SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : gosh, golly, jeez and jeepers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

No sorry... this is becoming a silly conversation. Now we're gonna blame Leave It To Beaver for the break down of America? What next? Blame Barney Fife for police brutality?

Is Fred Flinstone to be blamed for the proliferation of the theory of evolution? (I hope not, I really like Fruity Pebbles!)

I'm exiting this conversation because this is a waste of time, my friend.

Krispy

2008/9/23 12:35
HeartSong

Re:

The seeds of the enemy are sown in the same manner as the seeds of Righteousness.

The are planted below the surface and watered. The roots grow down before the weeds grow up, breaking through the surface and exposing themselves to the air. This is why they are so difficult to extract.

2008/9/23 14:31Profile

Re:

"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption." Ephesians 4:28-30

Corrupt
4550 saprov sapros sap-ros’

from 4595; TDNT-7:94,1000; adj

AV-corrupt 7, bad 1; 8

1) rotten, putrefied
2) corrupted by one and no longer fit for use, worn out
3) of poor quality, bad, unfit for use, worthless

"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth." Colossians 3:8

How holy is God's name?

Eze 39:7 So will I make my holy name known in the midst of my people Israel; and I will not let them pollute my holy name any more: and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, the Holy One in Israel.

Ps 105:3 Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.

My parents taught us kids the meaning behind the words being discussed here and they've never been part of my vocabulary. Out of curiosity, what do people think those words mean?

Recently I listened to a sermon by Bill McCleod on [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=15980&commentView=itemComments]Little Foxes and Dead Flies.[/url] It's a good message (not complete, but what's there is excellent). And how little sins can creep into our lives and choke up the Word of God in our hearts. And it's got me to thinking about the 'little sins' (if any sin can be termed 'little') and the commands in the Epistles like those found in Ephesians 4 or Colossians 3...how much attention do we pay to these commands? How important are they to us?

Krispy's right about this not being a huge doctrinal issue, and maybe it isn't something that he needs to talk about. But I'm grateful for Laura (heartsong) bringing this up because it is good to consider our conversation. And maybe there's someone how there who's never heard the meaning of these words.

But the question remains, how holy is the name of Jehovah? What does His Name mean to us? I'm challenging myself here, because even in a prayer we can glibly say those words, '...and I ask this in Jesus' name.' How precious is His name to us? And how holy is the name of the God of this universe, the Creator who is perfect, holy, just and righteous. There is none like unto Him.

And what testimony to His name do our lives give? The verse in Ezekiel about the profaning of the Lord's name was done by Israel's actions and not necessarily by their words. The issue might not be Christians ignorantly using these words as slang...but what about our lives? Are we living lives that profane His name? Even by ignoring the little commands?

This is just some thoughts I've had on this and how I've been thinking in my own life about myself and my life.

2008/9/23 17:09
1over

Re:

Seems to me that HeartSong is only sharing what God is doing in his/her life and that is an important issue. Who is to say what is important and what is not? Many times there are discussions on this forum that are trivial at best, but that doesn't make them wrong. For example, "What's playing on your iPod?" Is that the most important issue we could discuss? Absolutely not. Is it worthwhile? Absolutely.

We are here to learn from each other and encourage each other.

I always appreciate hearing what God is teaching another believer. It may be something God taught me a long time ago. Or it may be something God will have to teach me in the future because I'm not quite mature enough to handle it yet. Many times, it's God using that person to teach me something right now. Or remind me of something I already know, but haven't been practicing lately because I'm not as close to Him as I need to be.

2008/9/23 17:48Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone,

Notme, you said,

"As for the words in question, unless the Spirit in you is grieved by the use of such words, you cannot know whether they are blasphemous. Those things are spiritually discerned, brother. We cannot go by our natural understanding or standards."

And then right after this you said to another poster in regards to their use of a phrase:

"I'd be terrified to say such a thing. Don't you know that unless you LOSE YOUR LIFE, you will not receive it? What life of your own and at your own disposal are you talking about?

You need to take that statement back. For such talk is unacceptable in the church of Christ. Maybe at a rock concert, yes; but not in the church!"

As he responded to you, as far as I know this expression that he used has nothing to do with actually saving or keeping your life.

This all seems very similar to the objections that have been raised here in the first, not in the exact particulars, but in the principle: that we may not at all be certain what others mean in the things they say, even though we may have some knowledge of their( words) meaning.

And so then we may need to proceed with caution in order to be carefull not to [b]create[/b] an offense in their conscience unescessarily.

Chris

2008/9/23 19:13Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Heartsong, how are you?

About this,

"It is not slang - it is literal - you are saying what is in your heart."

I was thinking about this and thought of an example from scripture that I think we could keep in mind as we consider these things.

Remember how the Lord Jesus' statement about His physical body was misunderstood by His hearers in John 2:13-21, and how later He was even falsely accused regarding this(Mat 26:61)?

Well, it seems to me that those who heard Him erred in at least two things: one, they assumed they understood what He was referring to and two, they interpreted His words on their own terms.

Now I don't mean to suggest that this is exactly applicable here, but I do think it can give us a reminder that we may not always have the facts and can't always be sure we know what others mean in what they say. Maybe we are reading into their words something from ourselves or that is important or offensive to us?

Again, I just think we need to be carefull here.

Take care for now,

Chris

2008/9/23 19:37Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Joy, well said. I would like to add one more concept not mentioned in this thread - I think.

Idle words: What sayeth the Scriptures? Consider:
Matthew 12: 36, 37: "But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."

ἀργός
argos
ar-gos'
From G1 (as a negative particle) and G2041; inactive, that is, unemployed; (by implication) lazy, useless: - barren, idle, slow.

Idle words - can we not learn through the aid of the Holy Spirit to make our words count, mean something when we speak?

ginnyrose

2008/9/23 23:18Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Fred and Barney

Quote:
If you read the post about the description of "Leave it to Beaver," you are reading about the breakdown of family in America.

I would think if we had Leave it to Beaver displacing tonights TV lineup that we had just entered the third Great Awakening.

Quote:
Is Fred Flinstone to be blamed for the proliferation of the theory of evolution? (I hope not, I really like Fruity Pebbles!)

:)

It's funny that I was just having this conversation not too far back with my step-son - The Flintstones were in essence "Prime Time" for awhile there when I was growing up ...

I am sorry to say that we are very, very far removed from those days - Days when there was at least a modicum of decency and even 'morals' were not yet taboo ...

But I will also admit that I have recognized where even the off shoots of these terms are not completely lost on me, I recognize that they were in essence a replacement for not taking the Lords name in vain, they are derivatives, "a way around it" if you will.

I tend to use "Good grief" a lot, Charlie Browns oft catch phrase.

Now if we could just get Peanuts back on the air in regular rotation ...

([i]Edit: Correction - Had "not sorry to say" there prior[/i])

2008/9/23 23:53Profile
Watered

Re:

You guys had bad cartoons back then hahahaha, now a days cartoons are so much better, Avatar the last airbender is like the coolest cartoon ever.

sorry to get of topic :)

is "oh my goodness" bad.. thats what i say

2008/9/24 0:03Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings

I use the term "Oh my goodness!" whenever I am shocked or surprised and I sigh very heavily whenever I am annoyed or frustrated. My children will always ask me if I am angry with them, so I guess it does not always have to be certain words that we use but rather the heart behind what we say and how we behave. At least I find that to be true for me.

On a side note I vote for the Charlie Brown cartoons to come back. I loved them. As for the Flintstones, Fred was always a bit of a male chauvinist for my tastes, but that's a whole other thread. :-)

God Bless
MJ

2008/9/24 0:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy