless you!

ginnyrose

2008/9/29 9:18Profile
HeartSong

Re:

I love these people. I have told each of them of my Lord - but they can not hear. If I did not know that our Father is far greater than the evil that is within them, I would be in total despair.

One of these people has hurt me terribly in the past - and I have told him that I forgive him - and that God will forgive him - but he will not believe. It is amazing how these things are carried down through the generations - and how their words are a reflection of their hearts. The Lord has said it would be so.

2008/9/29 13:24Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy